Sabin: Why Cowboys are willing to invest resources in quarterbacks, just not draft...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think you know the cases where it did work, and where qb's were flipped for picks, so I won't bother looking them up. What I'm saying is GM's should be drafting qb's every year. I don't even care if you wait til the 7th round to draft them. Just draft at least one. It's better than looking for special teams help late in the draft.
Your take sounds wise. I'm not trying to be antagonistic to you personally, but the evidence doesn't support what you're saying.

Here are the starting QB's taken after the 3rd round or UDFA.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Titans
Tom Brady, NE
Tony Romo, Dallas

They do not get the chance to develop. Nick Foles, Mike Glennon, and Russell Wilson were 3rd rounders, and they made it only because their starters got hurt or played for shit. After that you fall off a cliff.

So drafting QB only makes sense in the top 3 rounds.

One case study to watch will be Ryan Mallet. He was highly touted prospect to fell big time to the 5th round. Will New England re-sign him next year or did they "develop him for someone else"?

Seattle and New England huh...pretty good teams.
Brady in the 6th was a million to one and predated the current CBA. Wilson was Seattle's 3rd rounder and has a 4 year contract.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I am not a take a QB every year guy, but to only take 2 in 14 years seems odd to me.
I agree.

With our first few picks I hope the focus is DL/OL/S. After that I'd be fine taking a stab at a QB with a mid round pick.

If we're willing to throw away picks on small school DBs every year I don't see the harm in targeting a QB every few years or so.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Brady in the 6th was a million to one and predated the current CBA. Wilson was Seattle's 3rd rounder and has a 4 year contract.
The thing about the million to one shots is that you actually have to give yourself a chance. We don't. GSM

Smitty

DCC 4Life
One case study to watch will be Ryan Mallet. He was highly touted prospect to fell big time to the 5th round. Will New England re-sign him next year or did they "develop him for someone else"?
Actually no, Mallet was a third rounder.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The thing about the million to one shots is that you actually have to give yourself a chance. We don't. GSM
That's basically what it comes down to. You'll never win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

But you can be damn sure we've got plenty of picks to burn on TEs, CB, and LBs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Mallet may have been "developed for someone else" but he also will be the Pats top backup and has been for a few years on a cheap bottom-of-the-third rookie contract.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't managed to flip him this year, if I were the Texans I'd be very interested.

We could take a guy like Zach Mettenberger in the fourth, not sure he'll be there, but it's possible considering his off the field issues and ACL surgery. By 2015 we would at least expect him to replace Orton and at a much lower salary. By 2016 he might be taking over for Romo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All in all, I think it is patently stupid if we don't take a QB this year.

But hey, too many in the meeting room; we got Weeden; blah blah blah. Get ready for it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All in all, I think it is patently stupid if we don't take a QB this year.

But hey, too many in the meeting room; we got Weeden; blah blah blah. Get ready for it.
The organization did in fact load up the QB slots long before the draft and I wonder if the message is there will be no QB in the draft mix this year. That's the way I read it but I don't agree with it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The organization did in fact load up the QB slots long before the draft and I wonder if the message is there will be no QB in the draft mix this year. That's the way I read it but I don't agree with it.
I would have dumped Orton's contract after signing Weeden. The fact they haven't tells me they are a little more wary of Romo's back than they lead on, all the more reason to draft a young guy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would have dumped Orton's contract after signing Weeden. The fact they haven't tells me they are a little more wary of Romo's back than they lead on, all the more reason to draft a young guy.
Could be but by the time they find out about Romo' s back the draft will be over. The option they have if the go for a QB in the draft will almost have to be a top pick candidate. If the go for a project and Romo goes down then they are at the mercy of Orton or Weeden with a project.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could be but by the time they find out about Romo' s back the draft will be over. The option they have if the go for a QB in the draft will almost have to be a top pick candidate. If the go for a project and Romo goes down then they are at the mercy of Orton or Weeden with a project.
Actually no. They could take a player like Murray in the middle rounds. All in all, it will come to the idea that oh no, we got too many on the roster, they would never make the 53, blah blah blah. To me, this is the one dud firecracker that could explode during the season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Actually no. They could take a player like Murray in the middle rounds. All in all, it will come to the idea that oh no, we got too many on the roster, they would never make the 53, blah blah blah. To me, this is the one dud firecracker that could explode during the season.
Maybe so but is a QB candidate like Murray who you want to replace Romo?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think Jerry plans to take a QB with a high first round pick after Romo falls apart and leaves us with a high first rounder. Not before.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Jerry plans to take a QB with a high first round pick after Romo falls apart and leaves us with a high first rounder. Not before.
Probably. But that's not smart. He waited until Aikman up and retired, then he panicked with Tony Banks and also Quinthy. I would hope he learned from that, but probably not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's what it looks like to me also. The condition of Romo will have to be answered before another QB is picked up.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Probably. But that's not smart. He waited until Aikman up and retired, then he panicked with Tony Banks and also Quinthy. I would hope he learned from that, but probably not.
I agree it's not the thing to do but it looks like it's shaping up that way.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Good lord, Tony Banks...

One minute they are doing stories about him replacing Aikman, and the next thing he's in the airport wondering WTF happened.

"Grand opening, grand closing"
-Chris Rock

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is there isn't a QB worth a high first every year in the draft. That's part of the reason you see such a high bust rate on first round QBs. Teams feel like they have to take one in the first when they have this giant need at the position and they end up taking a guy who isn't worth the pick. If an Andrew Luck is there, perfect, but how many times will you be instead looking at Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez. I'd rather take a QB I like when the occasion arises, instead of being forced to pick through trash to find one in a panic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The problem is there isn't a QB worth a high first every year in the draft. That's part of the reason you see such a high bust rate on first round QBs. Teams feel like they have to take one in the first when they have this giant need at the position and they end up taking a guy who isn't worth the pick. If an Andrew Luck is there, perfect, but how many times will you be instead looking at Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez. I'd rather take a QB I like when the occasion arises, instead of being forced to pick through trash to find one in a panic.
~nail on the head smiley face~

Top Bottom