McGinn's Draft Series - 2014

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob McGinn’s draft series: Receivers/Tight Ends

It's a great year, if you're looking for pass-catchers

Clemson's Sammy Watkins is considered the best wide receiver in the 2014 NFL draft.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

April 30, 2014

Bob McGinn Draft Series

Green Bay — As National Football League executives examine their draft boards ad nauseam, some will fret about less than stellar prospects in the defensive linemen and at tight end, running back and quarterback.

Then they'll gaze upon the multitude of wide receivers and know, as a comforting default move, it's the year to draft a pass catcher.

"I'm always cautious," said Rick Reiprish, the New Orleans Saints' director of college scouting. "I could (throw) out a number and say there's 12. With this group, if these guys go to the right teams, there could be a number of good players, because they're all talented."

In the last five drafts, an average of 12.8 wide receivers went off in the top 100. Teams might wait to draft here because of the sheer numbers, but there could be 15 or more in the first 100 this year.

How far down will teams still be able to secure a capable wide receiver?

"If you do your homework you can find that type of guy in the fourth round," said Don Gregory, the Carolina Panthers' director of college scouting.

It's not a stretch, according to Senior Bowl executive director and former Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage, to think this class could rival the greatest wide receiver drafts in history.

In 1978, the first 14 selections included James Lofton, Wes Chandler and John Jefferson.

In 1988, Michael Irvin, Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe and Anthony Miller were among the first 15 choices; Brian Blades, Brett Perriman and Willie "Flipper" Anderson arrived within a span of seven selections late in Round 2, and Michael Haynes came along atop the seventh round.

And, in order of their selection, the 1996 contingent counted Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens and Joe Horn.

"Ten years from now, when we add up the production of this entire class, I would expect the numbers would be very strong," Savage said. "Are there a couple Hall of Famers in here? Perhaps. They'll certainly get that chance because the ball is in the air."

The Journal Sentinel polled 17 personnel men with national responsibilities to name their five top wide receivers. A first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so forth.

Sammy Watkins, with 15 firsts and two seconds, led with 83 points.

He was followed by Mike Evans, 59 points; Odell Beckham, 55 (two firsts); Brandin Cooks, 25; Marqise Lee, 22; Jordan Matthews, three; Kelvin Benjamin, Cody Latimer and Paul Richardson, two; and Davante Adams and Shaq Evans, one.

From a subjective list of the top 14 wide receivers, the only senior is Matthews.

Of the other 13, only Martavis Bryant and Richardson had four years on campus. Everyone else spent the necessary minimum of three years, although Mike Evans and Benjamin redshirted in 2011 and after two seasons renounced their final two seasons of eligibility.

The unwanted ghost in every draft room is the reality that several of these unpolished gems will come a cropper in the NFL.

"This is the scariest position to draft from," said one scouting veteran. "There's more busts in the top 10 at that position. There's some really good players here, but until they do it I can't say it's a great group."

Of the 23 wide receivers selected among the top 10 in the last 15 drafts, a total of fourteen, or a stunning 61%, could be categorized as busts or disappointments.

The six busts were David Terrell, Charles Rogers, Reggie Williams, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

The eight disappointments were David Boston, Peter Warrick, Travis Taylor, Koren Robinson, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Ted Ginn Jr. and Justin Blackmon.

Six of the 23 were, are or probably will be among the very elite at the position: Torry Holt, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green and Julio Jones. The last five stand at least 6 feet 2 inches.

Plaxico Burress and Michael Crabtree have been very good performers; it's too early to tell about Tavon Austin.

"Part of it is the way the college game is played now," said Savage. "In a number of systems the player may only run six routes. In the NFL, you're asked to do a lot more.

"In college, there aren't as many sight adjustments and hot reads. The complications of the pressure defense is not there as much as it is in pro football.

"The biggest factor is you're going to get man coverage in your face in the NFL. In college football, you don't get that as much."

Five of the six top-10 busts entered the NFL as underclassmen, as did five of the eight disappointing players.

One team uncovered a significant correlation in the failure rate for junior wide receivers that had fewer than 36 receptions before their final season.

"Receivers that have two years of very good production have a much higher rate of success," an executive from that club said. "Guys that catch a lot of balls end up being pretty good players."

Be warned that Benjamin, with just 30 receptions before his 54-catch sophomore season, and Bryant, with only 19 before a 42-catch junior season, fall in the danger zone for callow wide receivers.

"Bryant is a maybe and I don't major in maybes," an AFC personnel man said. "Maybe there's some people that like maybes. I'm not a maybe guy."

Dismissing Benjamin, another scout said: "He's stiff and lazy. Can't separate. Inconsistent catcher. I don't think he has off the field what it takes to be great on field.

"Other than that he'll be fine."

At tight end, the Journal Sentinel poll asking for the top four prospects was cut and dried. Eric Ebron got the nod from all 17 execs to become the first unanimous choice at the position since Brandon Pettigrew in 2009.

Following Ebron, who had the maximum 68 points, were Austin Seferian-Jenkins, 37; Jace Amaro, 33; Troy Niklas, 16; C.J. Fiedorowicz, 11; Jake Murphy, three; and Arthur Lynch, two.

"Once you get past the first two or three everyone else you just put them in a bag and kind of shake them up," one scout said. "There's nothing that really stands out. The tough part is all the guys that are talented have off-field issues."

UNSUNG HERO

Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State: Played well in the East-West Game, then arrived on Wednesday of Senior Bowl week as an injury replacement and caught five passes for 62 yards and one TD in the game. Three-year starter with 111 receptions. Had to play defensive end in 2010 because of injury. Scrappy blocker.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh: Three-year starter. Broke Pitt's record for career receptions with 202. Nice size (6-3, 196), 37-inch vertical jump and knows how to play. Also has an inflated opinion of himself. Will his selfish streak prevent him from accepting a lesser role in the NFL?

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Bernie Scherer, end, Nebraska: Third-round choice in 1936, which was the inaugural NFL draft. Backed up Don Hutson from1936-'38 before completing career with Pittsburgh in 1939. For Green Bay, he caught 10 passes for 193 yards and three TDs.

