George: Cowboys have serious interest in Chicago Bears free agent DT Henry Melton

Carp

DCC 4Life
There were several times last season when this crapfest of a DL stepped up and made plays with an energy and coordination we haven't been used to seeing.

That's on Marinelli.

But the defense was bad over the long haul, and that's on Jerry.

So I think we're all interested to see what Marinelli can do with better talent and with the defense overall.
Jerry certainly is the biggest part of the problem, but you can't just credit everything good to Marinelli and everything bad to Jerry.

Although apparently Marinelli invented football, so I see the issue.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would be afraid of Jerry overpaying for Melton since other teams are hot after him, but he doesn't have the cap space to be able to overpay much. So, there is a bright side.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would be afraid of Jerry overpaying for Melton since other teams are hot after him, but he doesn't have the cap space to be able to overpay much. So, there is a bright side.
Yes, but look at who has been after Melton. Seattle? They could go win a Super Bowl again right now with their DL depth. Minnesota? Signed Linval Joseph to go with Sharif Floyd. He would be a role player both places.

In Dallas, he's the belle of the ball and the franchise savior.

At this stage, just sign the guy. Quit screwing around. Cut Parnell and use his money if you have to.

We are at that level of desperation. We simply cannot go into this draft thinking Aaron Donald or bust.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes, but look at who has been after Melton. Seattle? They could go win a Super Bowl again right now with their DL depth. Minnesota? Signed Linval Joseph to go with Sharif Floyd. He would be a role player both places.

In Dallas, he's the belle of the ball and the franchise savior.
Well, yeah. You should be used to this by now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have no idea how much Melton is asking for but at this point I'd have to imagine something around 5 million a year over several years would get it done. The first year cap hit could easily be structured to only be around 4 million, so yea, we need to stop screwing around and just sign him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have no idea how much Melton is asking for but at this point I'd have to imagine something around 5 million a year over several years would get it done. The first year cap hit could easily be structured to only be around 4 million, so yea, we need to stop screwing around and just sign him.
Either that or just not bother signing any other DL. I fail to see the logic in signing crap like Alex Carrington, Pat Sims or Vance Walker to plug holes. All three would require probably as much guaranteed money as Melton would and we would have nothing but bodies.

I hate to say it is all Melton or nothing. But it literally is at this stage. Shit or get off the pot, quit the idiotic game that you are serious about not being worse on the DL than we were even last year at the peak of bringing in a jobber a week.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Either that or just not bother signing any other DL. I fail to see the logic in signing crap like Alex Carrington, Pat Sims or Vance Walker to plug holes. All three would require probably as much guaranteed money as Melton would and we would have nothing but bodies.

I hate to say it is all Melton or nothing. But it literally is at this stage. Shit or get off the pot, quit the idiotic game that you are serious about not being worse on the DL than we were even last year at the peak of bringing in a jobber a week.
I think Sims or Walker could start for us and be better than what we had last year but generally I agree with what you're saying. I doubt Melton is asking for something crazy so we might as well just shit or get off the pot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He also was in Chicago working his magic with guys like Jarron Gilbert.

If you recall, he was the dude who JUMPEDED OUT OF TEH POOL.

Yeah, that guy.

His line in Chicago was so good, the Bears had to pay out the ass to get Peppers to actually make it decent.
Right.

He's a good DL coach. Not a miracle worker. He found a decent rotation player in Selvie off the scrap heap. He still needs talent to make a quality DL. We currently have almost none.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Sims or Walker could start for us and be better than what we had last year but generally I agree with what you're saying. I doubt Melton is asking for something crazy so we might as well just shit or get off the pot.
By the time you sign two or three of those schlubs now, you could pay for Melton. There is no point other than to say that "we tried and the market was too rich".

The guy is not going to go visit two clubs already set at the DT starters if he thinks he is in for serious coin. Either that or his agent is an idiot, which Woy is not. He's played the Cowboys more than once.

That situation only exists in Dallas. He just set it up nicely.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Right.

He's a good DL coach. Not a miracle worker. He found a decent rotation player in Selvie off the scrap heap. He still needs talent to make a quality DL. We currently have almost none.
I am amazed that Marinelli suddenly went up three levels of genius in the span of one offseason. Now, he's the oracle of all things defensive line. I kind of wish now that we let the guy go to Tampa with Lovie like he wanted to. At least we wouldn't be deluding ourselves that he can take shit and make it work.

Cotton

Staff member
According to Fisher, Melton wasn't close to a deal with Seattle...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Melton wants to land in Dallas and I also think he will give Jones an opportunity to match the best offer he gets.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys Working On Monday Visits For Melton, Weeden
Posted 9 minutes ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys are expected to play host to a pair of high-profile free agents this week at Valley Ranch, and are hoping to see them both as early as Monday.

Defensive tackle Henry Melton, who is considered one of the last big-name defensive tackles available, is scheduled to visit the Cowboys, who are also planning to meet with quarterback Brandon Weeden, who was recently cut by the Browns.

Melton was in Seattle last week and has other visits lined up after Dallas, which is his hometown. A native of nearby Grapevine, Melton played running back and then defensive tackle at Texas. Melton became a standout tackle in Chicago, where he played under Rod Marinelli, the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

Although he’s coming off an ACL injury that limited his 2013 campaign to just three games, Melton is expected to be fully rehabbed and ready for return by the start of training camp. At 27, Melton would seemingly be a good fit to replace recently-departed Jason Hatcher, who signed with the Redskins last Thursday. Melton plays the three-technique in the 4-3 scheme and earned his first Pro Bowl selection in 2012 when he had six sacks for the Bears.

Earlier this week, the Cowboys made headlines for cutting defensive end DeMarcus Ware, but did add a pair of solid defensive linemen in veteran Jeremy Mincey and tackle Terrell McClain. Mincey can play outside at defensive end but slide inside to the three-technique. McClain is more of a one-technique who played nose tackle last year in Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme in Houston.

The Cowboys were reportedly interested in acquiring veteran Julius Peppers, who also played under Marinelli in Chicago. But the 12-year veteran signed a three-year deal with Green Bay over the weekend.

As for Weeden, the former first-round draft pick (22nd overall) in 2012, started 20 games in Cleveland, but just five last year before being benched.

He turns 31 in October after playing five seasons of professional baseball before going to Oklahoma State and spending four years in Stillwater. Weeden was on the team during Dez Bryant’s final two seasons at OSU, but didn’t become the starter until 2010.

Last year with the Browns, Weeden was sidelined by a thumb injury and eventually lost his starting job to Brian Hoyer. When Hoyer was lost for the season with an ACL injury, Weeden returned to the starting role but was eventually benched in favor of Jason Campbell.

The Cowboys are still expecting Kyle Orton to return as the backup to Tony Romo. Weeden might be an insurance plan if Orton decides to retire -- something the Cowboys viewed as a possibility last month.

Earlier this offseason, the Cowboys tried to sign veteran backup Mike Kafka, who decided to sign with Tampa Bay.

More than anything, the Cowboys need available arms as Romo will be limited in the OTAs and mini-camps as he recovers from back surgery.

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
Finally will get Weeden and Dez back together.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Zack Robinson will be Weeden's back up in that scenario. Joseph Randle in the house...might as well trade Tyron for Okung too.

PS
Gilbert at 16.

Top Bottom