The Gun Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I haven’t read this thread yet but I plan to.

I think I’m gonna be getting my first AR, in fact my first weapon of any kind.

I’ve already done some research and have an idea of why I want, but any suggestions?

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I’ve already done some research and have an idea of why I want, but any suggestions?
Thanks for nothing, assholes.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Thanks for nothing, assholes.
:lol

Im not a gun enthusiast but I did read your post if that helps. I only own a 9mm for some protection at the house.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Depends on how much money you want to spend. If you are looking to go on the cheaper end, you could get a DPMS or Bushmaster. They are decent, but nothing special. Just remember, you get what you pay for. And this goes doubly when talking about firearms.

If you don't mind spending a little extra, I'd recommend going with a Colt. They are damn near indestructible, and very reliable.

Also, don't let them talk you into all the bells and whistles. You don't need all the extra fore grips, bi pods, picatinny rails, collapsible stock, etc... Just buy the basic rifle and spend time getting to know it by taking it apart and reassembling it before you even take it out on the range. Once you are comfortable with that, then go out and shoot. Later, if you want to add some extras, then go ahead. But decide what you want to add AFTER shooting it for awhile. No sense in spending the money on crap you might just take back off and never use.

As far as optics, I'd just learn to shoot it through the factory iron sites first. Then research if you'd want to add optics and what kind. There are a shitload of different types, through all price ranges. The guy selling you the gun will probably try to upsell a bunch of extras and the optics. Don't let him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I went in to a store wanting to look at the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II and the salesman tried to upsell me on the Springfield Armory Saint. The biggest difference I can remember him saying was the free floating barrel but I’m not sure I need all that. Not looking for long distance shooting.

Oh, and the other difference was the $950 price tag compared to $599.

But anyway I found the S&W online for $450 through a website called gunprime.com, but no sights. Probably will get that one and then get my own sights.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The S&W is a great gun. I have one and it will group 1/8” at 100 yards with quality ammo. You can’t go wrong with it IMO.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

An AR as your first weapon?

Maybe you should start out with a pellet gun, Junior.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I have Glock 27 in 40 cal that I have been carrying as a back up or plain clothes gun for years. Finally broke down and bought my first ever 9MM. I bought the Glock 43. It's a single stack and far easier to conceal. So now that I can can conceal it easier I carry it far more than I used to. Shoots like a dream as well.
I’ve been a fan of the Glock 22 for many years. It isn’t the most accurate weapon I’ve ever fired, but I really like it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Have you checked the new muzzle loader rifles? :art

Smitty

DCC 4Life
An AR as your first weapon?

Maybe you should start out with a pellet gun, Junior.
Um, no.

Everyone knows handguns are harder to fire. Shotguns harder to use accurately. No need to get something inferior to build up to the best. Just take classes, practice, it'll be fine.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I went in to a store wanting to look at the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II and the salesman tried to upsell me on the Springfield Armory Saint. The biggest difference I can remember him saying was the free floating barrel but I’m not sure I need all that. Not looking for long distance shooting.

Oh, and the other difference was the $950 price tag compared to $599.

But anyway I found the S&W online for $450 through a website called gunprime.com, but no sights. Probably will get that one and then get my own sights.
Some of the gun webstores have the best deals, some other ones to keep an eye out on are grabagun, budsgunshop, palmettostatearmory & gun.deals is slickdeals type website for guns/ammo

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Some of the gun webstores have the best deals, some other ones to keep an eye out on are grabagun, budsgunshop, palmettostatearmory & gun.deals is slickdeals type website for guns/ammo
Yeah, I got a Ruger LCP from a webstore and only gave like $250 for it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone knows handguns are harder to fire. Shotguns harder to use accurately. No need to get something inferior to build up to the best. Just take classes, practice, it'll be fine.
I don't know about all of this. I mean for example, if you're talking home defense you can't get much more accurate than a shotgun that has a spray pattern that makes it so even a poor shot can hit someone. And obviously hand guns are easier to store and grab or conceal if you are on the go.

Assault riffles are great but it all depends on the purpose you're using them for. If you're trying to kill a dude running away from your house at a good distance, the assault riffle makes the most sense.