QUOTE TO NOTE

Longtime NFL personnel man: "I was asked if I'd take a corner now or a wide receiver. All these years I'd be taking a corner. Now, if it's a big-time shutdown corner or a big-time wide receiver that will (earn) the respect of the defense, the way the game's played now, I'm taking the receiver."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob McGinn’s draft series: Quarterbacks

NFL insiders split on outlook for Johnny Football as draft approaches

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

May 1, 2014

Bob McGinn Draft Series

Green Bay — Say you're Rick Smith, the general manager of the Houston Texans.

As Smith does now, Dan Reeves controlled the first selection in the 2001 draft for the Atlanta Falcons. After trading up for the pick one day before the draft, Reeves' choice was Michael Vick.

Before long, Smith and the Texans must make their tortured call on quarterback Johnny Manziel. If they knew Manziel's career would approximate Vick's, should they do it?

"Was Michael Vick's career a hit or miss?" an AFC personnel director said last week. "He's won playoff games, made a lot of money, been a starter, excited a lot of people. At the same time, did he really live up to it?"

Now a 33-year-old insurance policy for the New York Jets, Vick owns a 58-48-1 record in the regular season as a starter for the Falcons and Eagles. His passer rating of 80.9 doesn't factor in his 5,857 rushing yards, most ever by a quarterback.

One of his greatest victories came against the Green Bay Packers in the 2002 wild-card playoffs as snow fell at Lambeau Field. Returning from almost two years in prison for funding a dog-fighting ring, Vick appeared almost unstoppable at times down the stretch in 2010.

"I think he'll have an up and down career like Michael Vick's," an NFC executive said. "Some good. Some bad."

That's a little how Manziel's two-year career went at Texas A&M.

"He typifies the SportsCenter generation," said Thomas Dimitroff, currently the Falcons' general manager. "As far as being reminiscent of anyone in the past, to me he's of a different generation of quarterback. It will be interesting to see how his career plays out."

Last month, the Journal Sentinel asked 20 executives in personnel if, when the book was closed on Manziel's pro career, it would be considered a hit or a miss.

Underscoring the Texans' dilemma, eight scouts guessed hit and 12 guessed miss.

"Do you want somebody that's not even 50-50 on that poll to be your franchise quarterback?" said an NFL personnel man. "He's a damn good athlete and great competitor, but he's a party animal and he ain't the smartest."

The personnel people also were asked to choose one word to describe Manziel, who became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, in 2012.

Those that forecast Manziel's career to be a hit chose brazen, electric (twice), entertaining, exciting, swagger, Tarkenton and unpredictable.

Those that expect Manziel to miss selected competitive (twice), dangerous, different, difference-maker, electric, energetic, gamer, magical, playmaker, spontaneous and winner.

"I really like Johnny Manziel," said Rick Reiprish, the New Orleans Saints' director of college scouting who has been beating college campuses for players since 1979. "He's very worthy of being a high first-round pick.

"Some of the throws the kid has made...Fran Tarkenton, he didn't have the arm strength this kid has. He'll drive you crazy if you let him, but he's going to do a lot of good things for you, too."

Measured at 5 feet 11 3/4 inches, Manziel will become just the eighth quarterback shorter than 6-0 to be drafted in the last 28 years.

In order, the list includes Kevin Sweeney (5-11 1/2), seventh round, 1987; Danny McManus (5-11 1/2), 11th round, '88; Jeff Blake (5-11 1/2), sixth round, '92; Ty Detmer (5-11 1/2), ninth round, '92; Joe Hamilton (5-10), seventh round, 2000; Seneca Wallace (5-11 1/2), fourth round, '03; and Russell Wilson (5-10 1/2), third round, '12.

The fact the Seattle Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with Wilson has put the question of Manziel's height on the back burner. Be that as it may, there's plenty good reason for the age-old stigma against short quarterbacks.

"The only thing that's going to hurt him is him being 5-11," said C.O. Brocato, a consultant for the Tennessee Titans and the grand old man of NFL scouts. "Only thing that worries me, if he can't get away from those big guys up here, it's going to be tough for him.

"He's such a damn good athlete with such quickness, he can be in one spot and roll out the other way and be on his way down the field. But you don't do that too many times up here. You can stand on the sideline, and hitting is so much different than what you hear in college."

Former NFL personnel director Phil Savage, the analyst for the Alabama radio network, has researched defenses coached by Nick Saban at Michigan State, Louisiana State and the Crimson Tide.

"Not since 1998-'99 has a Nick Saban-coached defense been taken apart in back-to-back years like Drew Brees did for Purdue against Michigan State," said Savage. "Manziel is the only quarterback that actually exceeded his performance the second time around. He threw for 464 (yards) and five TDs (and rushed for 98) the second time.

"I watched eight or 10 games last summer getting ready for the (Texas A&M) game. After the little missteps last spring, I thought this guy was a college legend folklore player that probably won't have much of an NFL career.

"Alabama had nine months basically to get ready for the game (Sept. 14). For him to march down the field the first two times as if they were going against air...this is a great football player."

Still, Manziel barely won a Journal Sentinel poll of 17 personnel people with national orientation asking each to name the five best players. A first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

Here were the first-place votes: Manziel, eight; Blake Bortles, four; Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr, two; and Zach Mettenberger, one.

Here were the point totals: Manziel, 68; Bortles, 61; Carr, 49; Bridgewater, 41; Jimmy Garappolo, 16; Mettenberger, six; A.J. McCarron and Aaron Murray, five; Tom Savage, three; and Logan Thomas, one.

"People think these guys are going to be saviors," one scout said. "The Manziels, the Bortles, the Bridgewaters, the Carrs, they're not franchise quarterbacks. They're just starters, at best.

"The Andrew Lucks don't come along but once every 10 years."

