The Gun Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I still haven't fired it yet actually. I'm 100% a beginner. Watched a ton of youtube videos, so I have an idea of what to do to safely load, fire, and unload, but I have never even really done it. I have fired one my cousin had, one of the ARs, but that was probably back in 2006 or 2007.

My wife was very supportive when I said I wanted to get a gun; she has actually been shooting way more than I have. She was like, "Yeah, that sounds good, I've shot handguns, I've shot a .357 magnum before (she has the case from the round on her keychain), I've even shot rifles before." Turns out that was a bolt action rifle she's fired.

Cause when I showed her the AR I wanted, she was like "Oh.... uh.... that's like a military gun." I was like.... actually no it's not, it's not any different than the bolt action hunting rifle you fired in terms of deadliness, really. The bullets are actually probably smaller. The main difference is that it's semi automatic instead of bolt action, but that just makes it easier for you to fire, you're not constantly cranking a bolt. Also, most hunting rifles these days are semi automatic, and no bolt action. It looks scary like a military rifle for marketing and for customization, so they can sell non-dangerous accessories that attach to the rail like grips, slings, flashlights and scopes.

But she was saying "I thought when you said a gun it would be something less scary and something I could handle, like a handgun." I had a heck of a time convincing her that handguns were less effective for home defense, she was less able to control one due to worse recoil, and that handguns are also much more dangerous to have around with a child due to their ease in handling, it makes a child more able to misuse it, if for any reason it fell into their hands.

She signed off but she is uncharacteristically nervous about it, when she was actually pretty gung-ho about the idea when she thought I was gonna get a handgun.

Anyway, long story short, CSB, I basically have to take it out and tinker with it when she's not around, so far. I have to get her comfortable with it, but I haven't really been able to take it out to go shooting yet. My cousin (whose AR I fired in 2006) is coming down for Thanksgiving and he and I will probably go out and he'll basically teach me what I need to know.
Reminds me of another CSB. I was down at a neighbor's house down the road one Saturday watching the Tech game. Towards the end of the game (of course we were getting beat) we decided to shoot some skeet. A couple of the other guys he had invited were out there with us. Turns out they were from up north and had never shot a gun in their life. It was kinda weird to me since down here by the time you can walk (slight exaggeration) you have bare minimum shot a .22 rifle. So, to have to go through all of the gun safety stuff like I was showing my son how to shoot was a little surreal. By the way, one of them was a natural and actually beat me. Of course, the neighbor was running the skeet launcher, so he was making it more difficult for me since I had more experience, but this guy was a natural with the shotgun in his hands. The other guy only shot once and decided he was done. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
"Freedom Riffle"

:lol I love it.

I have to say the prices seem way cheaper than I thought they would be. May be worth picking one up for myself.
Doooooo it.

I again recommend my S&W M&P15 Sport II for the same price though.

Of course I say that "I recommend it" based on my research and Unk's purchase of one. I admit I haven't even fired it yet as I said before. Just based on what I've read the S&W at that price is like a best buy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doooooo it.

Of course I say that "I recommend it" based on my research and Unk's purchase of one. I admit I haven't even fired it yet as I said before. Just based on what I've read the S&W at that price is like a best buy.
Honestly I always thought you had to pay like $1,200.00 for an AR.

So for what you paid it seems like a steal to me. But clearly I don't know that much about AR's. At $400 and something that's not all that big of a purchase to me.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Also, most hunting rifles these days are semi automatic, and no bolt action.
Actually, the vast majority of rifles that you'd use to hunt deer or larger game are bolt action. Yes, you can get an AR-10 chambered in 7.62/.308, but them MFers are HEAVY. And aren't really suited for hunting things like deer, elk, bear, etc... You wouldn't (or shouldn't) use an AR-15 chambered in 5.56/.223 to hunt larger game. They are a great varmint gun for things like coyotes, though.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who are hunting larger game like I mentioned above are using a bolt action .30-06, .270, .308, 7mm, .243 etc...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not true. Actually, the vast majority of rifles that you'd use to hunt deer or larger game are bolt action. Yes, you can get an AR-10 chambered in 7.62/.308, but them MFers are HEAVY. And aren't really suited for hunting things like deer, elk, bear, etc... You wouldn't (or shouldn't) use an AR-15 chambered in 5.56/.223 to hunt larger game. They are a great varmint gun for things like coyotes, though.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who are hunting larger game like I mentioned above are using a bolt action .30-06, .270, .308, 7mm, .243 etc...
Yep, last pig I shot was with a bolt action .308. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever gone hunting with a semi-automatic.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I shoudn't have said "most." I guess my point is that a semi-automatic rifle can be a hunting rifle these days. It's not like it's a military-weapon because it's semi automatic.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yep, last pig I shot was with a bolt action .308. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever gone hunting with a semi-automatic.
My Remington 7mm mag weighs roughly 7 lbs. My brother has an AR-10 .308 that he used a couple years ago while deer hunting. With scope and full magazine, that monster weighed in a hair under 12 lbs. After lugging that beast around all deer season, he said fuck that and bought a Winchester .308 Basically the same gun except for being a wood stock, bolt action rifle. And weighed in at around 7 lbs.

