Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2014

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love it, he is a big mauler type guard. Give me a guard like that over Zach Martin in the first any day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Closer Look At Prospects From Dallas Day

Posted 4 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas - Scout’s Eye takes a look at three players from Dallas Day:

Kenneth Acker, SMU, CB
5-11 /190 / 4.51

Lined up at left corner back for the Mustangs. Showed the ability to play both in press man and off coverage. On tape, played with outstanding awareness. Aggressive in his approach and the way he handles himself on the field. Is not afraid to tackle and will really drive to the ball to do so. Respect the way he puts himself in position to do so. Will wrap up in space and get his man on the ground. Smooth in coverage. Reactions and smarts make up for his lack of great foot quickness. Has to be good with his hands in order to keep himself in position on the routes. Really solid technique when it comes to defending routes. Will fight the receiver off the line and down the field as the ball is in the air. Has a nice understanding of how to play the fade and keep himself between the quarterback and receiver. Able to work his man wide and away from the ball. Showed awareness to drive on the hitch. Read the route, then broke on the ball. Fought the block on the screen to disengage and make the tackle. Nice job of using his off hand to knock the ball away without climbing the receivers back. Can open-plant-drive on routes. Plays with nice balance and in control. Would not say that he has outstanding catch up speed. Needs to use technique and positioning to play routes. Mike Evans took him on a deep crossing route and there was separation. Was a 2nd team All-Conference corner back in 2013 and would be a solid consideration as a 3rd day player or priority free agent.

Mike Davis, Texas, WR
6-0 / 189 / 4.48

Is a vertical route runner. Shows initial quickness off the snap. There are snaps where he just runs by people. Was the downfield threat for the Longhorns. Will be some times where they use him on screens. Had a nice tunnel screen for touchdown against Ole Miss. Thought he needed to do a better job of selling the double moves on his routes. Offense is not that dynamic. Route tree is not that large. Had a really nice match up against Jason Verrett of TCU. Each player got the best of the other during the game. Made a really nice adjusting catch along the sideline with Verrett right there. Was able to track the ball and get both feet in bounds. Has had some games where he didn’t track the ball as well. Might have had some issues in this area because the quarterback play was less than solid and he had to wait on some balls and they were not put in manageable spots. Would not call him a polished route runner. Will need some work in this area. Really no sharpness to them. Tends to run to a spot then turn. Like the way he fights for yardage with ball in hands. Catches the ball in his hands. Will go across the middle. Will catch the with defenders on his back. Plays the majority of snaps on the outside but has that initial quickness to see some work in the slot. Has a nice skill set to work with. Was an Honorable Mention All-Big 12 performer in 2013.

Kelvin Palmer, Baylor, OT
6-3 / 302 / 5.02

Will line up on both the left and right sides. Is more of an athlete than he is a player that works with power. Moves well. Light on his feet. Can mirror and adjust with the defender. Can shield block well. Is not the type that is going to get great movement when he blocks one-on-one. Is better when he can get in the way, than drive right now. Scheme doesn’t require him to really hammer his man. Is able to stay in position with movement but will struggle with his sustain. Plays with some initial pop but lacks some upper body power to control. Will work to extend his hands, if he was a tad bit stronger would be a player that could finish. Will play a little high and tall with the straight legs but not always overextended. Have seen him sit down and play with knee flex. Will do his best to keep his head out of his set. Has a feel for how to pass block, but execution will improve. If there was a problem is that he tends to get a little wide when he sets. There were some plays where he did over set and had to quickly adjust back inside but this is where the lack of a power step inside hurts him. Would like to see him get his hands on the rushers a bit quicker. More hand placement than punch. Can mirror his man. Athlete ability makes him a scheme fit as a tackle for the Cowboys. Like Mike Davis from Texas, was an Honorable Mention All-Big 12 performer for the Bears.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Casey Pachall has ‘good day’ throwing at Cowboys’ workout

Posted Thursday, Apr. 17, 2014

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Casey Pachall grew up a Houston Oilers fan, but that didn’t stop the former TCU quarterback from being captivated by Jerry Jones during his introduction to the Dallas Cowboys owner.