UNSUNG HERO

David Fales, San Jose State: Redshirted behind Colin Kaepernick in 2009 at Nevada, played two seasons in junior college and then went 17-8 with a passer rating of 109.8 at San Jose State. Small (6-1½, 211) and slow (5.00). However, he might be the most accurate passer in the draft.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Brendon Kay, Cincinnati: Started only as a senior after enduring all kinds of back and shoulder injuries. Good athlete with a good arm. Should be drafted late if the medical doesn't kill his chances.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Rod Hermes, QB, Beloit: Drafted in the 30th and last round in 1956. Stood 6-2, weighed 202. He was the last Buccaneer to be drafted. One reason he didn't make it was the 17th-round selection that year of another quarterback, Bart Starr, from Alabama.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel man: "They say wait and get a quarterback later. Yeah, you'll set that team up with all those good players for the next guy if you don't have a quarterback. You can do all that if you're on TV or in fantasyland. The way owners pull the trigger now, you better get good pretty quick."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen

Colorado State center Weston Richburg is among the best in a bumper crop of centers.

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top offensive linemen in the draft next week.

Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES

1. GREG ROBINSON, Auburn (6-5, 329, 4.91, 1) – Redshirted in 2011 before starting two seasons at LT. "He's such a massive human being," one scout said. "He's explosive, everything. He overextends some, but he's a better athlete than (Cyrus) Kouandjio and way more powerful. He'll mash you. You can see his punch. He comes off the ball. He's not as tall as (Orlando) Pace but he ran good, too." At the combine, his arms were measured at 35 inches, his hands at 10 inches, and he scored 22 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's bust-proof," another scout said. "He might be a right tackle, not a left tackle. He's got great feet and great punch. He mauls people." Not so fast, according to scouts who worry about his underdeveloped pass-protection skills. "I love Robinson, but what hurts him is he doesn't know how to pass block yet," a third scout said. "It's not his fault. It's the scheme." From Thibodaux, La.

2. JAKE MATTHEWS, Texas A&M (6-5½, 308, 5.04, 1) – Latest pro from the famed Matthews clan that includes Hall of Fame father Bruce, perennial all-pro uncle Clay Jr. and standout cousin Clay III of Green Bay. "He'll walk in and play left tackle and sit there for 10, 12 years," said one scout. "If he plays like his dad, he'll be there 19 years. He's an easy choice for anybody. Real consistent. Technically sound. Moves well. Got a great demeanor." Three-year starter at RT before replacing Luke Joeckel at LT in '13. "He's an all-pro guard in my mind and probably could be an all-pro center," another scout said. "He played much better at right tackle than he did left tackle this year. But you can't miss on him." Scored 32 on the Wonderlic. "I do think he could (get knocked around)," a third scout said. "He's got short arms (333/8). I don't think he'll be a left tackle. People fall in love with the last name. If his last name was something else, I don't think he'd be picked as high, honestly. Jake Matthews is a very good player, but I don't see much difference between him and Zack Martin." From Missouri City, Texas.

3. TAYLOR LEWAN, Michigan (6-7, 311, 4.85, 1) – Four-year starter at LT. "He's had some off-the-field issues," one scout said. "He's also bigger, more athletic and has longer arms than Matthews. He's the fastest O-lineman in the draft. I know he can pass protect from left tackle. He is the guy that is not getting his real due, OK?" Also led tackles in the broad jump (9-9), bench-pressed 29 times and posted 21 on the Wonderlic. "He'd be an OK left (tackle) and a good right tackle," another scout said. "There's some issues there, I'm sure. Somebody described him as Eddie Haskell, which is probably a good analogy. I don't worry about that. But you don't want to be getting calls at night on the guy." Has repeatedly lost his cool on and off the field. "He's got a mean streak," a third scout said. "He's eccentric. When he was young, he'd ride around campus on a tandem bike. Not a typical Midwestern lineman." From Cave Creek, Ariz. "(Jake) Long was better because Lewan is undisciplined," a fourth scout said. "He's a better athlete than Jake Long, but he's not as tough. He's about 10% of the leader Jake Long was. Lewan's in it for himself. He loves it when people tell him how great he is. It's to his detriment."

4. CYRUS KOUANDJIO, Alabama (6-6½, 322, 5.57, 1-2) – Third-year junior started two seasons at LT. "Extremely long arms (355/8) and an outstanding pass protector," one scout said. "Still learning the run game and getting good leverage. That's going to come. You're talking about a left tackle for a long, long time." Ran a horrendous 40 at the combine and worked out poorly. "Boy, after the way he ran, (expletive), I'd be scared of him," said another scout. "That was terrible. Wait 'til he starts matching up here. I don't think it's going to work. If anything, I think he's got to go to guard." Blew out an ACL two years ago but it remains a major problem. Executives from two teams said their doctors flunked him, and two other clubs expressed concern. "Some teams will say they're not worried about it, he can give us four or five years," a third scout said. "He does have ability. For whatever reason he just did not play to that ability this season. Very inconsistent this year. Probably needed another year." Won't turn 21 until July. From Hyattsville, Md.

5. JA'WUAN JAMES, Tennessee (6-6, 311, 5.28, 1-2) – Four-year starter at RT. "Athletic enough to play either side but more suited to the right," one scout said. "He can walk in and start for you right off the bat. Solid, not spectacular. Has a lot of talent. One of those eight- to 12-year guys as a starter if he can stay healthy." Has 35-inch arms. "Very intelligent (Wonderlic of 25), great kid, solid player," said another scout. "Great family. Just draft him because you'll never have a problem with this kid." From Suwanee, Ga. "He's kind of like (Alabama's D.J.) Fluker from last year," a third scout said. "Just a big, powerful guy with long arms."

6. JACK MEWHORT, Ohio State (6-6, 312, 5.38, 2) – Started at guard in 2011 and at LT in 2012-'13. "I can't get him in the first round because he falls off too many blocks," one scout said. "He's got athleticism, toughness, leadership skills and work ethic. Somebody will get a real solid player there in the second round." Bright (Wonderlic of 36), committed and has 34-inch arms. "He doesn't have a dominant feature that would put him in the first round," another scout said. "He's not athletic enough to play left tackle, and he's not powerful enough to play right, and he doesn't bend well enough to play guard. If he does go first round that's a huge reach. Kind of like when Atlanta took the kid from USC (LT Sam Baker, 2008)." From Toledo, Ohio. "He's a tough kid, a throwback," a third scout said. "I don't want him as my left tackle. He's not athletic enough. To me, he could play guard. If (the 49ers') Alex Boone can do it so can this guy."

