So If New England Were To Call Looking For TE Help ...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So If New England Were To Call Looking For TE Help ...

Posted 23 hours ago

When the Cowboys drafted Gavin Escobar with their second-round pick this past April, immediately the talk was of a two-tight end set and more “12 Personnel” packages being displayed.

The idea was to play their tight ends similarly to what New England has done in the past. However, with training camp about a month away, the Patriots appear to be in major need of tight ends with the recent release of Aaron Hernandez and the injury status of Rob Gronkowski.

So on this slow day in late June, we’re asking the writers of DallasCowboys.com to put on their GM hats. If the phone were to ring from New England inquiring about tight ends – any of them – just how would the conversation go?

So If New England Were To Call Looking For TE Help …

David Helman: If that old NBC show Let’s Make A Deal was still relevant, this is where I’d make that joke. Why on Earth wouldn’t you listen to that phone call? Jason Witten is incredible, but has in all likelihood played the majority of his career. On top of that, the Cowboys don’t know for sure what they have in any of their other options: Gavin Escobar, James Hanna or Dante Rosario. I would much rather part ways with one of the less-established guys at the position, for a late-round pick, let’s say. But if I could get two picks for one of the game’s best tight ends in Witten? I’d have to consider it. There’s no way I’d get a first and a second, which is what Nick says he’d want, but maybe a first and a fourth? So the Cowboys would still have several young, promising tight ends, and a quarterback who can get them the ball. Combine that with two first round draft picks in 2014, not to mention whatever other pick you could get for Witten. It’s not the type of action I’d expect the Patriots to take, but it’s a deal I’d definitely be willing to make.

Rowan Kavner: They probably called the right place to begin their search. The Cowboys legitimately have four tight ends that could draw interest, with Witten leading the pack. However, to fill Hernandez’s role, Escobar might be more along the lines of what the Patriots would like with his size, youth and receiving ability. Trading a second-round pick for him wouldn’t be enough. The Cowboys already got him there. They’d have to offer a one or offer a second-round pick and a young lineman on either side of the ball who the Cowboys believe could quickly compete to play. For Witten, I don’t think a first-round pick is enough, only because it’s unlikely the Patriots completely tank where that becomes a top 10 or 15 pick. A first-round and mid-round pick would pique my interest, though that’s probably too far for the Pats to go on a 31-year-old player. James Hanna, one of the most underrated talents on the Cowboys, could come to them much more affordably, and trading him for a third- or fourth-rounder would benefit both parties.

Nick Eatman: That would certainly be an interesting situation and one the Cowboys would be forced to listen to. I think all four tight ends would be on the table, Witten included. If the Patriots desperately wanted Witten, I’d want more than a first-round pick because it’s New England. They’d be picking in the late 20s probably. To part ways with my vocal leader, the most consistent performer I’ve got and one of the faces of this franchise, I’m asking for a first and a second. I’d probably ask for enough to get laughed at. I wouldn’t take a second next year for Escobar so he’s probably off the table. I’d probably offer Hanna for a third-round selection. They might want Rosario for a late-round pick. At this point, treat the Patriots like they’re in an airport with nowhere else to go and jack up the prices.

Bryan Broaddus: From my dealings with the Patriots in the past, I know how much respect they have for Witten and his ability, but is it enough to offer a first-round selection for his services? That is a possibility. At 31, Witten is still playing at a very high level and would be great value for them considering they traditionally are picking at the back end of the round. The Cowboys will always listen to a deal, but it has to blow them away. To get it done, they would probably need to make that a first and a third. Where the Patriots might do is try to grab Hanna. New England would most likely offer a third or fourth, but knowing what I know about this Cowboys front office and their love for Hanna, that doesn’t get it done. The Cowboys will try and hold the Patriots feet to the fire, shoot for the second and see what happens. The Pats really are in a desperate situation scheme-wise with the injury to Gronkowski and the release of Hernandez and let’s not forget that they let Wes Welker walk as well this spring. To try and replace all of those pieces on their offense might force them to make some decisions about their football future that could work to the advantage of the Cowboys.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
Rowan Kavner: They probably called the right place to begin their search.
Yeah, but not for the reasons you stated. If they did call the Cowboys they would have called the right place first because Jerry always gives the best deals.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, but not for the reasons you stated. If they did call the Cowboys they would have called the right place first because Jerry always gives the best deals.
If you really sit and think about it, we've got bent over in every single for-player-trade where Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells were not the head coach.

The last deal for a player I think actually worked out to Dallas' advantage was Terry Glenn.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
As a card carrying homer, I'd hate to see Witten leave. He's the type of guy you'd like to see spend his entire career here. But if they came offering a 1st and whatever for him, you'd have to seriously think about it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As a card carrying homer, I'd hate to see Witten leave. He's the type of guy you'd like to see spend his entire career here. But if they came offering a 1st and whatever for him, you'd have to seriously think about it.
You would. Jerry would never ever part with him. Until he ends up releasing him. He gets too emotionally attached to players, even schlubs...let alone all-timers.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What we should do is get the 2nd rounder back we gave up for Escobar.

Hell, since we don't really need Hanna anymore, maybe we can trade him for a 5th given how desperate New England is right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It would be very hard to part with Witten.

Escobar, on the other hand.... a 2nd and change could get it done.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What we should do is get the 2nd rounder back we gave up for Escobar.

Hell, since we don't really need Hanna anymore, maybe we can trade him for a 5th given how desperate New England is right now.
If the reports are true about Hanna outplaying Escobar, why the hell would you trade him?

I'd cut my losses on Escobar right now for the cost to draft him and his constant open mouth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If the reports are true about Hanna outplaying Escobar, why the hell would you trade him?

I'd cut my losses on Escobar right now for the cost to draft him and his constant open mouth.
That's the way I see it also.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Hey, I'd rather keep Hanna myself, but I'm not turning down a good offer for him.

Plus, I know how this team thinks and there's no way they keep Hanna over the guy they just spent a 2nd on even if they know he's being outplayed.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I'd trade Witten for a first and change and never look back. He's a great player... One of my all time favorites and one of the best to ever wear the star, but he's on the backside of his career and if you can get a first rounder to build for the future, I do it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd trade Witten for a first and change and never look back. He's a great player... One of my all time favorites and one of the best to ever wear the star, but he's on the backside of his career and if you can get a first rounder to build for the future, I do it.
Anyone that says differently isn't thinking straight. Or they are a drooling moron.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I wouldn't trade Witten for a 1st and mid round pick. That first round pick would immediately get spent on another likely non-HOF TE and you're always rolling the dice when Jerry picks after the first couple of rounds.

And Witten may be in decline, but it's a very slow one. I think we can expect another 3-4 years of high level performance from him. It's not like his game is based on speed. Or he isn't tough enough to handle the injuries that come with age. I'm not gambling on finding another guy that hits the field a couple of weeks after getting his frikkin spleen stomped flat.

Trading Escobar for the 2nd he cost makes the most sense. But in Jerry's mind that would look like he made a mistake making the pick to begin with so I can't see it happening. Expect another missed opportunity.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Holy shit. Brady with Witten might become an all-time great combination.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Hanna would go to NE and immediately become the second coming of Tony Gonzales! :skurred

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The best place for NE to call would be Philly, where Brent Celek is clearly the odd man out.

Top Bottom