The Gun Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, so I was gonna put a Leapers UTG 15" Drop In Carbine Length Super Slim handguard on it, for $103. The "carbine length" drop in still attached at the delta ring and the gas block, at carbine length, but only the bottom part. So only the bottom part was 7". The top part was 15" long, and didn't attach to the rifle at all, it screwed into the 7" bottom part, which was "dropped in." The 15" top part then had a hole where the gas block and A-Frame sights could protrude.

Then, another 7" bottom piece that ran to the end of the barrel screwed into the 15" top piece, giving the appearance of one continuous handguard, when in reality it was 3 pieces, only one of which "dropped in" with the delta ring.

However, I realized that while this Drop In handguard was advertised to work with the Smith and Wesson MP 15 Sport 2, it was only working with the A-Frame sight version. I got the Optics Ready (OR) version, which had a bigger gas block. The "hole" in the rail was not big enough for the gas block, so I'd have to buy, and have a gun smith put on, a low profile gas block if I wanted that to work.

When I went to my local gunsmith to inquire about a low profile gas block, he told me about a Guntec USA free floating handguard they had instead. It was $110. So for like $7 more dollars, since I had to pay to buy and have them install a low profile gas block anyway, they could just also install the free float handguard.

So I went with that instead.

I'll upload a pic in a min.
Careful kid, you'll put your eye out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like I may buy a second rifle before the next election, if I can find the money. Yeah, they are so cheap, why not?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Since then I put some Tacticon Iron Sights ($27 on Amazon) on it. Deciding what other accessories I need. I'd like a holo sight or red dot sight but those are expensive as balls.

Also... ammo is also way too expensive. 40 cents or more per round for 5.56 or .223 at some places. I got 120 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 FMJ at Academy Sports and it was like 43 cents a round, in six 20-round boxes.

Then I went to Walmart and they had it cheaper. I got another 120 rounds (in one box) of the same 5.56 for like 36 cents a round, and then I also got 100 rounds of Federal .223 ammo for 33 cents a round. Still, for all that, I've paid almost $150.

I could shoot all that in like a day or two.

Damn.... needs to be like 10-15 cents a round.
Ammoseek.com

UncleMilti

Staff member
I feel like I may buy a second rifle before the next election, if I can find the money. Yeah, they are so cheap, why not?
Look at Palmetto State Armory. The had a Black Friday sale a couple weeks ago on ARs at 399.00

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ammoseek.com
Thanks. How about affordable optics recommendations?

There are red dot or holo sights for cheap, but I’m not sure of their quality. But I don’t want to spend $200 either.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like I’d like to get a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense, something real nice, if I get another.

But of course those are $1500 or $2k.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Looks like a 45 with a long barrel and a shoulder stock.
It just has a pistol grip on it. That's the only reason it looks that way.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I feel like I’d like to get a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense, something real nice, if I get another.

But of course those are $1500 or $2k.

I've got a 2900.00 Daniel Defense. Take it for what its worth, my Palmetto State is as accurate and was 1/4 the price.

The DD is nice, but theres no secret to the AR platform. Almost everyone making these now are right there at military spec, and the barrels are so close in performance that theres not a huge difference in them overall.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Thanks. How about affordable optics recommendations?

There are red dot or holo sights for cheap, but I’m not sure of their quality. But I don’t want to spend $200 either.
Vortex will be your best bet IMO.

I got a Lucid on sale at Optics Planet, and its pretty damn nice for the money. It was 385.00, marked down to 299.00 then I had a coupon for 14% off that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've got a 2900.00 Daniel Defense. Take it for what its worth, my Palmetto State is as accurate and was 1/4 the price.

The DD is nice, but theres no secret to the AR platform. Almost everyone making these now are right there at military spec, and the barrels are so close in performance that theres not a huge difference in them overall.
Gotcha.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Holy crap! They are cheap as hell these days.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-freedom-rifle.html

May place an order.
I got the Optics Ready Smith and Wesson for the same price. The S&W seems to be regarded as the better weapon. Try this link:

https://gunprime.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-optics-ready-556-nato-16-30rd-black/

$20 shipping. Arrived in just a couple days.

Search the website, they have the A-Frame version for not much more.
Bipo and Schmitty armed... :unsure

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I still haven't fired it yet actually. I'm 100% a beginner. Watched a ton of youtube videos, so I have an idea of what to do to safely load, fire, and unload, but I have never even really done it. I have fired one my cousin had, one of the ARs, but that was probably back in 2006 or 2007.

My wife was very supportive when I said I wanted to get a gun; she has actually been shooting way more than I have. She was like, "Yeah, that sounds good, I've shot handguns, I've shot a .357 magnum before (she has the case from the round on her keychain), I've even shot rifles before." Turns out that was a bolt action rifle she's fired.

Cause when I showed her the AR I wanted, she was like "Oh.... uh.... that's like a military gun." I was like.... actually no it's not, it's not any different than the bolt action hunting rifle you fired in terms of deadliness, really. The bullets are actually probably smaller. The main difference is that it's semi automatic instead of bolt action, but that just makes it easier for you to fire, you're not constantly cranking a bolt. Also, most hunting rifles these days are semi automatic, and no bolt action. It looks scary like a military rifle for marketing and for customization, so they can sell non-dangerous accessories that attach to the rail like grips, slings, flashlights and scopes.

But she was saying "I thought when you said a gun it would be something less scary and something I could handle, like a handgun." I had a heck of a time convincing her that handguns were less effective for home defense, she was less able to control one due to worse recoil, and that handguns are also much more dangerous to have around with a child due to their ease in handling, it makes a child more able to misuse it, if for any reason it fell into their hands.

She signed off but she is uncharacteristically nervous about it, when she was actually pretty gung-ho about the idea when she thought I was gonna get a handgun.

Anyway, long story short, CSB, I basically have to take it out and tinker with it when she's not around, so far. I have to get her comfortable with it, but I haven't really been able to take it out to go shooting yet. My cousin (whose AR I fired in 2006) is coming down for Thanksgiving and he and I will probably go out and he'll basically teach me what I need to know.

Top Bottom