The Gun Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But the spreads on bird shot at even 10 yards are pretty big. Of course you lose some killing power at that point.
And this right here tells me you really don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you think hunters are shooting birds at 10 yards and in, I don't know what to tell you. Other than, stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this right here tells me you really don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you think hunters are shooting birds at 10 yards and in, I don't know what to tell you. Other than, stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
:lol

Fuck off, you're not this dumb at you? We are talking about shooting inside a home with bird shot. You do know what bird shot is right? Some days you love to be ignorant just to be ignorant and pick a fight. I'm well aware you're doing that right now. Especially with this dumb ass comment.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Fuck off, you're not this dumb at you? We are talking about shooting inside a home with bird shot. You do know what bird shot is right? Some days you love to be ignorant just to be ignorant and pick a fight. I'm well aware you're doing that right now. Especially with this dumb ass comment.
Find me ANYBODY here that agrees with what you are claiming, and thinks that what I'm saying is wrong. If they have any kind of credible argument for you, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

I'll wait.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find me ANYBODY here that agrees with what you are claiming, and thinks that what I'm saying is wrong. If they have any kind of credible argument for you, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

I'll wait.
That there is significant spread on a 12 gauge shotgun from 10 yards? You know you can just look that shit up? With bird shot you've got a good 12 inch spread already at 10 yards. Do you really not shoot shotguns ever? I just assumed you did...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Danielle Dean

Affiliation: Abduction Awareness Initiative
Position: Founder and president, certified self-defense instructor
Home Defense Gun: Glock 42, .45 Glock, 12-gauge shotgun, .38 revolver
Well, that is a loaded question, and a lot of variables play into the answer. Currently, my top favorites are the Glock 42 and a shotgun. However, I do have a .38 and a Glock .45 ACP for home defense as well. So, we will start with the weapons and then move on to the possible scenarios.

In the event of a home invasion, handguns are easy to draw, generally lightweight and make it easier to move around from room to room without any trouble.

The Glock 42 in .380 ACP is lightweight, easy to manipulate and will probably stop the threat, providing the user can shoot in the general direction of the bad guy. Know your weapon and your ammo. Otherwise, this is a versatile little gun, I use it as my concealed-carry gun, too.

The .45 is a great gun, but for a woman, it can be a little heavy and cumbersome. That being said, my .45-caliber Glock has never jammed to date and would be intimidating to an intruder.

My snub-nose revolver in .38 Special is easy to handle. It’s a little clunkier than the .380 but never jams. I have fired all different types of rounds through it, and it works beautifully. My children can effectively fire the .38 Special without hesitation. The damage from the handguns is relatively the same if the ammunition type and grains are similar. Hollow points, high-grain ammunition or subsonic ammo will all drastically change the results downrange.

Now comes the 12-gauge shotgun. If the scenario that presents itself allows for time, I would use the shotgun, hands down. The shotgun, if used within its effective range, will do massive damage, and the homeowner does not have to be very accurate with buckshot. A shotgun is also very intimidating, and even if the homeowner is experiencing high anxiety and shaking, the chances that he or she will stop the threat are high.

So, the short answer: Any of these weapons can cause catastrophic damage. You can stop an intruder with a .22 just as effectively as you can a shotgun or large-caliber handgun. What you use is not nearly as impactful as how you use it. Shot placement under duress, knowing what’s beyond your target (bullets pass through many surfaces, including bodies), shooting in dark/low-light areas and using cover effectively all affect the answer. You must know your weapon, know your rounds, know your limitations and know your abilities.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you don't know what you're talking about, you really should refrain from commenting.

First... Assault rifle. :picard There is nothing more "assault' to an AR-15 than a mini-14 ranch rifle. They are both semi-automatic rifles. Nothing more.

