MLB Chatter Thread

Tony D

DCC 4Life
It's not the All Star Break already, is it? I could've swore I just got done watching HR Derby.
Don't get too excited. Rays back to their usual low scoring ways today with 1 run in 12 innings vs Cy Young, I mean Vidal Nuno and a tired Yanks bullpen.

D

Deuce

Huh? Kuroda left that game with the lead. I know you don't watch the games, but at least keep up on what's going on with your team.
Uhh, I do watch the games. It was a small jab at your retarded post.

As for today, ya we didn't hit. The Yanks didn't either til we put in a rookie straight out of Durham in the 12. One run on sucky Cesar Ramos is nothing to be proud of.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Uhh, I do watch the games. It was a small jab at your retarded post.

As for today, ya we didn't hit. The Yanks didn't either til we put in a rookie straight out of Durham in the 12. One run on sucky Cesar Ramos is nothing to be proud of.
My initial post was just a good natured jab at you because all I hear from you is how Price owns CC and he usually does. I'll even admit that.

The thing is I know and you know that the Rays are closer to the team that has struggled to score runs this year than the team that roughed up the Yanks the second half of Friday nights game and all of Saturday's. That's a problem long term as much as the injured rotation.

D

Deuce

My initial post was just a good natured jab at you because all I hear from you is how Price owns CC and he usually does. I'll even admit that.

The thing is I know and you know that the Rays are closer to the team that has struggled to score runs this year than the team that roughed up the Yanks the second half of Friday nights game and all of Saturday's. That's a problem long term as much as the injured rotation.
Our hitting will come around. Myers is slowly coming out of his funk and a few other guys are down right now.

Im more concerned with having 3/5ths of our rotation on the DL til June.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Try 4. Its not fun with 2 or 3. With 4 Im still amazed that we have hung around.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Our hitting will come around. Myers is slowly coming out of his funk and a few other guys are down right now.

Myers started to hit this series and Longoria will be Longoria. They obviously won't be as low scoring as they have been. I'll agree with you there. The AL East will be interesting this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN.com

The Milwaukee Brewers, winners of three straight and 13 of their last 16 games, move up one spot and into the No. 1 position in our Power Rankings. The St. Louis Cardinals, meanwhile, climb three spots to No. 2

The Atlanta Braves, who sit atop the National League East, rise four spots to grab the No. 3 position, while the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland Athletics come in at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.

This week's voters were Jim Bowden of ESPN Insider, Tim Kurkjian of ESPN The Magazine, David Schoenfield of the SweetSpot Blog Network/ESPN.com and Jayson Stark of ESPN.com. Most of the team comments come courtesy of the bloggers on the SweetSpot Blog Network. How do you rank all 30 teams? Go ahead and rank them yourself.

Tell us what you think about the Power Rankings. Use the hashtag #ESPNMLBPOWER.