7. MORGAN MOSES, Virginia (6-6, 312, 5.20, 2-3) – "I was disappointed in him, I really was," one scout said. "He looks like Tarzan but kind of plays like Jane." Made his first 30 starts at RT and his final 12 at LT. "In September, I'd have said forget this guy, he's overrated," another scout said. "But the guy had a really good year doing what he does best, and that's outside pass pro. Not a good play-strength guy. Not a good run blocker. Has never really embraced the whole process as far as passion and work ethic." Long arms (353/8). "He's got some fatal flaws in terms of stiffness," a third scout said. "I could see him being a starter but not a very good starter." Although fearing he might revert back to his lazy past, a fourth scout said, "He may sneak into the bottom of the first. He's a better player than (Seantrel) Henderson and (Antonio) Richardson and a 1,000 times better kid and teammate." A fifth scout gave him a fourth-round grade. "Those Virginia offensive linemen scare the heck out of me," he said. "They're always athletic as heck but they're soft. There's something about Virginia. Maybe it's too academic or something." From Richmond, Va.

8. ANTONIO RICHARDSON, Tennessee (6-6, 330, 5.30, 3) – Goes by "Tiny." Third-year junior with 24 starts at LT. "He's not a sudden twitchy guy, but he's so big and massive," one scout said. "He's not a fast, short-area athlete. Probably better on the right side, and maybe down the road he can move inside. But you've seen guys with worse athletic ability than him get it done on the left." Played on a surgically repaired knee in 2013 and appeared hampered. He's off one team's board medically. "At one time people had him as a potential first-rounder," another scout said. "I did not see that. I don't like his lower body. He's top-heavy. I don't see the power to play the right side or the agility to play the left side." Strongest tackle on the bench press (36 reps). Has 35-inch arms, too. "I wouldn't bet on it (becoming a starter)," said a third scout. "He's not tough enough, smart enough, all that stuff." From Nashville, Tenn.

9. SEANTREL HENDERSON, Miami (6-7, 335, 5.05, 3-4) – Started 26 of 43 games at RT. "He's got a big, beautiful body but he didn't play with a sense of urgency," one scout said. "He quit on the (pro day) workout. I thought he was a lazy butt down there at the Senior Bowl. I'm not much for taking them dogs myself." Certainly looks the part. "He has the talent to be right there behind the Auburn kid (Greg Robinson)," said another scout. "He's amazingly athletic." He admitted to scouts and in interviews that his multiple suspensions were because of marijuana use. "Off the board," a third scout said. "Dope, dope and more dope. He needs help." From Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul, Minn., where he was the nation's No. 1-rated offensive lineman in 2010. "Personally, I wouldn't (draft him)," a fourth scout said. "But you start going through the board of guys that can actually start in the league and be good starters, I mean, there aren't many guys. Somebody will take a flier on him." Wonderlic of 15.

10. MICHAEL SCHOFIELD, Michigan (6-6½, 303, 5.01, 4) – Started 10 games at LG in 2011 next to Lewan and the past two seasons at RT. "If Taylor Lewan wasn't there you'd hear about him more," one scout said. "There's not a lot of difference between them. He's physical. Very tough. He's a good football player and a great kid. He doesn't get by 50." From Orland Park, Ill. "He's a backup," another scout said. "He might start at guard but he's got to get stronger. He's an average athlete. He's one of those old, solid, play-for-eight years Michigan guys. But I wouldn't want him as my starter."

OTHERS: Cameron Fleming, Stanford; Charles Leno, Boise State; Billy Turner, North Dakota State; Justin Britt, Missouri; Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGill (Canada); Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt; Luke Lucas, Kansas State; James Hurst, North Carolina; Matt Patchan, Boston College; Kevin Graf, Southern California.

GUARDS

1. ZACK MARTIN, Notre Dame (6-4, 309, 5.2, 1) – Started a school-record 52 games, all at LT. "Love him," one scout said. "Not a real bulky guy. All I know is he's got a great jam and can punch the hell out of you. Nobody beats him. Everybody keeps wanting to move him inside. Well, you better have somebody that can block those outside rushers." Height and arm length (327/8) make a move to guard or even center seem inevitable if not immediate. "Damn good," said another scout. "He might be as safe a pick as there is. I like him better than the (David) DeCastro kid (from the 2012 draft). DeCastro never could have played left tackle at Notre Dame." Two-time captain from Indianapolis. Wonderlic scores of 21 and 27. "Much better player than (Justin) Pugh a year ago," a third scout said. "This guy's a tougher, stronger guy. He can get you out of a game as a tackle but he'll be a really good guard."

2. XAVIER SU'A-FILO, UCLA (6-4, 306, 5.02, 1-2) – Started 21 games at LG and 19 at LT in 2009, '12 and '13; went on a Mormon mission to the Florida Panhandle in 2010-'11. "He's got really good foot and body quickness," one scout said. "Better off playing inside. You worry a little bit about the power there but he's a very good athlete. I can see in the right system somebody falling in love with him." Third-year junior from Pleasant Grove, Utah. "Tough kid and plays hard," another scout said. "Just needs some technique work." Will be 24 in January. Should become the Bruins' highest-drafted O-lineman since 1999. "The pear-shaped body kind of holds me back," a third scout said. "He's got good feet. He'll sustain."

3. JOEL BITONIO, Nevada (6-4, 304, 4.94, 1-2) – Started at RT in 2011-'12 and at LT in '13. "He's pretty efficient as a left tackle but best suited as a guard," one scout said. "He doesn't have elite feet or length (337/8 arms). He's a tough (expletive). He's not a road-grader. He needs to get stronger but he tries to finish your (expletive) and he's smart (Wonderlic of 29). He's really grooved." Blocked well against UCLA LB Anthony Barr in the 2013 opener. "He can play tackle, guard or center," another scout said. "All he does is block his guy. Tough, smart. Second round."