Second, unless a shotgun is cut way down (which is illegal) the pattern isn't nearly as big as you are letting on here. A shotgun blast at close quarters, which is what we're talking about in home invasion, wouldn't have much more than a couple inches of spread. Most rooms in a house, aren't more than 30 or so feet across. So, no. It does not mean even a poor shot can hit someone. A shotgun's spread widens the further it goes. That also means, the further the pattern spreads, the less lethal it gets. You shoot a guy with a 12ga at 30 feet, you'll paint the wall behind him with his guts. You shoot a guy with that same gun and load at 100 feet, you'll pepper him with BBs. But the chances of it being a lethal shot are severely diminished.
I'm no expert but from what I've read, a shotgun is easy to stick a few pellets in someone but that's about it after a few feet. Very easy to clip someone, but if you have anyone who is determined, or out of their minds intoxicated, it's not gonna bring them down if you don't get the full force of all the shot into them. Also, you've got many less rounds before a reload is necessary with a shotgun.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Some people still actually think the AR stands for assault rifle. Au contraire.
I say assault rifle just cause it's a commonly used term, but yeah, I know it means Armalite and I know that there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no expert but from what I've read, a shotgun is easy to stick a few pellets in someone but that's about it after a few feet. Very easy to clip someone, but if you have anyone who is determined, or out of their minds intoxicated, it's not gonna bring them down if you don't get the full force of all the shot into them. Also, you've got many less rounds before a reload is necessary with a shotgun.
Yeah a lot of it depends on the shotgun shell you use as well. Slug shot, bird shot and buck shot will all do vastly different things.

Shit, you really can't go wrong with either for home defense. And I've started thinking about having something in my office.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I haven’t read this thread yet but I plan to.

I think I’m gonna be getting my first AR, in fact my first weapon of any kind.

I’ve already done some research and have an idea of why I want, but any suggestions?
Seriosly, it depends on what you want it for. If it's for home defense, my recommendation would be a shotgun. If it's for target and small game shooting then an AR would be good. Any number of them would be fine as most are what is called mil spec. In other wards all the parts meet the standards and can be used in the others. Ruger makes a nice inexpensive AR, so does Smith and Wesson and a few others. Kinda depends on how much you want to spend too.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I’ve been a fan of the Glock 22 for many years. It isn’t the most accurate weapon I’ve ever fired, but I really like it.
Last week I bought a model 17 Gen 5. My plan is to trick this one out with a better trigger, threaded barrel, maybe a fancy lightened slide and a suppressor. Going to get the Dead Air Ghost M for a 45 so I can use it on a variety of guns. I did go shoot it stock though and it's amazingly smooth and accurate as is.

Also, I was working on my fence last Friday and a friend of mine dropped by. He is a construction guy but makes money in shooting competitions as well. He had done some work a short while back for the guy that owns a company called Infinity Arms. They are the kind of guns Multi would buy! :buddy This gun was a 1911 style 9mm, Slide breaks just behind the front site so it never moves when the gun cycles. action as smooth as glass like it was made of teflon and lubed in silicone. I mean truly amazing. I want one, but they start at $4000.
http://www.sviguns.com/

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Last week I bought a model 17 Gen 5. My plan is to trick this one out with a better trigger, threaded barrel, maybe a fancy lightened slide and a suppressor. Going to get the Dead Air Ghost M for a 45 so I can use it on a variety of guns. I did go shoot it stock though and it's amazingly smooth and accurate as is.

Also, I was working on my fence last Friday and a friend of mine dropped by. He is a construction guy but makes money in shooting competitions as well. He had done some work a short while back for the guy that owns a company called Infinity Arms. They are the kind of guns Multi would buy! :buddy This gun was a 1911 style 9mm, Slide breaks just behind the front site so it never moves when the gun cycles. action as smooth as glass like it was made of teflon and lubed in silicone. I mean truly amazing. I want one, but they start at $4000.
http://www.sviguns.com/

Thise weapons are almost too pretty to shoot.

I’ve had the opportunity to shoot the Glock 18 a few times. It was really fun. I fired three round bursts to maintain control of the weapon, but heavily considered emptying the magazine in one fell swoop.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ok, so this is the rifle I ordered:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-optics-ready

I got it on another website, gunprime.com, for $449 though. Seems like a killer deal. When I went into my local dealer for the FFL license, I was showing him the order paperwork, and he goes, "Wow. That's an awesome price."

I got it "optics ready" because I didn't like the A-frame sights. I want to buy low profile flip up iron sights.

