A Game-By-Game Guide To How The Cowboys Miss the Playoffs Again

p1_

DCC 4Life

The Dallas Cowboys will obviously again miss the playoffs and more than likely finish 8-8 in doing so. But how? Read this and save yourself a few hours every week.

Week 1: 49ers — WIN
More of a 49ers loss than a Cowboys win, but whatever. You know who doesn’t see it that way? Jerry Jones and every Cowboys fan, all of whom get way, way too excited about the season’s prospects. “Super Bowl” is mentioned with a straight face. Prevailing sentiment in town: OH MY GOD, ARE THEY REALLY GOING TO DO THIS THING?

Week 2: At Titans — LOSS
Nope.

Week 3: At Rams — WIN
Wait, hold on — maybe?

Week 4: Saints — LOSS
NOPE.

Week 5: Texans — LOSS
Oh, come on. Seriously? With the Cowboys sporting a probably-even-worse-than-it-looks 2-3 record, first lengthy column about Jason Garrett’s potential firing appears. Jerry swears he’s behind Garrett, but his statement is elliptical and confusing, and completely undercut by something he says later in the same interview.

Week 6: At Seahawks — LOSS
This is actually surprisingly close and a pretty understandable loss, given it’s against the defending Super Bowl champs — even though they haven’t looked that great — and it’s at a notoriously difficult place to play. Call it a moral victory. Walt Garrison appears on Intentional Grounding to talk about something.

Week 7: Giants — WIN
Again, more of a Giants loss than a Cowboys win, but at this point, no one even remotely cares. The win is slightly overshadowed by a minor controversy involving Dez Bryant.

Week 8: Redskins — WIN
4-4 — what up, son? First legit win of the season. Most of the questions Jason Garrett answers following the game are about the playoffs, because people are insane.

Week 9: Cardinals — LOSS
Dammit.

Week 10: At Jaguars — WIN
One of those games where the Cowboys are clearly better but only barely win by kicking a field goal in the fourth quarter and withstanding a just absolutely jeans-kicking interception by Tony Romo, which should result in a loss but somehow doesn’t.

Week 11: BYE
Call it a phantom loss, since they have to deal with the PR headache of Josh Brent all week.

Week 12: At Giants — WIN
Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod — they’re over .500! Road win! Divisional road win! This is happening. Ohmygod.

Week 13: Eagles — LOSS
Chumps.

Week 14: At Bears — LOSS
I mean, what did you expect?

Week 15: At Eagles — LOSS
Seriously. You do it to yourselves.

Week 16: Colts — WIN
But, I mean, who cares, because all Jerry talks about after the game is Johnny Manziel, who has just rattled off another in a series of ugly wins that really don’t say anything about his future as a pro QB. To be fair to Jerry, this is mostly because Tony Romo is hobbling around like he successfully caught a bolt of lightning with his back, and then, during the excruciating and pretty hollow celebration, tripped and fell down a million stairs and landed on the horn of a unicorn covered in hepatitis.

Week 17: At Redskins — WIN
A win early in the day keeps the Cowboys’ playoff hopes alive until later that afternoon, when they are officially knocked out. Jerry talks about how they are close to breaking through, “so obviously and, again, let me be clear on this and with respect to Jason’s situation, and as I’ve said vis a vis what I meant, we have the talent and now we just need the right parameters, as you know.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Heres my take:

Week 1: 49ers — WIN
I can see the Cowboys pulling off a win simply because of the distractions on SF's side. Its more of a function of a home game for Dallas, and a shitstorm of missing players and offseason miscues for SF than Dallas being legitimate.

Week 2: At Titans — LOSS
A horrible road performance equals a 10 point loss.

Week 3: At Rams — WIN
A bounce-back game against a Bradford-less Rams team has Jerry handing out free bottles of snake oil.

Week 4: Saints — LOSS

A big asswhooping, and the media starts talking about Garrett.

Week 5: Texans — LOSS
Jerry is no where to be found this week with the Cowboys sitting at 2-3.

Week 6: At Seahawks — LOSS
This game isn't even close. The SB Champs show why their team, and their organization is the team that will contend for the foreseeable future.
Jerry has the PT Barnum Wagon out in full force with Sam dressed in Cowboys garb pitching the next greatest headache powder.

Week 7: Giants — WIN
The Giants are probably the only other NFC team in as much disarray as the Cowboys. Jerry grabs the mike and tells everyone Garrett is not going anywhere.

Week 8: Redskins — LOSS
Jerry is seen punching Goof Grandson in his suite.

Week 9: Cardinals — LOSS
Radio and TV light up about Garretts pending departure.

Somehow, Romo saves the day on a last minute drive, throwing a pass to Bryant in the corner of the endzone with 22 seconds remaining. Jerry is interviewed afterwards proclaiming he likes where the team is, relative to Brent coming back and a week 14 return of Anthony Spencer.

Week 11: BYE
At 4-6, Jerry is defending Garrett, but yet expecting a strong finish to the season. Stephen weighs in and says maybe the Cowboys didn't do enough in the offseason to shore up the defense. Jerry goes on ESPN 2 days later and says this is probably one of the best defenses he's been part of.

Week 12: At Giants — LOSS
Eli looks over at Garrett with that retarded look as Victor Cruz runs by an injured Claiborne for the game winning TD.

Week 13: Eagles — LOSS
Oh, shit...Jerry looks like he's lost his best friend. Flashbacks of last year when Romo throws a pick 6 with 4 minutes left in the game.

Week 14: At Bears — LOSS
Cutler has all day to throw, and throws for a season high against a shitty Cowboys D. Jerry is left speechless after the 37-7 rout.

Week 15: At Eagles — WIN
Romo does it again with last second heroics....Jerry knocks players out of the way to tell ESPN sideline reporters that the Cowboys have a shot at the East..

Week 16: Colts — LOSS
Andrew Luck feasts on the Cowboys shitty secondary. Romo makes it interesting at the end, but the better QB prevails.

Week 17: At Redskins — LOSS
RGIII runs for 175 yards against the Cowboys DL, but yet can only manage to win by 3. Jerry ignores reporters and says he needs to look at The Man in the Mirror, and promises changes will be coming.

FINAL RECORD: 5-11

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Somehow, Romo saves the day on a last minute drive, throwing a pass to Bryant in the corner of the endzone with 22 seconds remaining. Jerry is interviewed afterwards proclaiming he likes where the team is, relative to Brent coming back and a week 14 return of Anthony Spencer.
:lol

Son of a bitch......I can totally see them winning that game in this fashion, and Jerry Jones uttering those exact words.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Too much play about the Cowboys beating the 49ers this weekend.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They are overrated and will not make the playoffs.
They'll make the playoffs, but they won't be as good as they were the last 3 years.

10-6 with a wild card exit is what I think, maybe a divisional exit if they get everyone back healthy and productive before the regular season ends.

p1_

DCC 4Life
They'll make the playoffs, but they won't be as good as they were the last 3 years.

10-6 with a wild card exit is what I think, maybe a divisional exit if they get everyone back healthy and productive before the regular season ends.
Seattle looks like the team they were in January. The clear conference favorites.

Top Bottom