Draft Targets by Round

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've compiled a list of names I like.... pet cats, maybe.... guys that I would target with our respective selections in each round and be very happy with.... based on the round they are projected to go in.

I'm basing the projections on the 2014 Ourlads Draft Guide and their estimations on where players should be drafted. I try to resolve all discrepancies based on NON-availability. For example, if I have a guy I like in the fourth round, but the guide says he's a 2nd/3rd rounder, I either put him on my list of third round targets, or I don't list him (example: Tre Turner is listed as a 2nd/3rd rounder; while I think it's a good possibility he slides to the fourth, where he'd be a target for me, you won't see him on my fourth round target list because the guide says he's a 2nd/3rd and that's too early for me).

Conversely, I think the guide is overly generous for how long a player like CJ Mosely will last; it has him as a "1st/2nd rounder." I don't think he will realistically get anywhere close to #47 so I won't list him as a second round target, even though the guide calls him a 2nd round possibility and even though I'd take him in the second round in a heartbeat. If I think the guide is too generous with how late a player goes (see Demarcus Lawrence, who it calls a third rounder), then I will simply put him in the higher round, if I'd want him in that higher round.

I'm also gonna go light in the first round, because otherwise I'd be naming pretty much all the top players, and that's boring. Instead, for the first round, I'll name the three guys I think are likely to be there that I am most interested in, the most realistic "best case scenario" in my mind.

First Round

DT Aaron Donald
OLB/DE Anthony Barr
OT Taylor Lewan

Second Round

QB Jimmy Garropolo
OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
DE Kareem Martin
DE Dee Ford
DE Scott Crichton
DE Demarcus Lawrence
DT Dominique Easley
SS Jimmy Ward
Any of the first round DLs that happen to slide (Louis Nix, Kony Ealy, Ra'Shede Hageman, etc)

Third Round

QB Zach Mettenberger
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Paul Richardon
WR Bruce Ellington
OG Gabe Jackson
OG David Yankey
OG Cyril Richardson
DT Will Sutton
CB Keith McGill
FS LaMarcus Joyner
FS Terrence Brooks

Fourth Round

QB AJ McCarron
QB Aaron Murray
QB Tom Savage
WR Josh Huff
WR Davante Adams
OG Brandon Thomas
OT Billy Turner
DE Jackson Jeffcoat
DE Will Clarke
DT Kelcy Quarles
LB Telvin Smith
LB Carl Bradford

Fifth Round

QB David Fales
RB Storm Johnson
RB De'Anthony Thomas
RB Dri Archer
WR Cody Latimer
WR Tevin Reese
WR Robert Herron
WR Cody Hoffman
OG Spencer Long
DE Aaron Lynch
DT Caraun Reid
LB/DE Trevor Reilly
LB Chris Borland
LB Christian Jones
LB Max Bullough
LB Yawin Smallwood
LB James Morris
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
CB Walt Aikens
CB Aaron Colvin
FS Dion Bailey
FS Tre Boston

Sixth Round

RB Antonio Andrews
WR Devin Street
WR Mike Davis
OG Anthony Steen
C Tyler Larsen
DT Justin Ellis
CB Antone Exum

Seventh Round

QB Bryn Renner
QB Garrett Gilbert
TE Jacob Pedersen
OT Matt Hall
DE Ethan Westbrooks
DE Kerry Hyder
DT Khyri Thornton
DT Bruce Gaston
LB Howard Jones
CB Marcus Williams

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Schmitty...you really need to do some research about where guys are slotted to go. Approximately half your fourth round probably will never make it there. Chris Borland will not be a fifth rounder, Exum a sixth etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Schmitty...you really need to do some research about where guys are slotted to go. Approximately half your fourth round probably will never make it there. Chris Borland will not be a fifth rounder, Exum a sixth etc.
Jeffcoat won't make it to the 4th and Joyner won't make it to the 3rd. Good effort, Smitty. Now, get back out there and practice harder. It's a process.

Carl

RIP Brother
Latimer for example is probably going in 1st now; certainly in top 40. But if he there in the 5th, I'll take him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Latimer for example is probably going in 1st now; certainly in top 40. But if he there in the 5th, I'll take him.
Well, yeah. I'd take any guy slotted for the 1st/2nd in the 5th.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeffcoat won't make it to the 4th and Joyner won't make it to the 3rd. Good effort, Smitty. Now, get back out there and practice harder. It's a process.
You used two bad examples as neither is a particularly "hot" prospect here, but your point was somewhat there.

There are guys right now that are probably going to go way higher than people expect. Here are some guys that were 3rd rounders or so (even lower) a few months ago, but now are getting 1st/2nd buzz:

WR Cody Latimer
QB Tom Savage
C Weston Richburg
OT JuWan James
OT Morgan Moses
OT Joel Bitonio

Then other guys that people think are first round locks like Pryor might end up in the second instead of first.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Like I said in the OP, I'm just going by the Ourlads draft guide. I don't think it's nearly as bad as you make it out to be. A guy like Borland they have slotted as a "fourth/fifth" so yeah, he could go earlier, but in the 5th is where I'd consider him more of a steal so I put him in that slot.

I think pretty much all the guys I have listed as my 5th round targets were marked "fourth/fifth." Not all of them are gonna go in the fourth. Like I said, I think the fifth round, there is gonna be a lot of fourth round graded players left over. Very rich in that area of the draft this year.

Anyway, they've got a complete ranking; those guys they have listed as "fourths/fifths" are legitimately ranked like, 110th, 115th, 120th, etc, on their list. So if they are gone, others ahead of them will be there instead. Somebody has to fall.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jeffcoat won't make it to the 4th and Joyner won't make it to the 3rd.
Obviously I can't "predict" with any real, 100% accuracy which guys will go earlier and which won't, but if Jeffcoat goes before the fourth, then another DE of his caliber won't. Same for Joyner. They've got a guy like Ed Reynolds ranked as a second round pick; if Joyner is gone, then Reynolds or Terrence Brooks will be there.

Just reading through the rankings.... too many players, not enough picks. They can't all go.

Top Bottom