I also want to replace the handguard. I can't decide if I want a magpul m-lok handguard/rail system, or a picatinny quad rail. Either would have to be drop-in cause the barrel is not free floating. Any recommendations? But I think I can get a cheap one of either for about $30.

Need to get a locking case, ear protection, and a 2nd/3rd magazine too, but that's stuff's easy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just put a laser on it and that will be your sight.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Ok, so this is the rifle I ordered:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-optics-ready

I got it on another website, gunprime.com, for $449 though. Seems like a killer deal. When I went into my local dealer for the FFL license, I was showing him the order paperwork, and he goes, "Wow. That's an awesome price."

I got it "optics ready" because I didn't like the A-frame sights. I want to buy low profile flip up iron sights.

I also want to replace the handguard. I can't decide if I want a magpul m-lok handguard/rail system, or a picatinny quad rail. Either would have to be drop-in cause the barrel is not free floating. Any recommendations? But I think I can get a cheap one of either for about $30.

Need to get a locking case, ear protection, and a 2nd/3rd magazine too, but that's stuff's easy.
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

They are practically giving AR's away right now.

I have the same one you bought.

Hand guards are a great upgrade....look around at places like Primary Arms and Cheaper than Dirt for some good deals. Leapers are one of my favs. If you look around you can find them on sale for 70 bucks or so. IMO, you are wasting your money if you go with a 2 piece guard.

Let me know if you need any help, or if you want I'd be glad to install the guard for ya. I have all the holding fixtures and torque wrench, along with any tools to take the barrel off and install the handguard.

I put a UTG on mine.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=24]mschmidt64[/MENTION]

They are practically giving AR's away right now.

I have the same one you bought.

Hand guards are a great upgrade....look around at places like Primary Arms and Cheaper than Dirt for some good deals. Leapers are one of my favs. If you look around you can find them on sale for 70 bucks or so. IMO, you are wasting your money if you go with a 2 piece guard.

Let me know if you need any help, or if you want I'd be glad to install the guard for ya. I have all the holding fixtures and torque wrench, along with any tools to take the barrel off and install the handguard.

I put a UTG on mine.
Yeah, so I was gonna put a Leapers UTG 15" Drop In Carbine Length Super Slim handguard on it, for $103. The "carbine length" drop in still attached at the delta ring and the gas block, at carbine length, but only the bottom part. So only the bottom part was 7". The top part was 15" long, and didn't attach to the rifle at all, it screwed into the 7" bottom part, which was "dropped in." The 15" top part then had a hole where the gas block and A-Frame sights could protrude.

Then, another 7" bottom piece that ran to the end of the barrel screwed into the 15" top piece, giving the appearance of one continuous handguard, when in reality it was 3 pieces, only one of which "dropped in" with the delta ring.

However, I realized that while this Drop In handguard was advertised to work with the Smith and Wesson MP 15 Sport 2, it was only working with the A-Frame sight version. I got the Optics Ready (OR) version, which had a bigger gas block. The "hole" in the rail was not big enough for the gas block, so I'd have to buy, and have a gun smith put on, a low profile gas block if I wanted that to work.

When I went to my local gunsmith to inquire about a low profile gas block, he told me about a Guntec USA free floating handguard they had instead. It was $110. So for like $7 more dollars, since I had to pay to buy and have them install a low profile gas block anyway, they could just also install the free float handguard.

So I went with that instead.

I'll upload a pic in a min.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Damn DCC not letting me upload a decent sized picture.

Don't want to upload to facebook. Where is a quick file upload service I can use?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Since then I put some Tacticon Iron Sights ($27 on Amazon) on it. Deciding what other accessories I need. I'd like a holo sight or red dot sight but those are expensive as balls.

Also... ammo is also way too expensive. 40 cents or more per round for 5.56 or .223 at some places. I got 120 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 FMJ at Academy Sports and it was like 43 cents a round, in six 20-round boxes.

Then I went to Walmart and they had it cheaper. I got another 120 rounds (in one box) of the same 5.56 for like 36 cents a round, and then I also got 100 rounds of Federal .223 ammo for 33 cents a round. Still, for all that, I've paid almost $150.

I could shoot all that in like a day or two.

Damn.... needs to be like 10-15 cents a round.

Top Bottom