4. GABE JACKSON, Mississippi (6-3, 338, 5.51, 2-3) – Started all 52 games at LG. "He's big, in the (Larry) Warford class," said one scout, referring to the Kentucky guard drafted in the third round by Detroit last year. "He moves better than Warford did. He has second-round ability. My issue is if he can pass block." Strong, tough and a dependable technician. "If you're a power team he'd be OK," another scout said. "He's all right if the (defense) doesn't move. He'll come off the ball and hit you." From Liberty, Miss. "He's kind of been leaking oil since the season," said a third scout. "People were kind of high on him early on. Ever since the Senior Bowl he's come down to earth. Now I see him as just a downhill power guard."

5. TRAI TURNER, Louisiana State (6-2½, 308, 4.95, 2-3) – Third-year sophomore with 20 starts at RG. "Not a real massive guy in terms of lower-body strength," one scout said. "He overcomes some of that by playing with pretty good toughs and motor. He works to finish his blocks. He's quick and has some straight-line speed, but he's a little stiff in some of the change of direction stuff. He's a young, young guy. Raw and has a little ways to go." His 21st birthday isn't until June. "Strong guy, got some feet, long arms (34)," said another scout. "Doesn't play hard all the time. Probably end up being a center. I know people love him. He doesn't thrill me." From New Orleans.

6. CYRIL RICHARDSON, Baylor (6-4½, 331, 5.29, 3) – Played in a spread offense for the Bears before getting down in a two-point stance at the Senior Bowl and having a brutal week. "He had a little problem down there but that doesn't bother me so much," one scout said. "I just think he can do it. He's powerful. He can pull, he can fold, he traps, he can run block and he'll knock you down. He's a little bit like the tackle from Auburn (Robinson) in terms of run blocking. Larry Warford was probably a better pass blocker." Started at LT in 2011 and at LG three other years. "He's kind of too big," said another scout. "He's a plodder." Second-longest arms among the guards (345/8). "Lazy," said a third scout. "Big, fat, lazy." Went to high school in Fort Worth, Texas, after moving from New Orleans in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina.

7. DAVID YANKEY, Stanford (6-5½, 316, 5.49, 3-4) – Fourth-year junior with 26 starts at LG and 14 at LT. "A real battler," said one scout. "Generally a good anchor. Gets careless with head duck and will lunge. A Stanford kid will do what he needs to do to be successful." Smart (Wonderlic of 30), has 34-inch arms and adequate strength. "He's consistent at being inconsistent," another scout said. "There's a lot of want there, but I just think he's nonathletic. He's a stiff guy. That bothers me. But you know what? There's so many in the league like that. I don't like him." From Roswell, Ga. "I must not know what the heck I'm doing," a third scout said. "He's one of the most disappointing guys I saw. I see that guy get pushed around, then he ran 5.5 at the combine. You've got to be kidding me. Free agent."

8. BRANDON THOMAS, Clemson (6-3½, 318, 5.07, 4-5) – Everything changed in spring when he blew out a knee in an individual workout with the Saints. "He'd have gone second round," said one scout. "Somebody that's got some extra picks in the third may shelve him. He's got a chance to start." Started 30 games at LT and nine at LG, but projected to guard by most teams because of height. Has the arm length (34¾) to play outside. "He is going to change pro workouts," said another scout. "He is all about football. Coach on the field. Why do (we) need all these extra workouts? They've seen them on tape. If you worked out at the combine, there should be no workouts permitted after that. If you didn't, you get one workout. Who's going to pay for this kid's problem that was created by the New Orleans Saints? I think these workouts are foolish." From Spartanburg, S.C.

9. DAKOTA DOZIER, Furman (6-3½, 313, 5.39, 4-5) – Four-year starting LT almost certainly will shift to guard. "He played good against LSU (Oct. 26) and he was (expletive) against (expletive) competition," one scout said. "He can sink, he can bend, he's athletic. Just not real nasty. Needs to get stronger. There will be a learning curve. He plays a little cautious. He is talented." From West Columbia, S.C. "Tough, physical player," another scout said. "He actually has a little bit of an up side and could probably start." Added a third scout: "He might be the best small-school guy out there."

10. SPENCER LONG, Nebraska (6-4½, 320, 5.2, 4-5) – Walk-on from Elkhorn, Neb., who arrived as a 245-pound DE in 2009. "Kind of a self-made guy," one scout said. "I think he's a starter in the league as long as his knee checks out." Underwent season-ending surgery for MCL damage after being hurt in the sixth game. "Not a great athlete but he moves well enough to get out in space," another scout said. "But he's more of a mauler type." Three-year starter at RG. "(Expletive), no," said a third scout. "He's stiff. He's sixth or seventh round for us."

OTHERS: Chris Watt, Notre Dame; John Urschel, Penn State; Ryan Groy, Wisconsin; Zach Fulton, Tennessee; Brandon Linder, Miami; Kadeem Edwards, Tennessee State; Anthony Steen, Alabama; Matt Feiler, Bloomsburg; Jon Halapio, Florida; Andrew Norwell, Ohio State.

CENTERS

1. WESTON RICHBURG, Colorado State (6-3½, 301, 5.10, 2-3) – It's regarded as a solid class of centers with no clear-cut top prospect. "Richburg's a starter if you run a zone scheme," one scout said. "Little undersized but he'll cut you, like the guys at Denver with Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak. He's a damn (good) athlete. He was a quarterback (early) in high school. (Size) is a problem." His 50 starts included 45 at center, three at guard and two at tackle. "He has a little more lead in his pencil than I thought," said another scout. "Not as physical as you'd like sometimes, but he's not exactly a finesse guy. He'll be an eventual serviceable starter." Grew up on a farm in Bushland, Texas. "He's the second-best center," a third scout said. "That kid's a good player. At the Senior Bowl in the one-on-one drills he's the only one that could hang with the little terror D-tackle from Pitt (Aaron Donald)."

