DeMarco Murray runs off with NFC offensive player of the month

Carp

DCC 4Life
There have been many calls in recent years for the Cowboys to make more of a commitment to the running game, but they have gone largely unheeded until this year.

The Cowboys ran the ball early and often with DeMarco Murray over the first month of the season. It has paid off for the team, which has gone 3-1 to confound some predictions of doom, and it has paid off for Murray.

Murray has run for 534 yards on 99 carries, which leaves him more than 100 yards ahead of the next best rusher in the first four weeks of the season. Murray added 68 receiving yards and scored five touchdowns, all of which was enough to make him the NFC offensive player of the month for September.

With his contract expiring after the season, Murray has found the right time to kick his game up to another level. If he can avoid the injury issues that have cost him time in each of the last two seasons, he could run away with the rushing title on his way to free agency.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Murray has been great, aside from the early fumbles, and I hate to take anything away from him but 90% of NFL running backs would be destroying defenses with the holes the O-line is making. Murray is doing exactly what he should be. Clean up the fumbles and he will have one of the best years in history. Barring injury of course.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Murray has been great, aside from the early fumbles, and I hate to take anything away from him but 90% of NFL running backs would be destroying defenses with the holes the O-line is making. Murray is doing exactly what he should be. Clean up the fumbles and he will have one of the best years in history. Barring injury of course.
That's underselling Murray quite a bit. He's also making the OL better. They're holding their blocks knowing he can break big runs. He's also taking punishment that would wear down other guys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's underselling Murray quite a bit. He's also making the OL better. They're holding their blocks knowing he can break big runs. He's also taking punishment that would wear down other guys.
He is. But eventually there is a good chance he will get nicked up and I feel pretty confident in saying that Joseph Randle and especially Dunbar won't be adequate replacements.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He is. But eventually there is a good chance he will get nicked up and I feel pretty confident in saying that Joseph Randle and especially Dunbar won't be adequate replacements.
They won't be. Romo will have to step up, and I think he's working his way back to doing that.

Murray needs closer to 300 carries, not the 400 he's on pace for. That's 8-9 carries per game that the other backs must pick up.

Randle is averaging 3 carries a game. I could tolerate another 5 from him given the success of the OL.

Dunbar is averaging 3 carries a game, but he's better suited to catch passes. This is a problem, but even still I could see another 2 carries with 1 rush made from a spread formation.

So we've got to ask WTF is Clutts is doing? He's been active every week with zero touches in four games. If they are afraid to throw to him or give him any carries at all and isn't contributing to the success of the running game why aren't they getting another running back?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So we've got to ask WTF is Clutts is doing? He's been active every week with zero touches in four games. If they are afraid to throw to him or give him any carries at all and isn't contributing to the success of the running game why aren't they getting another running back?
Lookit, he got scout player of the week award for the Saints game.

Quit being an ungrateful bastard.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Any ideas as to the last Cowboy player to win this honor and when it occurred? Talk amongst yourselves...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo, Nov 2009
I will change your user title to "Football Historian".

I can go "Football Educator" when you do a little more all-22 work with recaps.

Carl

RIP Brother
Murray has already proven he can't stay healthy regardless of number of carries. I'd run him constantly this year, then if healthy franchise tag him next year, then let him walk.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Murray has already proven he can't stay healthy regardless of number of carries. I'd run him constantly this year, then if healthy franchise tag him next year, then let him walk.
The man is on the cusp of being one of the alltimers for Dallas rushing accomplishments and you are devising a plan to cut him loose?

Newt

DCC 4Life
The man is on the cusp of being one of the alltimers for Dallas rushing accomplishments and you are devising a plan to cut him loose?
Its a fine line to walk, yeah he is becoming a really good back but after this season and if we franchise him next season he will be nearing 29 years old when its time to give him a new contract. He's gonna want big money if he keeps this up, do you really want to give a 29 year old running back a long term big money deal? Its a hard decision, I don't think I would want to give more than a 3 year deal and I don't think he will go for that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I was wondering that same thing about Peterson when all of the rumors were out there about him wanting to come to Dallas. Now the child abuse stuff may take that big money commitment away but I wonder what he would have been offered.

dallen

Senior Tech
Being a running back is a thankless job. The ones that can contribute into a second contract are few and far between.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Being a running back is a thankless job. The ones that can contribute into a second contract are few and far between.
I understand. You have to be realistic about the length of time for a new contract and see if you can sell an incentive deal. If you can get that accomplished that's great but I don't think you plan to get rid of the guy.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm not a big Demarco Murray fan. I think you put a guy like McCoy behind this line and he would be unstoppable. He doesn't make people miss, he's not overly strong, his vision isn't special. He's strong but he doesn't really run people over as much as push the pile. He fumbles.

He does pass block well and is pretty decent out of the backfield.

As for Randle and Dunbar not being adequate, Randle has a higher YPC average than Demarco with 57 yards on 9 carries. Dunbar hasn't done much but I don't think he's had very good opportunities. Ryan Williams is likely the best of the three and I think he'd run wild behind this line.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled from watching Emmitt all these years, but when I see backs from other teams play, they just seem to make something out of nothing more, seem to create more. Murray will get you what is there for the most part. At least he doesn't run to darkness anymore...

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/terrell-davis-critical-of-cowboys-demarco-murray-says-hes-very-consistent-at-being-inconsistent.html/

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
If McCoy had the Dallas line...that is really what we are going with? A Barry vs Emmitt debate should follow shortly I guess.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If McCoy had the Dallas line...that is really what we are going with? A Barry vs Emmitt debate should follow shortly I guess.
Jesus... worst debate ever.

If the most selfish back who didn't give a fuck about getting a first down or winning games was behind the line who blocked for the toughest most competitive back of all time... fuck it, no one cares about anything but highlight films.

Top Bottom