Archer: Rapid Reaction - Dallas Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rapid Reaction: Dallas Cowboys

September, 14, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A few thoughts on the
Dallas Cowboys' 26-10 win against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday at LP Field.

What it means: The Cowboys didn’t just need a win; they absolutely had to have a win. They had lost six straight games, dating back to last year’s season finale (preseason included) and would have been in free-fall mode with a loss to the Titans.

Instead, they corrected their course from their season-opening loss to the San Francisco 49ers -- perhaps temporarily -- with a game that featured a strong running game (220 yards on 43 carries), opportunistic defense (two takeaways) and terrific special-teams play. It is a simple formula to follow, but not something the Cowboys have been able to do consistently the last four years.

The win gives the Cowboys their fourth straight 1-1 start. Does this portend another 8-8 start?

Stock watch: Passing game coordinator Scott Linehan came to the Cowboys with a reputation as a pass-first playcaller after his run with the Detroit Lions. Through two games, Linehan has reverted back to his days in Minnesota when he directed a top-10 running game in the early 2000s. So good was the Dallas running game that the Cowboys were able to fill the final 6:22 without Tony Romo having to throw the ball, allowing their fans in attendance to start a “Let’s go Cowboys chant” that echoed throughout LP Field.

The money down: In the opener, the Cowboys’ defense had no answers on third down against the 49ers. The Niners converted on 7 of 12 tries and they were mostly uncontested. The Cowboys made a huge improvement Sunday, allowing just two third-down conversions on 10 tries. The Titans failed to convert a third down on six first-half tries. Tennessee’s first third-down conversion was a 61-yard touchdown pass from Jake Locker to Delanie Walker on the second drive of the third quarter, but the Cowboys were able to shut the door and effectively ended the game with a third-down pass breakup by Brandon Carr in the end zone (after a replay review) and a fourth-down stop with 6:22 to play.

Game ball:DeMarco Murray fumbled in the first quarter for the second straight game, but he was able to get past his mistake with his second straight 100-yard game. He finished with 167 yards on 29 carries and scored the Cowboys’ first touchdown. He had 115 yards on 17 carries in the first half as the Cowboys' offensive line took the wind out of the Titans. This is the third time Murray has gone for more than 100 yards in consecutive games in his career and the first since Weeks 14 and 15 last year against the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers. The Cowboys lost both of those games, but were able to get the win Sunday.

What’s next: The Cowboys travel to St. Louis to take on the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome. The last time the Cowboys visited there, they were embarrassed 34-14 on Oct. 19, 2008, when Romo was missing because of a broken pinkie finger.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Minus a couple of plays in the 49ers game, I've really been surprised by how well they've been in coverage.

There's not a bunch of busted coverage and receivers aren't running free all over the field as much as I expected.

The pass rush is still lacking but it's been okay at times.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
This is Tony Romo's role now. Vastly overpaid bus driver. This is a RB's offense now.

JBond

Brand New Member
This is Tony Romo's role now. Vastly overpaid bus driver. This is a RB's offense now.
Tony was misused for years. A modified west coast offense with a strong commitment to the running game would have done wonders for him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im jaded by too many years of Garrett/Romo pass happiness to accept this as a trend that I can trust quite yet. Cautiously optimistic.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Im jaded by too many years of Garrett/Romo pass happiness to accept this as a trend that I can trust quite yet. Cautiously optimistic.
I think the game plan you saw yesterday will be in place all year as long as there are productive RBs. This is why I think it is important to bring up Williams to share duties in the RB workload.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think its a byproduct of a Romo back issue.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think the game plan you saw yesterday will be in place all year as long as there are productive RBs. This is why I think it is important to bring up Williams to share duties in the RB workload.
If you do bring him up, who do you lose to do so and why?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I don't want Murray having many 29 carry games. I just don't think it is productive to beat your RB up that much. It's why I was glad to see Dunbar getting the carries late. I would have preferred them go to Randle but Randle was hurt prior in the game.

I'd cut our FB today to make room for Williams. I can't think of a more useless player on our roster.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And with a name like Klutts, ya gotta wonder.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you do bring him up, who do you lose to do so and why?
I would sit Dunbar. He isn't effective in the middle and Randle is. Most of the running game will be between tackles and Dunbar is simply to lightweight to handle it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would sit Dunbar. He isn't effective in the middle and Randle is. Most of the running game will be between tackles and Dunbar is simply to lightweight to handle it.
I mean you have to take someone off the active roster. Who would you release?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Minus a couple of plays in the 49ers game, I've really been surprised by how well they've been in coverage.

There's not a bunch of busted coverage and receivers aren't running free all over the field as much as I expected.

The pass rush is still lacking but it's been okay at times.
Those busted coverages against Vernon Davis were beyond embarrassing. After the Dallas offense failed to capitalize for a touchdown, not only did those two plays cement a loss for us, they also emphatically reinforced the idea that the Cowboys defense was a bunch of tissue paper with holes in it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Randle's seeming effectiveness was purely the result of fresh legs. Dunbar can catch the ball and provides a necessary change of pace. You need all three of them, frankly, and at this pace I think Dallas could definitely use another back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tony was misused for years. A modified west coast offense with a strong commitment to the running game would have done wonders for him.
Yep. I expect his back and stamina to improve though from week to week so we may still get the strong October and November passing performances from him we've come to expect. If everyone is healthy, the Cowboys' run-first approach will pay off in December.

I watched Seattle's defense get punished by Lacey and Starks wondering why in the fuck the Packers wouldn't keep trying that. They got in their own way almost as badly as the Broncos did in the Superbowl.

A powerful running game will always have a place in the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He has been active both games. Has anyone even noticed him on the field?
He has been on the field a couple of times, but has done nothing from what I have seen.

Top Bottom