Machota - Former NFL scout: B.W. Webb ‘has playing traits like Asante Samuel'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Former NFL scout: Dallas Cowboys rookie B.W. Webb ‘has playing traits like Asante Samuel’

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
4:39 pm on May 7, 2013 |

After reading a story about Senior Bowl standouts in January I decided to save the article in case any of the players mentioned were drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. Going through some old stories earlier today I came across that particular piece written by CBSSports.com’s Rob Rang — and B.W. Webb was on the list.

Webb, a William & Mary cornerback the Cowboys drafted in the fourth round, was one of five prospects who improved their stock according to NFL scouts who Rang interviewed.

“Scouts knew Webb could cover, as he had shown quick feet, speed and route recognition on tape,” Rang wrote. “Needless to say, however, the jump in competition from the Colonial Athletic Association to the Senior Bowl was significant. But Webb certainly proved up to the task. The 5-10, 183-pounder showed improved physicality in Mobile and stepped up his play against the bigger receivers he faced on the South squad, showing the feistiness necessary to make the significant jump to the NFL.”

Rang also linked to a CBSSports.com article where former NFL scout and coach Pat Kirwan wrote that Webb “has playing traits like Asante Samuel.”

“He looks like a solid cover two corner with 48 college starts,” Kirwan wrote. “He holds up well in the man-to-man drills and has good anticipation in his zone drops.”

Webb should enter the 2013 season as the No. 4 corner on the Cowboys’ roster, behind Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick. Pretty good depth if Webb can be anything close to Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time Super Bowl champion who has intercepted 50 passes in his 10-year NFL career.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So we drafted Nick Mangold, Tony Gonzalez, Hakeem Nicks, Matt Forte, and Asante Samuel?

Best.Draft.EVER. :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was Mike Williams and Fred Jackson, not Hakeem Nicks and Matt Forte!
You are just being a negative nelly now. I mean, it's not unreasonable to think that Jerry Jones got the next Gonzo, Forte, Hicks and Mangold out of this draft. I mean, he's done that kind of thing before.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I knew keeping Jason Garret another year would pay off!!!!!!

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love me some Black Wiener.

Top Bottom