“He’s full of energy, full of passion and loves the game,” Pachall said. “That’s obvious by the way he talks. He seems like an awesome guy.”

Pachall was among four quarterbacks at the Cowboys’ annual Dallas Day. The Cowboys invited some 50 local players to work out at Valley Ranch on Thursday.

SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert, Miami defensive back Kacy Rodgers (Southlake Carroll), Missouri quarterback James Franklin (Lake Dallas), Stanford defensive lineman Josh Mauro (Hurst L.D. Bell), Texas receiver Mike Davis (Dallas Skyline) and Texas A&M running back Ben Malena (Cedar Hill) were among notable names invited.

The quarterbacks, including former Angelo State standout Josh Neiswander (Winnsboro), a part of the 2012 draft, threw for Cowboys coaches, including head coach Jason Garrett, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson and play-caller Scott Linehan. They all hoped to leave a good impression on the Cowboys, who signed Brandon Weeden this off-season but likely will add a young quarterback to the mix.

“I feel like it went pretty well,” Pachall said. “I had a good day throwing the ball, and overall, I think it was a good day.”

Pachall went 17-6 as a starter at TCU, completing 62.9 percent of his passes for 5,415 yards and 42 touchdowns. Off-field problems in 2012 and a broken left arm last season limited him to only 11 games the past two seasons.

Still, Pachall is hopeful for a chance in the NFL. He has had one other team visit, which he declined to reveal, and hopes for others before the draft.

“I’m just a little anxious,” Pachall said. “Hopefully a team will give me an opportunity, either by drafting me or as a free agent. There’s nothing set in stone. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I just hope I’ve left a great impression on those guys and anybody else that I’ll be able to meet with, so someone will give me a shot.”

Most of the prospects — who ran the 40 and did position drills — grew up Cowboys fans and left Valley Ranch dreaming of returning in May.

“I was always like a low-key Cowboys fan,” said North Texas defensive end Aaron Bellazin, who played at Everman. “I was like, ‘What’s so good about the Cowboys?’ Really, I always wanted to see them win, but it was always, ‘They can never get over that hump.’ I admit I’ve got Cowboys attire. People are like, ‘You’re a Cowboys fan.’ I’m like, ‘Yeah, I kind of am.’

“It was pretty cool to go up there.”

Other players at the workouts: SMU cornerback Kenneth Acker, TCU safety Elisha Olabode, Missouri safety Matt White (Keller), North Texas linebacker Zach Orr (DeSoto), Nebraska cornerback Ciante Evans (Arlington Seguin), Abilene Christian receiver Taylor Gabriel (Mesquite), Kansas running back James Sims (Irving MacArthur), Baylor OT Kelvin Palmer (Dallas Adamson) and Tarleton State CB Dashaun Phillips (Duncanville)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am not a Pachall fan. He had a decent season his first year but got into trouble the next year and wasn't allowed to play. Last year he was somewhat erratic. It's a shame he got into trouble because it all been downhill.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: More Noteworthy Names From Dallas Day

Posted 19 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas -- Scout’s Eye takes a look at three more players from Dallas Day:

Garrett Gilbert -SMU - Quarterback
6-4 - 221 - 4.84

Gilbert was one of the most sought after high school quarterbacks in the country before signing with the University of
Texas. He would later transfer to SMU to finish his college career. He has ideal height and weight for the position. Plays the majority of his snaps out of the shotgun formation in a spread style of offense. Will take the snap, comfortably drop back, plant

and deliver the ball. Not any wasted motion in the way he sets up. Will slide forward in the pocket and deliver the ball. Would like to see him read quicker and deliver the ball in that fashion. Has a great deal of confidence in his arm. Will make poor decisions
by throwing into coverage. Had a snap in the red zone against Houston where ball was on the ground and made the play worse play with an interception. Arm is more than strong enough to make all the throws. Has the touch to work underneath. Can scramble out
of trouble, to buy a second chance. There is something to work with here and teams are starting to figure that out as they work through this draft.