2014 Power Rankings: April 21
RANKTEAM / RECORDTRENDINGCOMMENTS
Brewers
14-5
Last Week: 2
After back-to-back ninth-inning comebacks in Pittsburgh, the Brewers are 7-1 in games decided by two or fewer runs. Ryan Braun: six home runs in the state of Pennsylvania, zero elsewhere. -- Curt Hogg (@CyrtHogg), Disciples of Uecker
Cardinals
11-8
Last Week: 5
The Cardinals won a series against the division-leading Brewers, but managed only a split against the Nationals due in part to shabby fielding. The Cardinals' offense, ranked 12th in NL with .302 wOBA, has yet to fully blossom. -- Matt Philip (@fungoes), Fungoes
Braves
12-6
Last Week: 7
The ERA of every Braves starting pitcher is under 3.00; four of them have an ERA under 2.00. Aaron Harang (0.70 ERA) and Ervin Santana (0.86 ERA) are first and second in the National League in ERA. No Braves' starting pitcher has given up more than three earned runs in any start. If momentum is only as good as the next day's starter, then the Braves have cornered the market. -- Martin Gandy (@gondeee),Gondeee
Dodgers
12-7
Last Week: 1
The Dodgers are now 7-1 against the Diamondbacks and 5-6 versus the rest of the league. A flu-stricken Josh Beckett pitched five scoreless innings Sunday to lower his ERA to 2.57. Clayton Kershaw had a successful simulated game Sunday and will likely go out on a minor league rehab assignment next. --Diane Firstman (@dianagram), Value Over Replacement Grit
Athletics
13-5
Last Week: 8
The A's have the best run differential in baseball, as they're clicking on all cylinders. Fun fact: The lowest slugging percentage ever posted by a player hitting for a .400 OBP in a season (min. 300 PA) is .317 by Miller Huggins in 1913. Nick Punto is currently hitting .276/.400/.276. -- Jason Wojciechowski (@jlwoj),Beaneball
Tigers
9-6
Last Week: 3
In case you're wondering, Miguel Cabrera has just one home run and is batting .220 with a .292 on-base percentage through 15 games. -- ESPN.com
Giants
11-8
Last Week: 9
The Giants' inability to score (only 12 runs in six games) during a 3-3 week against the Dodgers and Padres has raised huge question marks around the offense. Hunter Pence (.181 BA), Buster Posey (.238 BA), and Pablo Sandoval (.171 BA) will need to step up their production in the heart of the order if the Giants are to keep pace with the hot-hitting Dodgers. -- Andrew Tweedy (@WCBGiants), West Coast Bias
Rangers
11-8
Last Week: 16
The Rangers were able to win seven of 10 on a homestand and will head out on the road to Oakland and Seattle tied for the third-best record in the American League. Adrian Beltre should return Friday, which figures to significantly boost the offense. --Brandon Land (@one_strike_away), One Strike Away
Yankees
11-8
Last Week: 12
The Yankees began last week by sweeping a rainout-induced doubleheader against the Cubs, as Masahiro Tanaka and Michael Pineda led the way in two shutouts. Then they managed a four-game split in Tampa despite a rough middle two games in which they were outscored 27-6. While Ivan Nova's UCL tear put a damper on the 4-2 week, the Yanks did get Mark Teixeira back. -- Matt Bove, (@IIATMS), It's About the Money
Nationals
11-8
Last Week: 6
Since coming back as a starter thanks to Ryan Zimmerman's injury, Danny Espinosa has put up a .310/.355/.552 line. After hitting .158/.193/.272 in the majors and .216/.280/.286 in Triple-A last year this is the welcome surprise the Nats need to keep themselves on the Braves' heels. -- Harper Gordek (@harpergordek), Nationals Baseball
Royals
9-8
Last Week: 20
Yordano Ventura struggled Sunday as the Royals ended a five-game winning streak. Considering Billy Butler is slugging .230, Mike Moustakas is hitting .125 and the team has hit six home runs in 17 games, a 9-8 record isn't bad. -- David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield), SweetSpot
Rays
9-10
Last Week: 4
The Rays earned a split against the Yankees despite two of the four games started by replacement starting pitchers. They scored just three runs in the book-end games, but the much-maligned offense exploded for 27 runs in the middle two games. Monday's off day will allow them to reset the patchwork rotation that needs to hold the fort at least another month. --Tommy Rancel (@TRancel), The Process Report
Pirates
8-11
Last Week: 10
Ryan Braun victimized Jason Grilli in the ninth twice over the weekend with a game-winning home run on Saturday and game-tying home run on Sunday. After losing just four games all last season they led heading into the ninth, the Pirates now have two in 2014. --David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield), SweetSpot
Orioles
8-9
--

Last Week: 14
Home runs and defense kept the Orioles afloat and in the race last season. Although early, being 29th in home runs and in the bottom third in range has led them to last place in the AL East. -- Jon Shepherd (@CamdenDepot), Camden Depot
Blue Jays
10-9
Last Week: 19
The Blue Jays have issued the third-most walks (75) in the majors, punctuated by a 12-walk nightmare in Minnesota on Thursday. At least Jose Reyes is back from the DL. -- Callum Hughson, Mop-Up Duty
Rockies
10-10
Last Week: 17
The Rockies have juggled injuries while tiptoeing around a .500 record. It's possibly an illusion since they have only played one winning team this year. For their next trick, they take their act (most runs scored/third most runs allowed in the NL) against the Dodgers with a Giants encore. -- Richard Bergstrom (@rockieszingers), Rockies Zingers
Red Sox
9-10
Last Week: 13
While the offense has been trying to warm up from an icy start, Jon Lester has been in the zone. The southpaw has pitched to the tune of a 2.17 ERA, with an Uehara-like 29/4 K/BB in 29 innings. Speaking of Koji, he, Junichi Tazawa and Chris Capuano -- yes, that Chris Capuano -- have combined to hurl 24 2/3 scoreless innings. The arms are electric, but the bats need to power up. -- Brett Cowett (@BACowett), Fire Brand of the AL
Angels
8-10
--

