Archer: Witten approaching another milestone

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Witten approaching another milestone
October, 3, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the subject of 10,000 yards was broached to Jason Witten two weeks ago, he joked, “What’s taking so long?”

The Dallas Cowboys tight end entered the season with 9,799 yards, so if just carried through with his career per game average, he should have reached the mark already.,

“I really didn’t think it would be Week 5 when I was reaching that,” Witten said, “but change in plans.”

The change in plans is the Cowboys’ commitment to the run, but it hasn’t lessened Witten’s effectiveness.

With 45 yards Sunday against the Houston Texans Witten would join Tony Gonzalez (15,127) and Shannon Sharpe (10,060) as the only tight ends in NFL history with 10,000 receiving yards.

“That would be special,” Witten said. “I think over the years to be able to achieve something like that is neat. That would be one to look at and say, ‘Man, that’s pretty special.’ To join that group of guys, Tony and Shannon, not only were they two of the best tight ends, but they were two of the best receivers in the game.”

Passing milestones is nothing new for Witten; taking the time to appreciate them is. Last year he became the Cowboys’ all-time leading receiver, passing Michael Irvin. That one felt different than other records he has set.

“I think when I passed Michael, and he called me, that was the first time I thought, ‘Man, that’s pretty cool,’ because of everything he was as a player, I knew that,” Witten said. “To pass him was the first time I ever really sat back and say, ‘Wow, this is pretty neat.’ Other than that, I really haven’t thought much about them. Just trying to help our team win and be the best player I can be. And to get open when I have the opportunity and make blocks when I’m asked to.”

This year he is being asked to make more blocks, so his march to 10,000 yards is a little slower.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I will always appreciate him because as a TE he is an incredibly consistent and very good blocker. Most other TEs that put up big numbers are lukewarm blockers at best. Tony Gonzales didn't learn to block until Dick Vermiel took over the team and demanded it of him. Shannon Sharpe blocked like a WR most of his career, but he improved when Alex Gibbs installed the ZBS we're using now. Witten's been a tough blocker from day 1.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I will always appreciate him because as a TE he is an incredibly consistent and very good blocker. Most other TEs that put up big numbers are lukewarm blockers at best. Tony Gonzales didn't learn to block until Dick Vermiel took over the team and demanded it of him. Shannon Sharpe blocked like a WR most of his career, but he improved when Alex Gibbs installed the ZBS we're using now. Witten's been a tough blocker from day 1.
And even Witten improved his back-side blocking over time. He has always been very coachable

Top Bottom