Machota: Jerry Jones - I don’t have plans to put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: I don’t have plans to put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:51 pm on August 28, 2014

Twenty NFL seasons have been played since Jimmy Johnson was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He helped the franchise win two Super Bowls.

Think again.

In a lengthy feature that was published Thursday, Jones told ESPN senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. that he doesn’t have plans to add Johnson to the prestigious Ring of Honor.

In a video posted on ESPN’s website, Jones paused after the question was asked before explaining that he thinks that honor should be reserved for those who, “were on the field, and making the plays.”

What’s the problem with that idea? Well, the Ring of Honor already includes legendary Cowboys coach Tom Landry and former general manager Tex Schramm. Both have been added since Jones purchased the franchise in 1989.

“There was just an undermining that went on,” Jones says of his time working with Johnson. “It’s subtle. It’s smart. … I lost my tolerance of having an associate, a friend, not be loyal. I’ve been told, ‘That’s trite. You should be bigger than that.’ I mean, really — am I so dumb that I don’t know you don’t fire a coach after y’all just won two straight Super Bowls?”

In the over 10,000-word piece, Jones says the Super Bowl XXX trophy from Jan. 1996 is the one he cherishes most, “Because when we were handed it,” Jones says, “Barry [Switzer] said, ‘We did it our way, baby!’”

“I’d rather have won that one with Barry 10 times more than doing the same thing with Jimmy, a thousand times more than having done the same thing with Jimmy,” Jones said. “Just simply because I guess I am still that damn frustrated with the way everything happened with Jimmy.”

A statement from Johnson was included in the feature.

“When I went to the Cowboys, Jerry told me he’d handle the marketing and money and I’d handle the football and we’d make history,” Johnson said. “That changed after the first Super Bowl. I appreciate the opportunity he gave me and I’m proud of what we were able to accomplish.”

Jones later said that firing Johnson after winning a second consecutive Lombardi Trophy has been more of a negative for him than it was for Johnson.

That move, “caused him to never have won but two Super Bowls!” Jones said, practically shouting, according to Van Natta. “I don’t give a s— what it is, but it caused one thing for him: He’ll never win but two! I’ve won three — and I may get to win five more!”

Just wow.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
More proof that Jerry comes before the organization.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jesus.

No wonder we're screwed. He can't even get over what happened 20 years ago.

Carl

RIP Brother
Spite works. Jerry is a complete dick, but Jimmy is no saint.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That move, “caused him to never have won but two Super Bowls!” Jones said, practically shouting, according to Van Natta. “I don’t give a s— what it is, but it caused one thing for him: He’ll never win but two! I’ve won three — and I may get to win five more!”
:lol

Easy there, killer. The Cowboys won't even win 5 more playoff games under your watch.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Regardless of hurt feelings, it is a dick move.

Jones has always used the Ring Of Honor for his own politics.

Drew Pearson has got dicked because he crossed Jones about hats.

He has taken a giant greasy runny redneck shit on that as well, just as he has polluted everything about this franchise's history.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He has taken a giant greasy runny redneck shit on that as well, just as he has polluted everything about this franchise's history.
You still pissed about that 50 year patch? Jesus. Let it go.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can bet your ass that Jerry will force as many guys that he drafted as possible into the ROH just to make himself look good.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Regardless of hurt feelings, it is a dick move.

Jones has always used the Ring Of Honor for his own politics.

Drew Pearson has got dicked because he crossed Jones about hats.

So true. Drew Pearson should be in the Hall of Fame and Jerry Jones wants to fuck him over a few bucks.

dallen

Senior Tech
What a small, petty little shit. F*** him. The only reason they won the 3rd one was because Johnson built the team for him.

Top Bottom