Last Week: 18
Despite owning only the 22nd-best OBP in the majors and 26th-best batting average with runners in scoring position, the Angels have still scored the second most runs in baseball, primarily due to an MLB-best 29 homers. If they can get a few more guys on base in front of their thumpers and get some positive regression with RISP, this could be a devastating offense. -- Andrew Karcher, Halos Daily
Reds
8-10
Last Week: 24
The Reds have won five of their last seven games, thanks in large part to the hottest hitter in the big leagues, catcher Devin Mesoraco. In nine games since returning from the DL, Mesoraco is hitting .515/.553/.970 with six doubles, three homers and 11 RBIs. -- Chad Dotson (@dotsonc), Redleg Nation
Padres
9-10
Last Week: 26
Taking two of three from the Giants was nice, but the offense continues to struggle. Time for Jedd Gyorko (.145 BA), Chase Headley (.190 BA) and Will Venable (.246 OBP) to start hitting so Bud Black can stop batting Xavier Nady cleanup. -- David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield), SweetSpot
Mets
9-9
Last Week: 22
While Curtis Granderson hit the game-winning sacrifice fly in the 14th inning to win Sunday's game for the Mets, he's been far from an impact player. He has 20 strikeouts and is batting .127 in his first 63 at-bats this season. -- ESPN.com
Indians
8-10
Last Week: 15
The Indians split a rain-shortened series against the Tigers and returned home only to find that the offense had apparently stayed behind in Detroit. David Murphy's three-run double in Sunday's game helped the Tribe avoid a sweep by the visiting Blue Jays and further helped to exorcise the ghosts of his abysmal 2013 season. -- Susan Petrone, It's Pronounced "Lajaway"
Mariners
7-11
Last Week: 11
Ahh, the optimism of that 3-0 start against the Angels seems so long ago. The Mariners lost Friday on a Giancarlo Stanton grand slam in the ninth, got shut out on two hits Saturday and blew a 2-1 lead in the eighth Sunday. They have lost eight of nine, Robinson Cano has one home run, most of the rotation is injured, and the bullpen has been bad. When does Seahawks season start? -- David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield), SweetSpot
Phillies
8-10
Last Week: 25
The Phillies hung on for a win on Sunday (barley) and Cole Hamels is coming back this week, but there's not much good news otherwise. Considering how much trouble his offense and bullpen have given him so far, it might not be a bad idea for Ryne Sandberg to start checking his ceiling for anvils. -- Michael Baumann,Crashburn Alley
White Sox
9-10
Last Week: 21
It's amazing how a 16-2 Sunday victory can put a nice bow on a troubling week. The White Sox lost two series, sent a starter to the DL and had Adam Eaton leave two games early with hamstring troubles. They're still the best offense in the AL (5.58 runs/game), even if Alexei Ramirez's MVP-level production and Tyler Flowers' .606 BABIP aren't going to stay for long. -- James Fegan (@TheCatbird_Seat),The Catbird Seat
Marlins
9-10
Last Week: 23
The Marlins lost two of three to the Nationals before sweeping the road-weary Mariners. Henderson Alvarez hurled a two-hit, 90-pitch complete game shutout Saturday, reversing his early-season funk. Five regulars are now hitting at least .300, and the team's .273 average is second in the majors. -- Diane Firstman (@dianagram), Value Over Replacement Grit
Twins
9-9
--

Last Week: 27
The top half of the Twins' lineup is clicking, as leadoff man Brian Dozier leads the majors in runs scored while cleanup slugger Chris Colabello is pacing the AL with 20 RBIs. -- Nick Nelson, Twins Daily
Diamondbacks
5-16
Last Week: 30
The Diamondbacks are now in free fall, getting swept by the Mets before edging out the Dodgers for just a single win in extra innings in a weekend series. While the bullpen and offense have started to show signs of life, the starters' ERA remains far and away the worst in the majors at 7.50. -- Ryan P. Morrison (@InsidetheZona), Inside the 'Zona
Cubs
5-12
--

Last Week: 29
In his four starts this season, Jeff Samardzija has given up just four earned runs but has received just seven runs of support total in those games. The result is an ERA of 1.29 and an 0-2 record. -- Joe Aiello (@VFTB), View from the Bleachers
Astros
5-14
Last Week: 28
The Astros scored 14 runs total in an 0-6 week. George Springer got called up and had at least one hit in each of his first five games. Meanwhile, first-base prospect Jonathan Singleton entered Sunday at .343 with seven homers, 23 RBIs and a 1.205 OPS. The bullpen has been horrendous, yielding a .283/.369/.438 line with a 5.34 ERA. -- Diane Firstman

