Seahawks Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Film Don't Lie: Seahawks

October, 7, 2014

By Terry Blount | ESPN.com

A weekly look at what the Seattle Seahawks must fix:

Throughout their Super Bowl winning run last season and now continuing into this season, the Seahawks have managed to overcome their one weak link: the offensive line.

But the problems up front almost bit them Monday night in their 27-17 victory over the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field if not for a record-setting effort by quarterback Russell Wilson.

As good as Wilson is (he ran for 122 yards, breaking a "Monday Night Football" record for rushing yards by a quarterback) his remarkable talent will not be enough in the long run unless the line shows major improvement over its performance against the Redskins.

The O-line had seven penalties and former Pro Bowl left tackle Russell Okung had three of them -- two holding calls and a false start. Center Max Unger also had two false starts.

Left guard James Carpenter was whistled for a holding call and a personal foul that caused two Percy Harvin touchdowns to be called back (Harvin also had another TD called back on his own false start).

The personal foul call on Carpenter for a late hit, in which he fell on top of a player, was questionable, but it doesn't change the fact that the offensive line had a horrible night overall, causing Wilson to constantly scramble from porous pass blocking. Wilson was sacked three times, but a quarterback lacking his mobility would have been sacked at least double that amount.

Of Wilson's 122 rushing yards, 85 came off scrambles. ESPN Stats & Information also showed Wilson was 6-of-8 for 95 yards and a touchdown on passes thrown under duress.

In other words, Wilson was successful despite the problems of his offensive line. But getting through the next 12 consecutive weeks healthy will not be easy unless the line corrects its mistakes and plays at a much higher level overall.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Throughout their Super Bowl winning run last season and now continuing into this season, the Seahawks have managed to overcome their one weak link: the offensive line.
Just wait until they have to face our attacking, relentless Dline.

:cry

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Big Picture: Seattle Is Best Test Yet For Dallas' New Identity

Posted 30 minutes ago

David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Given the way the last few seasons have gone, the Cowboys are in rare territory as they prepare to head on the NFL’s toughest road trip. Last weekend’s win against Houston gave Dallas its first four-game win streak since 2011, when the Cowboys won from Week 9 to Week 12.

A win this weekend in Seattle would be rarer, still. The Cowboys haven’t enjoyed a five-game win streak since 2007, when they opened the season 5-0, and also tore off a seven-game streak from Week 7 to Week 14. As no one needs to be reminded, that 2007 season saw the Cowboys win the NFC East and earn the NFC’s No. 1 playoff seed.

They’ll have their hands full pulling that off, as the Seahawks have so far lived up to their defending champion reputation with a 3-1 start. Seattle is 26-8 at home since Pete Carroll took over as the team’s head coach, and seven of those losses came in 2010 and 2011. Only the Arizona Cardinals have managed to beat the Seahawks in their last 18 home games.

If DeMarco Murray continues his streak of 100-yard games on Sunday, it will be his most impressive performance of the season. Seattle leads the league in rushing defense, allowing just 62 yards per game – a full 100 yards fewer than what the Cowboys are putting up.

Tony Romo has only thrown more than 30 passes in two of five games this season – the season-opening loss to San Francisco and last week’s overtime win against Houston. The Cowboys would likely prefer to lean on the running game, especially in a hostile road environment. But by taking the run game away, the Seahawks have forced every quarterback they’ve faced to throw at least 33 passes.

Sunday should mark the Cowboys’ toughest test yet of whether they can execute their run-first preferences against any opponent.

Seattle Seahawks

As the Seahawks showed Monday night against Washington, their ground game is plenty formidable in its own right. Seattle is sixth in the league in rushing offense, and they’re splitting that load between Marshawn Lynch’s power running and Russell Wilson’s dual-threat abilities.

Much like last year’s championship campaign, the Seattle defense has set the tone for a 3-1 start to the season. On top of the league-best run defense, the Seahawks are seventh in the league in pass defense and have limited Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning to passing totals of 189, 284 and 303, respectively.

All of that said, the Seahawks haven’t proven unstoppable so far this season. Rivers completed 75 percent of his passes for three touchdowns, and he led San Diego to a 30-21 win against the defending champs in Week 2. It took overtime for Seattle to win its Super Bowl rematch with Manning and the Broncos, and self-inflicted penalties kept them from putting away the Redskins in Week 5.

