boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus Big Board: Ranking The Top 50 Prospects

Posted 59 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

Follow BryanBroaddus on Twitter All Bryan Broaddus Articles

IRVING, Texas – By this point in the draft cycle, you’ve likely heard of most of the guys on my big board. At the same time, you’re bound to notice some big names missing from the list – there’s no Teddy Bridgewater or Kelvin Benjamin to be found here.

After plenty of hours studying the tape, this is simply my 50 best targets in the draft – from obvious stars to some lesser-known surprises. This should give some idea of what to expect in the first two rounds of the draft, and who the Cowboys may have a chance of taking.

1Jadeveon ClowneySouth Carolina DEExplosive, disruptive player off the edge
2Greg RobinsonAuburn OTPowerful athlete, gets movement right away
3Sammy WatkinsClemson WRLarry Fitzgerald with speed.
4Mike EvansTexas A&M WRWill give corners problems with his reach
5Jake MatthewsTexas A&M OTSmooth in the way he moves. Rarely off balance
6Anthony BarrUCLA LBPerfect 3-4 OLB but could be an End, Jason Taylor?
7Khalil MackBuffalo LBHe or Barr, have feeling that both will make impact
8Eric EbronNorth Carolina TEMismatch nightmare for defenses to have to cover.
9Aaron DonaldPittsburgh DTSuper productive, disruptive when on the move.
10Taylor LewanMichigan OTTough, closed gap on other Tackles in workouts.
11Martin, ZackNotre Dame OTTons of starts, position flex along the line.
12CJ MoselyAlabama LBPhysical take on and shed, is always in the pile.
13Odell BeckhamLSU WRCan line up anywhere and make plays.
14Calvin PryorLouisville SPlays with range and toughness. Has a nose for ball
15Timmy JerniganFlorida State DTIdeal 1 technique in 4-3 , hold point but can push
16Blake BortlesCentral Florida QBIdeal size and arm strength. Working hard on feet
17Ryan ShazierOhio State LBImpressive in the way he chase the ball, can motor.
18Johnny ManzielTexas A&M QBCan really spin it on the move. Gym rat kind of player
19Kyle FullerVirginia Tech CBCan play either off or man coverage well, slot too.
20Justin GilbertOklahoma State CBBest press man corner in the draft, love way he moves
21Marquise LeeUSC WRShort but tough, can cover the slot, tackles well, always around ball
22Jason VerrettTCU CBKnows how to make things happen with ball in hands.
23Brandin CooksOregon State WRBetter receiver than Tavon Austin but same size
24Darqueze DennardMichigan State CBPress man all day, gives you something on the blitz
25Derek CarrFresno State QBFeel he is the most ready to line up and play now.
26Scott CrichtonOregon State DEPro style body for position, strong at point, can rush .
27Xavier Su'-a-FiloUCLA OGPlayed Tackle some but needs to be Guard, toughness
28Jimmie WardNorthern Illinois SConverted corner that can carry men all over the field
29Demarcus LawrenceBoise State DEThese Boise kids have done well in NFL. He will too
30Dominique EasleyFlorida DTVery disruptive player, is always going up the field.
31Dee FordAuburn DEMost likely a 3-4 OLB with some big time rush skills
32Ra'Shede HagemanMinnesota DTWhen this cat is on, he can be a pain in the rear to block
33Cody LatimerIndiana WRCan break a defense down with his ability. Violent player
34Ha-Ha Clinton DixAlabama SShowed range in A&M game but would like to see more
35Kony EalyMissouri DEMight be a better 3 technique than a defensive end.
36Louis NixNotre Dame NTBest nose man in the draft.
37Jace AmaroTexas Tech TELines up all over the place, solid hands, gets down the field
38Jarvis LandryLSU WRIs a thinner Hinds Ward, does everything you want, plus hands
39Austin Seferian JenkinsWashington TEMassive size, moves well, catches everything, some inline work
40Kareem MartinNorth Carolina DELike Crichton, has a pro body, can leverage the run, quicks for pass
41Lamarcus JoynerFlorida State CB / SShort but tough, can cover the slot, tackles well, always around ball
42Gabe JacksonMississippi State OGSurprising athletic ability for his size, very powerful, maybe ROT?
43Will ClarkeWest Virginia DENice size and weight, high motor and effort player, can go inside
44Paul RichardsonColorado WRQuarterback did him no favors, slight build but willing to take route inisde
45Jimmy GarappoloEastern Illinois QBLike his accuracy and smarts, game does not look too big for him on tape.
46Bradley RobyOhio State CBPress well in the press, is more than a willing tackler to get job done.
47Jeremy HillLSU RBIs a big, physical back that can come downhill and hurt you, catches well.
48Brandon ThomasClemson OGWhere he will be selected hurt by pre draft knee injury, on tape, solid guy
49Will SuttonArizona State DTDon’t sleep on this guy, weight appears under control, ability is there too.
50JaWaun JamesTennessee OTIf you havent see this kid play, make sure you go and study him. Ability.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
There must be something leaked behind the scenes about Bridgewater, only thing I can think of for his drop

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There must be something leaked behind the scenes about Bridgewater, only thing I can think of for his drop
I kind of hope he failed a drug test or something honestly.

Otherwise all of these pundits who lauded him as the top QB prospect for nearly a year look real fricking stupid downgrading him after a bad Pro Day.