2. MARCUS MARTIN, Southern California (6-3, 319, 5.27, 2-3) – Third-year junior. "On tape he looked like he was a pudgy little rascal," one scout said. "He had a little bit of uneven in his play. I wondered about strength if he gets covered up with a nose. He was real competitive. You knew he was leading the pack. He was athletic enough with good strength, not great strength." Started 20 games at LG before moving to the pivot in 2013 and starting 13. "Better player than he is an athlete," another scout said. "He's not great at the second level. Kind of a Steady-Eddie, but effective." Longest arms (34) among centers. Wonderlic of 20. "Boy, I didn't like that guy at all," a third scout said. "I thought that guy was soft and non-physical. He's got a bad body." From Los Angeles.

3. RUSSELL BODINE, North Carolina (6-3, 306, 5.20, 3-4) – Fourth-year junior. "This guy is never off his feet," one scout said. "He slams people to the ground and then stays on his feet. He tested poorly...but the game is called football. It's not a track meet. He's not pretty but neither was the Wisconsin center (Travis Frederick)." Two-year starter. Repped 42 times on the bench press, a combine high this year. "He's your old-school type," another scout said. "He needs a lot of technique work. Has a little (expletive) to him. Tough, mean, all that stuff. Not a great lateral player. Might be better at guard." Wonderlic of 31. From Scottsville, Va. "Hate him," a third scout said. "Big, strong guy. Can't move. Doesn't play hard all the time. Struggles with change of direction."

4. TRAVIS SWANSON, Arkansas (6-5, 312, 5.24, 4) – Described by one scout as "an athletic, understrength center." Started 50 games in the middle. "Good mental and physical toughness," said a second scout. "Lacks some flexibility and redirect quickness, which bothers me a little bit. He could start for somebody but you'd always be looking to replace him." From Kingwood, Texas. Unimpressive in the Senior Bowl, especially when trying to play guard. "Not a very good athlete," a third scout said. "Has good size, intangibles, smart, all that kind of stuff. I don't know anybody that likes him. He just doesn't play very well."

5. GABE IKARD, Oklahoma (6-3½, 302, 5.14, 5-6) – Started 32 games at center and 18 at LG. "He's not very strong," said one scout. "I like people that can move somebody out of the way. He's really, really soft. But he's smart and moves well. People will like that." Wonderlic of 38. Graduated a year ago with a perfect grade-point average. Unquestioned team leader. "He's got some starter traits," another scout said. "He's going to have to fit what you want to do, though. Playing against big nose tackles is going to be hard for him."

OTHERS: Bryan Stork, Florida State; Tyler Larsen, Utah State; Jonotthan Harrison, Florida; Corey Linsley, Ohio State; James Stone, Tennessee; Matt Armstrong, Grand Valley State; Matthew Paradis, Boise State; Luke Bowanko, Virginia; Zac Kerin, Toledo; Ryan Jones, San Jose State.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Running backs

May 3, 2014

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top running backs and fullbacks in the draft. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

RUNNING BACKS

1. CARLOS HYDE, Ohio State (6-0, 232, 4.61, 2) – Came off a three-game suspension for off-field trouble to start 2013 and had his finest season. "Complete player," one scout said. "Stud. He's powerful. Great athlete. Great run feel. Catches the ball very well. He'll block. Picks up all the protections, even calls some protections. He's a good-hearted kid but he needs mentoring." Finished with 523 carries for 3,198 yards (6.1) and 37 touchdowns, and 34 receptions. Carried 53 times for 372 (7.0) to help overpower Michigan the past two seasons. "He doesn't have the burst or acceleration to be a difference-maker," said another scout. "He doesn't have much juice." Scored extremely low (9) on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test before improving to 13 at the combine. "It's the overall type person," said a third scout. "When you meet him you don't totally buy in. They don't sell him at the school as your eat-sleep-drink football type. He enjoys the night life. Not as big on the work ethic during the week. Loves Saturdays. Doesn't really put in the time. Kind of plays on talent." From Naples, Fla.

2. JEREMY HILL, Louisiana State (6-0½, 233, 4.65, 2) – Third-year sophomore declared after rushing for 1,401 yards in 2013 and averaging 6.9, breaking Garrison Hearst's Southeastern Conference record of 6.8 set in 1992. "He's a complete back," said one scout. "He can be an every-down player and carry the load. He's really good in the passing game, too. Smooth runner. Natural run instincts." Pleaded guilty in January 2011 to carnal knowledge of a juvenile in a high school incident, was given two years probation and redshirted. Finished with 345 carries for 2,156 yards (school-record 6.3) and 28 TDs, and caught 26 passes. "That big (expletive) is faster and a better athlete than Hyde, and he catches the (expletive) out of it," another scout said. "Damn right I like him as a starter." Wonderlic of 22. From Baton Rouge, La. "I don't like his makeup and the way he runs," a third scout said. "He's soft for a big guy. Some people say he's strong. He's not at all. He's got athletic talent and he's big, but he's a soft runner."

3. BISHOP SANKEY, Washington (5-9½, 209, 4.53, 2) – Third-year junior. "He's got a little bit of Emmitt Smith in him," said one scout. "He's like a poor man's Emmitt Smith. He can run everywhere. He's just not a real burner. But he's got quickness and vision, and he's a hell of a kid. He's tougher than (expletive)." Gained 1,870 yards last year, breaking Corey Dillon's school record. Finished with 644 carries for 3,496 yards (5.4) and 37 TDs, breaking Napoleon Kaufman's school mark of 34. "Napoleon Kaufman was much more straight-line than Sankey," said a second scout. "This guy has more moves and more pure speed. He's not as strong as Emmitt but looks the way Emmitt looked when he came to the Cowboys. I just don't think he will be big enough to take the every-day pounding." From Spokane, Wash. "He's pretty damn good," said a third scout. "He's not dynamic but the kid's got great feel and is quick as hell. Real similar to Giovani Bernard."