Ben Malena - Texas A&M - Running Back
5-8 - 193 - 4.57

Plays much faster than his timed speed. Played in a read-option attack. Plenty of inside hand offs. Has some wiggle and
quickness in the hole. Hard guy to get a hold of when he is running with the ball. Throws moves as he is going along. Does a nice job of playing with his eyes. Can see blocks develop and make the cuts. Has outstanding quickness. Can put his foot in the ground
and explode. Can make the jump cut in the hole to redirect. Catches the ball well. Will go in motion, then get the ball on the move up the field. I would not call him a pile mover, but he will bounce off defenders. Will throw his body around as a blocker.
Is more willing to chop than take on defenders high. Not as effective on the blitz pick up. Will stand in there square but his height hurts him here. Able to make cuts in tight areas. Can catch the ball out wide. Nice job of sideline awareness against Alabama
keeping his toes in bounds on a reception. Has the makeup to be a core special teamer as well in the coverage

game.

Josh Mauro - Stanford - Defensive End
6-6 - 280 - 5.17

Played as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme but will line up as a three over the guard as well. Some initial quickness
off the ball. Needs to do a better job of using his hands to shed. Too much hand fighting with the blocker. Used on the twist stunt as a pass rusher. Physical wrap-up tackler when he gets in position. Not many pass rush moves. Not going to win many battles
with his quickness but more on effort and desire to get to ball. Will not be outworked. Good solid tackler in the open field. Plays with some two gap awareness. Doesn’t have a quick redirect. When he gets the corner, he doesn’t have the ability to sharpen
it, gets worked wide. Was late to get off block. Will use the spin move to try and free himself. Can work down the line, find the ball and make the tackle. Will line up at all the positions along the defensive line. Best fit for a 4-3 scheme will most like
be at the one-technique defensive tackle, but he appears to be a better fit as a five technique for a 3-4 club.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't particularly want to go WR in the first 3 rounds but if we go linemen in the first 2 rounds, I couldn't complain about a guy like Richardson in the 3rd at all.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Interested in the player...would love a speed guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interested in the player...would love a speed guy.

Good clip to watch against a decent big corner in Shaq Richardson. Looks a lot like DeSean Jackson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
:towel

Yes, he was one of the main 2nd/3rd round type of DE's that I thought was missing from our list, we just keep bringing in great targets for these visits so hopefully that translates.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Yes, he was one of the main 2nd/3rd round type of DE's that I thought was missing from our list, we just keep bringing in great targets for these visits so hopefully that translates.
The only thing that bugs me about Martin is his spotty production prior to his senior year. On the plus size, his testing numbers are off the charts.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only thing that bugs me about Martin is his spotty production prior to his senior year. On the plus size, his testing numbers are off the charts.
He's a strongside DE in the NFL so I don't expect him to have multiple 10+ sack seasons. He had 22.5 TFL and 8 sacks over his soph/junior seasons, then blew up as a senior, that isn't amazing production but it's not terrible for a guy you don't expect to be that quick-twitch speed rusher off the edge.

D

Deuce

Dare I say...The Marinelli Effect?

:tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's turning water into a good draft.
Or he could do like Old Man Kiffin did and say they aren't quick twitch enough.

And let's be honest. He gave his advice when we signed schlubs like Mincey and McClain because he scouted them when with the Bears.

Sorry, the guy doesn't impress me as some miracle worker.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Or he could do like Old Man Kiffin did and say they aren't quick twitch enough.

And let's be honest. He gave his advice when we signed schlubs like Mincey and McClain because he scouted them when with the Bears.

Sorry, the guy doesn't impress me as some miracle worker.
You'll change your tune when Mincey and McClain are kicking ass and taking names. Go lay some bricks, bricklayer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Apparently we visited with Will Sutton as well, crazy how many DL were bringing in, I think we've only visited with 4 non OL/DL who have any chance whatsoever of going in the first 3 rounds (Shazier, Joyner, Ward, Richardson).

Top Bottom