I think he has turned off a few with his personality, perhaps though.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I kind of hope he failed a drug test or something honestly.

Otherwise all of these pundits who lauded him as the top QB prospect for nearly a year look real fricking stupid downgrading him after a bad Pro Day.

I think he has turned off a few with his personality, perhaps though.
I have read a couple reports saying he didn't interview well so that could be part of it I guess, but I don't buy they're all doing it based just on his proday

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have read a couple reports saying he didn't interview well so that could be part of it I guess, but I don't buy they're all doing it based just on his proday
I didn't care for his personality very much as he seems a little too concerned with being a "celebrity", but his game play was pretty hard to top.

There was also the glove thing which he didn't have at his Pro Day. That I still don't get as the guy can wear a glove and if that's the thing that makes him more accurate, so what?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Telegraphing Jernigan as Dallas' pick?

Clinton-Dix at 34 with Pryor 14th-- a lot of websites rank Pryor second-best.

Ealy at 3-technique makes a lot of sense. Frankly almost any bigger 4-3 DE would excel as a 3-technique in Marinelli's system since he's basically scheming the 3 as another DE spot vs an interior lineman who's less capable than NFL OT's.

My only problem with Ealy is the number of players supposedly ranked ahead of him drives his value down on draft day, but he's going to be a fine DL wherever he ends up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems pretty clear to me that if either Barr or Donald are there, they're the pick, after those two I'm guessing it's between Martin and then Jernigan, in that order. If all 4 of those are gone, I think it's almost a lock that we trade down, and that may even be the case if Jernigan is available.

There is a very large group of guys, probably around 8 or so, who I'd love after a trade down to the mid 20's but none of them would really thrill me at 16.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My only problem with Ealy is the number of players supposedly ranked ahead of him drives his value down on draft day, but he's going to be a fine DL wherever he ends up.
No, he isn't.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It seems pretty clear to me that if either Barr or Donald are there, they're the pick, after those two I'm guessing it's between Martin and then Jernigan, in that order. If all 4 of those are gone, I think it's almost a lock that we trade down, and that may even be the case if Jernigan is available.

There is a very large group of guys, probably around 8 or so, who I'd love after a trade down to the mid 20's but none of them would really thrill me at 16.
Jernigan is still a guy, per Goof Son, that they are still "trying to figure out" if he can play 1 or 3T in their system.

If there is still this kind of indecision at this point, it scares me.

I also think it pretty clear we will try to bail. My question is if we will be able to. I certainly hope there are some golden parachutes around because Donald is a pipe dream and Martin is getting pub now into the top 10-15.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jernigan is still a guy, per Goof Son, that they are still "trying to figure out" if he can play 1 or 3T in their system.

I also think it pretty clear we will try to bail. My question is if we will be able to. I certainly hope there are some golden parachutes around because Donald is a pipe dream and Martin is getting pub now into the top 10-15.
I don't put much stock in what comes out of his mouth, I'd be surprised if the scouts/coaches were still so indecisive over Jernigan although nothing would surprise me with these jokers. I think the fact that we brought Jernigan in for a visit shows we are interested in him in the first, whether that's at 16 or after a trade down, as expecting him to fall to 47 would be completely unrealistic.

I'd be more than fine with Jernigan at 16 since although I probably value the 1 technique more than our idiotic brain trust does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't put much stock in what comes out of his mouth, I'd be surprised if the scouts/coaches were still so indecisive over Jernigan although nothing would surprise me with these jokers. I think the fact that we brought Jernigan in for a visit shows we are interested in him in the first, whether that's at 16 or after a trade down, as expecting him to fall to 47 would be completely unrealistic.

I'd be more than fine with Jernigan at 16 since although I probably value the 1 technique more than our idiotic brain trust does.
From what I have seen of our teams statements I think they brought Jernigan in to see specifically if he could be a three technique. If they don't view him as a three, I don't think they draft him in the first. Still I think Jernigan is a borderline three technique. I would say he is a guy who could be a good three but also hold his own as a one technique in this defense. The question is, do you take him over better pass rushing DT's and put him at the 3.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
From what I have seen of our teams statements I think they brought Jernigan in to see specifically if he could be a three technique. If they don't view him as a three, I don't think they draft him in the first. Still I think Jernigan is a borderline three technique. I would say he is a guy who could be a good three but also hold his own as a one technique in this defense. The question is, do you take him over better pass rushing DT's and put him at the 3.
You think that they are basing their evaluation of whether or not he can play a position on a visit to the team's HQ and maybe some kind of individual workout?

That would truly be the height of stupidity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think that they are basing their evaluation of whether or not he can play a position on a visit to the team's HQ and maybe some kind of individual workout?

That would truly be the height of stupidity.
Jerry has already said their evaluations aren't complete. So I'm guessing they are still evaluating players, including game tape.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't get what the consternation is. Oh no, Martin will be gone? Then fucking Lewan will be there.

There's too many players I'd be happy with at 16 to be scared that they will all be gone. Some QBs are gonna go ahead of us. Some DBs are gonna go ahead of us. Some surprises are going to go ahead of us.

We'll be fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get what the consternation is. Oh no, Martin will be gone? Then fucking Lewan will be there.

There's too many players I'd be happy with at 16 to be scared that they will all be gone. Some QBs are gonna go ahead of us. Some DBs are gonna go ahead of us. Some surprises are going to go ahead of us.

We'll be fine.
Lewan will not be there.

Top Bottom