4. TRE MASON, Auburn (5-8½, 206, 4.48, 2-3) – Third-year junior. "I think he's built for the league the way it is now," one scout said. "Now it (his size) is fine. He'll be a great screen runner but he'll make his carries, too." Saved his best performances for the last three games; broke Bo Jackson's school record for yards in a season (1,816) on his final carry. "He maximizes all the talent he's got," another scout said. "Runs hard. Gives you everything he's got. Knows how to run." Finished with 516 carries for 2,979 yards (5.8) and 31 TDs, and caught 19 passes. Sixth in Heisman Trophy voting. "He fumbles left and right," a third scout said. "I like his grit, and he's tough as hell. But I don't think he's going to last. They'll beat the hell out of him." His father, Vincent, is a hip-hop artist for the influential early rap group De La Soul. From Palm Beach, Fla. "He's not real elusive," a fourth scout said. "Doesn't break enough tackles." The doctors for two teams said he needs wrist surgery.

5. ANDRE WILLIAMS, Boston College (5-11½, 230, 4.52, 2-3) – Compared by one scout to Shonn Greene. "Really tough kid," one scout said. "If you want somebody to carry the ball 25 times a game between the tackles this is your guy. He's an old-time running back. He would do better without a rotation just wearing people down. Not real elusive, but once he gets out there he just makes plays." Blossomed when BC switched from a zone to power ground game in 2013 and led the nation with 2,177 yards and finished fourth in the Heisman voting. "Lacks twitch, elude," said a second scout. "Strong, tight, downhill, straight-line runner. Needs a lane." Finished with 704 carries for 3,754 yards (5.3) and 28 TDs. Didn't catch a pass as a senior and had merely 10 in career. "Worst hands I've ever seen," said a third scout. "I never even saw them pitch it to him. You would be crazy to pitch it to him. It's so bad, you feel bad for the kid. I saw a game and the pregame was atrocious. He's working on it, but it's, like, 'What have you been doing for four years?'" His inadequacies as a receiver were keenly evident in combine drills. Highest Wonderlic (23) of leading backs. From Allentown, Pa.

6. TERRANCE WEST, Towson (5-9, 225, 4.56, 3) – Was working selling shoes after high school graduation in Baltimore when he hopped on two different buses each day to try out at nearby Towson. "He made it that way," one scout said. "He has a little bit of an edge. He's a real street kid. But the guy has some hunger and football's important to him." Carried 802 times, most by one of the top backs, for 4,849 yards (6.1) and 84 TDs to go with 36 receptions. "Dominated I-AA football," the scout said. "He's not a blazer but he's a 4.5 guy. He's a yoked-up 225. Good feet. Knows how to play. Good hands. For a guy that was the back of I-AA football, pretty good pass pro guy. He's been the king of his level and school." Turned off one scout with what he described as a know-it-all attitude. "Doesn't take coaching," he said. "You might as well not even waste your time." Fourth-year junior.

7. DEVONTA FREEMAN, Florida State (5-8, 205, 4.54, 3) – First 1,000-yard rusher (1,016) for Seminoles since Warrick Dunn in 1996. "He's a tough guy and he does everything," said one scout. "He's just not big. That's the problem. He tries in blitz (pickup), but that will be an issue." Third-year junior with 404 carries for 2,255 yards (5.6) and 30 TDs to go with 47 catches. "Love him," another scout said. "Not high (in the draft) but love him. That (expletive) is a football player." From Miami. "Pretty exciting little player," said a third scout. "Very focused. This kid will never be a problem."

8. CHARLES SIMS, West Virginia (6-0, 214, 4.49, 3-4) – Graduated in May 2013 after a successful career at Houston, his hometown school, and joined the Mountaineers. "He did the same thing in one year at West Virginia he did at Houston," one scout said. "He's got a little more juice than some of these senior backs. He's got the quickness and catches the ball well." Finished with 592 carries for 3,465 yards (5.9) and 40 TDs to go with a whopping 203 receptions for 2,108 yards (10.8) and 11 TDs. "I'm not a fan," another scout said. "I see a guy that isn't very tough and isn't strong. For as big as he is he doesn't break a lot of tackles and doesn't get a lot of yards after contact. He has no run instincts. His vision is bad. I see a guy that will battle for like a practice-squad job."

9. KA'DEEM CAREY, Arizona (5-9½, 208, 4.69, 4) – Third-year junior with tremendous two-year production in coach Rich Rodriguez's spread attack. "He's a power guy," one scout said. "He's got vision. He runs inside pretty well. He's got some off-the-field stuff that you need to check into." Was ejected from a basketball game on campus in January 2013 following an altercation. Wonderlic of 9. "Then he verified his lack of speed at the workout," another scout said. "I just didn't think he had that extra spurt. That offense really helped him a lot." Carried 743 times for school-record 4,239 yards (5.7) and 48 TDs to go with 77 catches. "Doesn't thrill me," a third scout said. "Not a particularly skilled runner. Picks up some yards but takes a lot of hits." Endured a dreadful gauntlet drill trying to catch the ball at the combine. From Tucson, Ariz.

10. STORM JOHNSON, Central Florida (5-11½, 214, 4.58, 4-5) – After one season he decided to transfer from Miami to UCF following an incident on campus and then sat out '11. "Quick, athletic, fast," said one scout. "Good pass catcher. He'll be a starter." Carried 335 times for 1,765 yards (5.3) and 19 TDs to go with 40 receptions. Also fumbled eight times in last two seasons. "He's got to be consistent and stop putting the ball on the ground," another scout said. "A lot of that comes from flagging and trying to shake people. Not a burner but he's got good speed. He's got quick feet and can catch out of the backfield." Fourth-year junior from Loganville, Ga. "He's run of the mill," said a third scout. "He's a big back that runs like a small back and doesn't have really good balance. Dime a dozen."

11. LACHE SEASTRUNK, Baylor (5-9½, 200, 4.45, 4-5) – Five of his 19 TDs were longer than 68 yards. Played better in 2012. "His problem this year was he was dinged up," said one scout. "You're talking about a guy who can fly. He's better than all the (small) backs." Posted the best vertical jump (41½ inches) and broad jump (11-2) of the leading RBs. Fourth-year junior had 289 carries for 2,189 yards (7.6) and 18 TDs but caught just nine passes (none in '13). Wonderlic of 9. "He's dynamic," another scout said. "Rare speed. Not very powerful. His deal is he had no receptions. Nine test, lost in protections. Cannot play in the pass game." Began career at Oregon in 2010 but transferred after being embroiled in recruiting violations. From Temple, Texas.