Carp

DCC 4Life
ED...forget everything I said about Valverde...demoted and I don't see him long for the team...so it's Farnsworth now. Watch for Gonzalez German down the road to get some save ops.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I thought he'd be a good closer...needed one for years.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The Astros beat up on Felix Hernandez? They scored seven runs and won the ballgame? I don't know why I'm phrasing everything as a question?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Mets’ lineup if Omar Minaya’s plan worked out
January 7, 2014
By Julian McCarthy

Pretty much every Mets fan will agree that Omar Minaya failed as the Mets’ GM in trying to make the squad into a perennial winning team. Some of the problems weren’t his fault; regardless, he failed as General Manager. Minaya had many plans internally with prospects which were supposed to work out but most of them didn’t. Now let’s take a look at what the 2014 lineup might look like if all of Minaya’s plans worked (*Quick Disclaimer* The Mets were never affected by the Bernie Madoff scam).

Leadoff & Shortstop: Jose Reyes

If the Mets had been continually successful through 2011, Reyes probably would have been a favorite to receive a contract extension or perhaps a big contract. Even with the injuries the Mets would have found a reason to keep him- even if he still won the batting title in 2011. He would still be swiping 30 bags and hitting .290 while being half of the legendary left side of the infield.

Two-Hole & Left Fielder: Lastings Milledge

When Milledge was drafted in 2003, there was an enormous amount of hype around him until he displayed an equal amount of attitude. However, this is what Minaya wanted. Even though he didn’t draft Milledge, he would have been a fixture in the Mets’ lineup and would have been producing at a ridiculous level. He also probably would have been under a crazy contract. After all, that is Minaya’s trademark.

3rd Hitter & 3rd Baseman: David Wright

Not much surprise here as he would still be the face of the franchise hitting tons of doubles with great leadership to keep the team balanced. He also would be under another enormous contract especially with the next guy hitting behind him.

Cleanup & 1st Baseman: Ike Davis

If Davis actually came back healthy from his 2011 freak-injury, only the baseball gods would know what he could have done. This man might have been a one-man wrecking crew and ended up with Joey Votto-type numbers. It certainly wouldn’t have surprised me to see him become a 40-55 homer threat. The Mets have almost given up on him- and rightfully so- but then he shows flashes like this. Wow, the thought of that type of bomb every night…

5th Hole & Right Fielder: Fernando Martinez

Every Met fan cringes at the thought of Martinez as he is projected to be a Golden Glove candidate 30+ homer power. He completely busted and never did much as a major leaguer. He could have provided 1/3 of the deadliest 3-4-5 punch in the game and in Minaya’s wonderland he would have. The crazy part about him is that 2014 would be his age 25 season.

6th Hole and 2nd Baseman: Wilmer Flores

Wilmer Flores is the only player on this list that still has a pretty strong future with the Mets besides Wright. There could be much speculation on to whether or not Flores would have actually played 2nd, but he would have had to move over for his terrible defense and the appearance of Reyes. He could have, and can still, be a 20 homer threat with 100 RBI every season.

Batting 7th and Center Fielder: Carlos Gomez

The weird thing about Gomez is that he is the only player that was once a top prospect on the Mets to have success elsewhere in America. Gomez has turned into a 25 homer threat, but that wouldn’t have happened if he were playing in Citi Field. He would have still hustled and played great defense with some pop providing another piece of depth in this lineup.

Batting 8th and Catching: Josh Thole

I know, I know – he isn’t very good. While this may be the case, he would be the only logical option internally. Obviously, the Mets could have gone international, traded, drafted one or signed a better catcher. People may call him a bust, but he did play great saber-metric defense and could have hit .290 with a ton of doubles. But, there are better options.

Minaya wasn’t the best GM the Mets ever had and made some crazy decisions, but most of them were because of the busts we had internally. Obviously, there are still players that could have contended for some spots, such as; Lucas Duda, Ruben Tejada, Juan Lagares, Jefry Marte, or Kirk Nieuwenhuis, but these were the best options. As one can see by this lineup, it would bring in many runs and possibly a championship.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
ED...forget everything I said about Valverde...demoted and I don't see him long for the team...so it's Farnsworth now. Watch for Gonzalez German down the road to get some save ops.
Yeah, I was worried about Valverde. He's just not very good. I thought about picking up Farnsworth but decided I have enough closers on my roster for the time being. I'll definitely keep an eye on German because Farnsworth has been in and out of closer roles in the past as well, so he's no sure thing to hang onto the role either.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Poo Hole hit HR #500. That's 8 so far this year. Could be a big bounce back year if he stays healthy, though I think his days of hitting for a high average are over.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Good for him...no one would turn down that money he got. He is an alltimer.

Top Bottom