Tyron

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Martin could be our RT. Just take the best OL you can and plug him in the hole.
As good as Marten and Frederick have been playing next to each other run blocking I'd have a hard time moving him out to OT. Sometimes you just hate to fuck with something that is working so well.

D

Deuce

As good as Marten and Frederick have been playing next to each other run blocking I'd have a hard time moving him out to OT. Sometimes you just hate to fuck with something that is working so well.
Im not saying he has to be moved, just saying if a good RG prospect presents itself than I wouldn't hesitate to grab him and move Martin. If Martin can't hack it at RT, keep looking and move him back inside. It's not like Leary isn't replaceable.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Martin at OG. I'd rather keep Free and let Martin be an All-Pro at RG than force him to OT and replace him with Bernadeau/draft pick.
What if he can also be an All-Pro at RT?

I'd rather him there in that case.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When was the last time there was an all pro RT?
Ok.... what if he could be as dominant at RT as he could be at guard? Or moreso?

Usually there are no All-Pro's at RT because if you are an All Pro you are your team's best tackle and you play on the left side. This could be a luxury where we have two of those caliber players so one of them has to play the right side.

I'd rather that guy at tackle than guard.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Ok.... what if he could be as dominant at RT as he could be at guard? Or moreso?

Usually there are no All-Pro's at RT because if you are an All Pro you are your team's best tackle and you play on the left side. This could be a luxury where we have two of those caliber players so one of them has to play the right side.

I'd rather that guy at tackle than guard.
Most of what I was reading prior to the draft said he was mostly an OG prospect. If he could be the kind of beast who could play at a Pro Bowl level I wouldn't mind the move.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Most of what I was reading prior to the draft said he was mostly an OG prospect. If he could be the kind of beast who could play at a Pro Bowl level I wouldn't mind the move.
I think he would be better than Free at RT but I remember the comparisons to Mankins predraft too so maybe the best course is just leave him at G.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Most of what I was reading prior to the draft said he was mostly an OG prospect.
I don't recall that at all. I think there was talk about versatility, saying he could play either guard or RT, but I don't remember any source casting doubt on him reaching his potential at either spot.

If he could be the kind of beast who could play at a Pro Bowl level I wouldn't mind the move.
I suspect he can. Obviously if he's a stud at guard, or Doug Free level at tackle, I'd keep him at guard as well.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't recall that at all. I think there was talk about versatility, saying he could play either guard or RT, but I don't remember any source casting doubt on him reaching his potential at either spot.
05/06/14 - Dane Brugler's 2014 NFL Draft Final Top-50: 11. Zack Martin OG, Notre Dame (6-4, 308, 5.22, rSR)...Martin manned the left tackle spot the last four years at Notre Dame, but he projects best inside where he could be a future Pro Bowler. Several teams still view him as a tackle, but regardless, he has the base, punch and smarts to start from day one in the NFL. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's saying at either spot he is a Day 1 starter.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
but he projects best inside where he could be a future Pro Bowler
Yes, I saw that the first time you posted it. I didn't say there weren't any sources out there who thought he would be better at guard than tackle.

I said I don't recall a lot of sources saying that he couldn't excel at either position. And when this very source calls him a Day 1 starter at either position, it's hardly a criticism of his ability to translate to a successful RT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not saying he has to be moved, just saying if a good RG prospect presents itself than I wouldn't hesitate to grab him and move Martin. If Martin can't hack it at RT, keep looking and move him back inside. It's not like Leary isn't replaceable.
Kind of depends what type of guard you are getting. Right now Martin and Frederick have a cohesiveness together that looks elite in the running game. If you put an average guard in that spot, do we still have the same elite short yardage game? I don't know if it is worth the risk shifting him out to RT. Not saying I'm entirely opposed to it but I'd be hesitant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like Martin at OG. I'd rather keep Free and let Martin be an All-Pro at RG than force him to OT and replace him with Bernadeau/draft pick.
The way I am leaning as well. Free has done a decent job. If they can afford to keep him, do it. Only a real idiot would mess with the chemistry of this line if they continue to play at this level.

I don't think spending a 2nd-3rd on the OL is the right way to go.

We need to commit as much as we can to the DL after we take a CB in the first round anyways.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
all of the blocks are good on that play

speaking of people you weren't expecting it from, look at Hanna washing his man down
I noticed both Hanna and Witten with key blocks after watching the game again. Hanna has really elevated his game in that regard and now looks like he is becoming a little more physical. He's also why Escobust continues to well, suck. He hasn't developed as a blocker and therefore is almost useless right now.

Like the OL, they seem to be enjoying imposing their will on opponents.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was a mixed bag. Most pundits cited that scouts had issues with his short arms and most teams wanted him inside. Most of the draftnik talking heads were back and forth.

I just find it a little odd that he got more work in camp at center than at tackle. Maybe it was to help him understand the calls better. But if the true plan was to have him at tackle, a smart team would have tried to work him there even a little.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The way I am leaning as well. Free has done a decent job. If they can afford to keep him, do it. Only a real idiot would mess with the chemistry of this line if they continue to play at this level.

I don't think spending a 2nd-3rd on the OL is the right way to go.

We need to commit as much as we can to the DL after we take a CB in the first round anyways.
Exactly. We need to prepare ourselves for Ifo Ekpre-Olomu's name to be called when we're on the clock.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Depending on how the draft falls, we could easily get one of the top guards or RTs in the second.

Free is 30, Leary has exploding knees, and our tackle depth is virtually nil. I wouldn't force it, but if the opportunity is there, I wouldn't hesitate.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Depending on how the draft falls, we could easily get one of the top guards or RTs in the second.

Free is 30, Leary has exploding knees, and our tackle depth is virtually nil. I wouldn't force it, but if the opportunity is there, I wouldn't hesitate.
We need to go DL/LB in the first 4 rounds...also think about a QB. I am not against taking BPA, but you have to measure BPA vs needs sometimes.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
We need to go DL/LB in the first 4 rounds...also think about a QB. I am not against taking BPA, but you have to measure BPA vs needs sometimes.
It depends on who's available. I never like the idea of passing on a superior player for the sake of filling a need because it allows another team to get better at our expense, but it depends on how we rate the player at the need position against the BPA. If they're rated relatively equally, then you can get away with going after the need. But if the drop-off is substantial, then you fuck yourself in value and production.

Top Bottom