12. DE'ANTHONY THOMAS, Oregon (5-8½, 174, 4.39, 4-5) – "He's like a subpackage subpackage guy," one scout said. "There's only going to be so much what you can do with the guy." Third-year junior from Los Angeles. "He doesn't play with any strength at all," a second scout said. "He's pure speed and quickness but he gets swept off his feet. If they get an arm on him down low he'll go down. He'll have the same problem in the NFL that all little returners have. Those big linebackers pull him apart and there goes the ball." Rushed 243 times for 1,890 yards (7.8) and 26 TDs to go with 113 receptions for 1,296 (11.5) and 15 TDs. "Name me an Oregon running back that has played in the NFL," a third scout said. "They can't play. They're too small." Wonderlic of 14. Nicknamed "The Black Mamba."

OTHERS: Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern; James White, Wisconsin; Tyler Gaffney, Stanford; Alfred Blue, Louisiana State; Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky; David Fluellen, Toledo; Damien Williams, ex-Oklahoma; Ladarius Perkins, Mississippi State; Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina; George Atkinson, Notre Dame; Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State.

FULLBACKS

1. TREY MILLARD, Oklahoma (6-2½, 247, 4.65, 5-6) – Four-year starter. "He was the best one," said one scout. "Pretty good at everything. Really good special-teams player. Can catch it. Runs with it OK. Above average blocker...not a hammer in there. Just a good football player." Blew out his ACL in Game 8, affecting draft status. Carried 98 times for 538 yards (5.5) and six TDs, and caught 70 passes. "He's not special but he does everything," a second scout said. "He's a tough guy." Wonderlic of 33. From Columbia, Mo.

2. JAY PROSCH, Auburn (6-1, 254, 4.74, 6) – Started at Illinois in 2010-'11 before transferring closer to home (Mobile, Ala.) after his mother developed a fatal brain tumor. "He's got the build of a weightlifter," one scout said. "He's a little more athletic than you'd think. He's got some stiffness. He catches the ball adequately. Great, great kid." Started two more seasons for Auburn, finishing with 14 carries for 47 yards (2.7) and two TDs to go with 11 catches in complete career.

3. J.C. COPELAND, Louisiana State (5-11, 271, 4.97, 6-7) – From LaGrange, Ga., where he prepped as a defensive lineman. Shifted to FB upon arrival in 2010 and started 19 of 48 games. "Not bad hands for a big ol' guy," one scout said. Carried 36 times for 92 yards (2.6) and seven TDs to go with seven receptions. "He's a big load," said another scout. "He runs decently on the goal line."

OTHERS: Ryan Hewitt, Stanford; Kyle Williams, Utah; Ray Agnew, Southern Illinois; Nikita Whitlock, Wake Forest; Kiero Small, Arkansas.

D

Deuce

Really isn't a reason why we can't come out of this draft with a solid backup RB. None are top end talents but a lot of good players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Really isn't a reason why we can't come out of this draft with a solid backup RB. None are top end talents but a lot of good players.
I have a feeling we won't bother. For some strange reason they seem to think Dunbar is good and Randle can actually play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a feeling we won't bother. For some strange reason they seem to think Dunbar is good and Randle can actually play.
I don't really care if we draft a RB at all but I don't want Dallas to force an extension with Murray either. I like Murray and all but I'd almost never give a RB any significant second contract. Especially not one with injury problems.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't really care if we draft a RB at all but I don't want Dallas to force an extension with Murray either. I like Murray and all but I'd almost never give a RB any significant second contract. Especially not one with injury problems.
Unless that RB is Adrian Peterson, you absolutely don't give a second contract. As little as we think of the running game, you can find a back practically any draft and start them the following fall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless that RB is Adrian Peterson, you absolutely don't give a second contract. As little as we think of the running game, you can find a back practically any draft and start them the following fall.
Hell if you don't find one in the draft there are a ton of them floating around in free agency for the cheap as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think they are adequate or even average but it doesn't matter because they aren't used sufficiently. Why change them out if the play calling doesn't put them to use.

D

Deuce

I think they are adequate or even average but it doesn't matter because they aren't used sufficiently. Why change them out if the play calling doesn't put them to use.
If I'm coach and you give me those 2 as backups, I'd probably shy away from running too. I won't run when they're in and I'd probably cut down on my starters carries to prevent his injury.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I'm coach and you give me those 2 as backups, I'd probably shy away from running too. I won't run when they're in and I'd probably cut down on my starters carries to prevent his injury.
They don't run with Murray. I have seen a lot of Randall and he is a pretty decent back.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wrong thread whiff. Mods move my above post.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Randle is a dime a dozen back that we could replace in a second.
I am sure that is true but he not a throw away player just because he is like dozens of others. You kick him to the curb and then chances are you replace him with a duplicate unless you go after an upper tier back. It still l won't necessarily be a good move if you don't utilize a running game.

D

Deuce

I am sure that is true but he not a throw away player just because he is like dozens of others. You kick him to the curb and then chances are you replace him with a duplicate unless you go after an upper tier back. It still l won't necessarily be a good move if you don't utilize a running game.
I'm confident that taking Tre Mason, Andre Johnson, Storm Johnson or Lache Seastrunk in this draft would yield a better impact on this team than Randle could.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm confident that taking Tre Mason, Andre Johnson, Storm Johnson or Lache Seastrunk in this draft would yield a better impact on this team than Randle could.
Without question. Although I don't know who this Andre Johnson cat you are talking about is.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sure, but I doubt they are there in the 6th.

D

Deuce

Without question. Although I don't know who this Andre Johnson cat you are talking about is.
Williams, not Johnson. Though if I could get an Andre Johnson type talent in the mid-rounds I'd bite.

D

Deuce

Sure, but I doubt they are there in the 6th.
RBs have slid further and further in recent years. I'd grab Mason in the 4th if he slides. Otherwise, one of those others will be around later.

Top Bottom