Machota: Jerry Jones says DeMarco Murray brings something Cowboys ‘can’t do without’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Aside from the fumbles, Jerry Jones says DeMarco Murray brings something Cowboys ‘can’t do without’
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
9:32 am on September 23, 2014 | Permalink

Should DeMarco Murray have been benched Sunday after fumbling in the first quarter?

Murray, the NFL’s leading rusher with 385 yards, wasn’t benched by Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett after fumbling in his fourth consecutive game, dating back to last season. Following the turnover, Murray carried 22 times the rest of the day for 97 yards.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tuesday that he wasn’t surprised Murray wasn’t benched.

“The reason being, he fumbled early in the San Francisco game and then didn’t fumble again, and ran hard,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Then he turned around and fumbled relatively early against Tennessee. We’ve seen him fumble and then play extended periods of time, and I mean play physical. He’s such a physical runner. He makes so many yards after the initial hit. He just makes them with his strength, just his force, that you know he’s putting some pressure on himself to hold that ball.

“Then he also uses his arms to balance. In order to do that, you got to have them out away from you a little bit. He recognizes that more than any of us, and will work on it and hopefully eliminate those early fumbles. But boy, what he’s bringing to the table, apart from the fumbles, we can’t do without.”

Before this season, Murray had lost three fumbles in 37 career games.

“Very disappointing,” Murray said Sunday. “I got to get it fixed and I will get it fixed.”

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Aside from the fumbles, Jerry Jones says DeMarco Murray brings something Cowboys ‘can’t do without’
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
9:32 am on September 23, 2014 | Permalink

Should DeMarco Murray have been benched Sunday after fumbling in the first quarter?

Murray, the NFL’s leading rusher with 385 yards, wasn’t benched by Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett after fumbling in his fourth consecutive game, dating back to last season. Following the turnover, Murray carried 22 times the rest of the day for 97 yards.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tuesday that he wasn’t surprised Murray wasn’t benched.

“The reason being, he fumbled early in the San Francisco game and then didn’t fumble again, and ran hard,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Then he turned around and fumbled relatively early against Tennessee. We’ve seen him fumble and then play extended periods of time, and I mean play physical. He’s such a physical runner. He makes so many yards after the initial hit. He just makes them with his strength, just his force, that you know he’s putting some pressure on himself to hold that ball.

“Then he also uses his arms to balance. In order to do that, you got to have them out away from you a little bit. He recognizes that more than any of us, and will work on it and hopefully eliminate those early fumbles. But boy, what he’s bringing to the table, apart from the fumbles, we can’t do without.”

Before this season, Murray had lost three fumbles in 37 career games.

“Very disappointing,” Murray said Sunday. “I got to get it fixed and I will get it fixed.”
Wait for it...$50mm, six year extension

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I want to keep him.

Not only is a he a good player but I love his attitude. He along with Dez have fire in them and we need more of that.

If the guy stops fumbling, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him 5-6 mill a year. 5 years 30 million would be just right.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
As far as it goes, Jerry is exactly right. We can't give up on the running game because of a fumble and our other backs suck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As far as it goes, Jerry is exactly right. We can't give up on the running game because of a fumble and our other backs suck.
That is the worst part about this. If we had someone more effective than Randle or even a guy who can play, which Dunbar can't, he gets less valuable. Right now, he's our MVP and it is not because he is an upper echelon RB. He's good. Very good. But he's yet to play a full season and it is just a matter of time before he gets nicked up somehow. Sorry, can't bring myself to pay that guy when we have Bryant to worry about. If we weren't mortgaged out the ass thanks to Romo, I would be all for it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That is the worst part about this. If we had someone more effective than Randle or even a guy who can play, which Dunbar can't, he gets less valuable. Right now, he's our MVP and it is not because he is an upper echelon RB. He's good. Very good. But he's yet to play a full season and it is just a matter of time before he gets nicked up somehow. Sorry, can't bring myself to pay that guy when we have Bryant to worry about. If we weren't mortgaged out the ass thanks to Romo, I would be all for it.
I don't see what choice we have, though.

It's not like we can let him go and rely solely on Romo.

midswat

... soon
If I were GM, Id never give a RB a second contract.

If I had one that showed a flash, say rookie signed to a four year rookie deal making relatively low base salaries (most likely scenario, as you don't really take RB's top of the draft anymore), then after his rookie year, I'd up his salary in exchange for an additional year or two on the deal.

Then replace them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've been saying franchise the guy since the offseason if he has a big year and I think that's still the best option. If he's willing to sign a relatively short, relatively cheap deal like 4 years, 24 million, I'd be fine with that too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not sure I understand the logic in underplaying the RBs importance. It's the running game that is having the greatest positive impact on this team's offense. I understand keeping contracts sensible but right now it appears that Murray is a keeper. As to injuries, Sean Lee plays about 65% of the time and gets a hell of a paycheck. That's more of a bad decision than offering Murray a decent contract. Not a stupid contract but a decent one. He has added some value to his position. I think the trends in the league will swing back to the running game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We could draft a 2nd round RB instead of a TE or LB who doesn't pan out.
That would be nice and all, but we are taking a chance that whomever it is would be a serious downgrade. And we'd be targeting a position, which is a bad way to draft.

Murray is an impact player for us and, within reason, those are the guys you keep.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Marion Barber type of thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We could draft a 2nd round RB instead of a TE or LB who doesn't pan out.
I'd be ok with a LBer in the second round. We legitimately need a WLBer in the worst way. Carter and Durrant have both proven to be horrific at it this year. I don't like the issue of pushing for a RB in the second unless a special guy falls from the first. And not a novelty back like Felix but instead a legit full time RB.

superpunk

Banned
there is no reason to give him an extension

you can find one cut downhill runners for a zone blocking scheme anywhere

let him hit the market and try to re-sign him

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
there is no reason to give him an extension

you can find one cut downhill runners for a zone blocking scheme anywhere

let him hit the market and try to re-sign him
The market will snap him up in a minute if Dallas didn't keep him.

superpunk

Banned
then let them

that so rarely works out. RBs are so dependent on being in the right system with a solid offensive line. don't get carried away with his hot start like he's some sort of must-have. we spent three first round picks on OL and finally started running the ball. that's why we're having success - Murray isn't some world beater. he runs with power and average speed and good vision. that can be found again

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
then let them

that so rarely works out. RBs are so dependent on being in the right system with a solid offensive line. don't get carried away with his hot start like he's some sort of must-have. we spent three first round picks on OL and finally started running the ball. that's why we're having success - Murray isn't some world beater. he runs with power and average speed and good vision. that can be found again
Gonna have to sign someone. Why not him. He is a proven commodity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
then let them

He actually has great speed. It's very sneaky. It doesn't look like he is running that fast but it's why he has such great success turning the corner on the outside.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He actually has great speed. It's very sneaky. It doesn't look like he is running that fast but it's why he has such great success turning the corner on the outside.
Yes he does. I have watched him his entire career at OU and was exceptional. He is a floating runner.

Top Bottom