4-5 lbs doesn't sound like a big difference, but try carrying it around all day then raise it up to your shoulder and hold it still for an accurate shot. Good luck with that. :lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I shoudn't have said "most." I guess my point is that a semi-automatic rifle can be a hunting rifle these days. It's not like it's a military-weapon because it's semi automatic.
This I agree with. I hunt coyotes with my AR-15 a lot. I also use a bolt action .22-250 but I only use that when sitting still and calling them in. Such a nice firing rifle. Fast and flat shooting over long distances.

I use the AR when on the move. Coyotes are fast as hell, and the extra ammo helps when you miss a few times and have to gauge where the dust is flying around it to dial in your shot while it's hauling ass across the prairie. :unsure

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Doooooo it.

Wait until PSA offers a free S&W 9mm with any AR purchase. To get in, you sign up for their daily deal. My last AR came with a free M&P pistol in .40 cal. While I agree the SW AR is better as far as holding its value, I do like getting a 2 for one at PSA.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
800 bucks. Hell yeah, sign me up.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't really know anything about guns. I do live in the country and really need to have something to exterminate some coyotes and generally blow things up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Thanks. That's seems much more affordable than I expected.
I got that model rifle but without the sights, shipped, for $469. Then had to pay a $25 transfer fee to the dealer they shipped it to. So like $500. Can link if you want. You can also get the version with the sights for like $20 more.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I got that model rifle but without the sights, shipped, for $469. Then had to pay a $25 transfer fee to the dealer they shipped it to. So like $500. Can link if you want. You can also get the version with the sights for like $20 more.
Heck yes!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Heck yes!
This is the exact one I got. Mine did not have iron sights or an A-frame sight at the front. This is probably more for people who want to do more customization, it comes stripped down (and thus cheaper).

https://gunprime.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-optics-ready-556-nato-16-30rd-black/

Here's the "standard configuation" of that rifle, though. Note the A-frame sight on the barrel. Will also have flip up sights at the back to line up with the A-frame.

https://gunprime.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-2-ar-15-556-nato-16-30rd-black/

Here's another A-frame version with a cooler handguard, allowing for M-lok standard attachments:

https://gunprime.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-with-magpul-moe-m-lok-10305/

I'd do some research. Youtube is a great resource, actually. Actually, here is the website that kicked me off on my learning. Very good, very thorough base. This is the resource that got me interested in the rifle I ended up getting:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15/

^ You see there it lists best rifles across all price points very early in the article and mentions the Smith and Wesson MP 15 Sport 2. Also the Aero Precision, I've heard Ruger 556 is good, but those maybe you can't find for as good of deals. Those are mid-tier rifles along with the Smith and Wesson MP 15 Sport 2, but you can get the S&W for bottom tier prices right now.

A lot of that website gets very in depth, but it's great as a starting point, really. If you need to save time, make sure you check out the bottom where he names the manufacturers by tier, and then gives "Specific recommendations" by price point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Here's a playlist I've compiled of saved AR-related videos.... mostly SW MP15 Sport 2 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_IqQoAmrtFCmWXMi6Sm1WyohNfnw09Nu

Just scroll through them. Some are reviews. Some are regarding modifications, you probably don't need to watch those yet. But the reviews are helpful. The one guy, Hickok45, he's awesome.

In fact, I'd watch these three Hickock45 videos about the MP Sport (the older model), and then the two about the newer model (the one I've recommended for you), the MP 15 Sport 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-e3ugkgy8&t=69s&list=PL_IqQoAmrtFCmWXMi6Sm1WyohNfnw09Nu&index= <-- older model, but the best review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNj3uHJV5io&list=PL_IqQoAmrtFCmWXMi6Sm1WyohNfnw09Nu&index=10 <--- newer model review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBkppprV9w&t= <--- newer model, follow up video

Reviews by other people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZriIbjF6Q&t=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_9h9itflA&t=17s

Top Bottom