In an interesting quirk of the stats, the Seahawks’ vaunted defense is actually ranked one spot below the much-maligned Cowboys unit in scoring defense. The Cowboys are currently No. 8, with 20.6 points per game, while the Seahawks are ninth, allowing 20.8. Of course, with a Week 4 bye, Seattle has played one fewer game than Dallas.

Besides their defense, perhaps the most impressive thing going for the Seahawks is Wilson’s play. He isn’t piling on the passing yards, but he hasn’t had to. Wilson has the third-highest quarterback rating in the NFL, behind Rivers and Rodgers. He’s tied for the best completion percentage in the league – a whopping 70.3 percent – and he’s thrown eight touchdowns to just one interception in four games.

Wilson probably isn’t the best quarterback the Cowboys will face this year, but he might be the most efficient.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just wait until they have to face our attacking, relentless Dline.

:cry
Well, they could be doing it with a banged up Max Unger. He had his foot in a walking boot after the game. Bears watching.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If their OL is having problems that is at least one break for our defense. I couldn't tell a thing about their rush defense given how Washington couldn't stick with the run, but vs. Green Bay there was a stretch where Lacey and Starks were punishing them (until McCarthy mysteriously stopped running).

Dallas has to try and exploit that, no matter how well the Seahawks stuff it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And easily the smartest.
I don't know that Wilson is ahead of anyone in intelligence. His strength is primarily in his ability to run when his receivers are covered. It's his speed that makes the yardage. If he had to stay in the pocket and find an open receiver he would eat the ball like many of the QBs do. He is a gifted runner with good instincts but I don't think he is above average in his reads.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that Wilson is ahead of anyone in intelligence. His strength is primarily in his ability to run when his receivers are covered. It's his speed that makes the yardage. If he had to stay in the pocket and find an open receiver he would eat the ball like many of the QBs do. He is a gifted runner with good instincts but I don't think he is above average in his reads.
He missed potential open targets in the game against the Redskins. He is far from a perfect pocket passer. What he does out on the edges though is special. If you want to beat Wilson you have to keep him in the pocket and force him to try and find throwing lanes and sight lines with 6'6" guys right in front of him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Cowboys and Seahawks defenses are each giving up about 20 points per game. The Seahawks defense has 2 INT's and 6 sacks this year. The Cowboys defense has 6 INT's and 5 sacks.

They're the better team, sure. Especially in Seattle. But I'd still say we have a puncher's chance.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He missed potential open targets in the game against the Redskins. He is far from a perfect pocket passer. What he does out on the edges though is special. If you want to beat Wilson you have to keep him in the pocket and force him to try and find throwing lanes and sight lines with 6'6" guys right in front of him.

That is a tall order with all of the motion and misdirection they do. They can be really good at it when they are firing on all cylinders.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cowboys and Seahawks defenses are each giving up about 20 points per game. The Seahawks defense has 2 INT's and 6 sacks this year. The Cowboys defense has 6 INT's and 5 sacks.

They're the better team, sure. Especially in Seattle. But I'd still say we have a puncher's chance.
I'd feel that way if the game was being played in Dallas, but teams just don't walk into Seattle & win right now. If Seattle uncharacteristically makes a bunch of mistakes & Dallas capitalizes they can win the game, but I put the odds of that happening pretty low. That said, this Cowboys team has surprised me so far this season, so who knows. Winning in Seattle would be another big surprise.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Might as well just win and put ourselves on track for a first round bye.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this game were in Dallas, I might buy in to the puncher's chance rhetoric.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don’t like that we will probably end up running more zone than man so we can track Wilson. That is what got us out of sorts defensively vs SF.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don’t like that we will probably end up running more zone than man so we can track Wilson. That is what got us out of sorts defensively vs SF.
I hate watching our defense try to run zone coverage, but I think you are right. You either spy Wilson on every passing down or you run a heavy dose of zone coverage. Hell you may have to do both.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What I don't understand is why Washington never planned to contain Russell Wilson. They would rush through the OL like it was a sieve at times, but it was like they were game-planning against a pocket passer.

Top Bottom