Or are you talking about legal hunting?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't know about all of this. I mean for example, if you're talking home defense you can't get much more accurate than a shotgun that has a spray pattern that makes it so even a poor shot can hit someone. And obviously hand guns are easier to store and grab or conceal if you are on the go.

Assault riffles are great but it all depends on the purpose you're using them for. If you're trying to kill a dude running away from your house at a good distance, the assault riffle makes the most sense.

Or are you talking about legal hunting?
If you don't know what you're talking about, you really should refrain from commenting.

First... Assault rifle. :picard There is nothing more "assault' to an AR-15 than a mini-14 ranch rifle. They are both semi-automatic rifles. Nothing more.

Second, unless a shotgun is cut way down (which is illegal) the pattern isn't nearly as big as you are letting on here. A shotgun blast at close quarters, which is what we're talking about in home invasion, wouldn't have much more than a couple inches of spread. Most rooms in a house, aren't more than 30 or so feet across. So, no. It does not mean even a poor shot can hit someone. A shotgun's spread widens the further it goes. That also means, the further the pattern spreads, the less lethal it gets. You shoot a guy with a 12ga at 30 feet, you'll paint the wall behind him with his guts. You shoot a guy with that same gun and load at 100 feet, you'll pepper him with BBs. But the chances of it being a lethal shot are severely diminished.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't know what you're talking about, you really should refrain from commenting.

First... Assault rifle. :picard There is nothing more "assault' to an AR-15 than a mini-14 ranch rifle. They are both semi-automatic rifles. Nothing more.

Second, unless a shotgun is cut way down (which is illegal) the pattern isn't nearly as big as you are letting on here. A shotgun blast at close quarters, which is what we're talking about in home invasion, wouldn't have much more than a couple inches of spread. Most rooms in a house, aren't more than 30 or so feet across. So, no. It does not mean even a poor shot can hit someone. A shotgun's spread widens the further it goes. That also means, the further the pattern spreads, the less lethal it gets. You shoot a guy with a 12ga at 30 feet, you'll paint the wall behind him with his guts. You shoot a guy with that same gun and load at 100 feet, you'll pepper him with BBs. But the chances of it being a lethal shot are severely diminished.
As someone who has shot all of those guns and knows exactly the size of hole I can put in something with bird shot I disagree with you. It's why shooting skeet is so much fun. You ain't hitting one with a rifle.

You're so sensitive sometimes. I wasn't using the term assault riffle as anything but as a way to refer to the AR that schmidty is intending to buy. I'm well aware of what they are. I don't own one but I've shot one many times. And they are fun to shoot. But like I said, every gun has it's strengths. The AR isn't always the supreme choice. Although considering how wet you just got in the panties I'm assuming you disagree. That or you're so hyped up that you think I'm against the right to own an AR, which I'm not. I'm all for fire arms.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It has nothing to do with being sensitive or whatever. Using the term assault to describe these rifles is wrong. No matter how you want to spin it. Same with thinking shooting skeet is even remotely comparable to firing a shotgun in close quarters. Wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has nothing to do with being sensitive or whatever. Using the term assault to describe these rifles is wrong. No matter how you want to spin it. Same with thinking shooting skeet is even remotely comparable to firing a shotgun in close quarters. Wrong.
:picard

Fine I'll use the term ArmaLite if that makes you feel better. You're being overly sensitive.

And yes shooting 20 yards down a hallway has a pretty good spread on a shotgun. So come at me bro.

Cotton

Staff member
Some people still actually think the AR stands for assault rifle. Au contraire.

Cotton

Staff member
:picard

Fine I'll use the term ArmaLite if that makes you feel better. You're being overly sensitive.

And yes shooting 20 yards down a hallway has a pretty good spread on a shotgun. So come at me bro.
That would be a 60 foot hallway. You must have a massive ass house.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be a 60 foot hallway. You must have a massive ass house.
Yeah slight exaggeration. But the spreads on bird shot at even 10 yards are pretty big. Of course you lose some killing power at that point.

My house doesn't even really have a hallway. I'd be more likely to be shooting from the upstairs railing down on to an intruder on the main level.

Top Bottom