Top 3 you would keep...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just think. With this OL, if we even had an average RB, they'd probably rush for 5,000 yards.
I didn't pick Murray as one of my 3 but I agree. Some of the shit talking like Murray is just an average back lately is crazy. He might not have crazy great vision but dude is fast and runs with tremendous power. He can turn the corner with the best of them and run over guys as well as anyone. When you need 1 yard, he will knock a dude over to get you 3.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No kidding, I've been talking about this for a while. Our offensive line was very good last year. It just happens to be even better this year.
The line was ok but they spent all their time in pass protection mode. Hard to balance a game where the game plan is predominantly throwing the ball. Has everyone already forgotten all the angts about not running the ball?

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I didn't pick Murray as one of my 3 but I agree. Some of the shit talking like Murray is just an average back lately is crazy. He might not have crazy great vision but dude is fast and runs with tremendous power. He can turn the corner with the best of them and run over guys as well as anyone. When you need 1 yard, he will knock a dude over to get you 3.
Yeah here the guy breaks the record of a football legend and icon and he is viewed as a so so back who doesn't have vision. Sounds pretty picky to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah here the guy breaks the record of a football legend and icon and he is viewed as a so so back who doesn't have vision. Sounds pretty picky to me.
When it is said he doesn't have vision, that doesn't mean he has none. But you can't look at the guy in the open field beyond the line of scrimmage and claim he is gifted in that regard.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Listen, I like Rolando McClain right now, but I think we might be getting just a LITTLE bit carried away.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not if you count that Leary and Frederick both improved substantially.
Or somebody started trusting the OL to do their effing job and quit calling plays like a scared little woman.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Obviously, I don't agree with you. Not just any back could do what Murray has done over the last 3 years, and to imply otherwise is retarded.
You know, when people say "The line is more responsible for what Murray is doing than Murray himself" that is not the same as saying "anyone could do this."

It means there is a difference between Murrary's career average/expectation; and that difference is due more to the line's performance than it is to Murray actually playing better himself.

Still, Murrary's career expectation is a high level/near Pro Bowl caliber back.

Some bottom of the barrel guy of course won't be able to do the same thing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Or somebody started trusting the OL to do their effing job and quit calling plays like a scared little woman.
Sure, that too, but come on.

Frederick is a second year starter, so is Leary. It's not going to kill anyone to admit that they have both improved from where they were as first year starters. They have.

D

Deuce

Not if you count that Leary and Frederick both improved substantially.
Leary has progressed for sure. Frederick was rock solid last year, only now he can work the middle with quality next to him instead of trying to overcompensate for both sides.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, when people say "The line is more responsible for what Murray is doing than Murray himself" that is not the same as saying "anyone could do this."

It means there is a difference between Murrary's career average/expectation; and that difference is due more to the line's performance than it is to Murray actually playing better himself.

Still, Murrary's career expectation is a high level/near Pro Bowl caliber back.

Some bottom of the barrel guy of course won't be able to do the same thing.
Murray's average per carry this year is the exact same as his career average...

I say that with jest though because Murray's average this year is hurt by the amount of running he is doing with 8 or more guys in the box. Especially at the end of games when we are running the clock out and the defense knows it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When it is said he doesn't have vision, that doesn't mean he has none. But you can't look at the guy in the open field beyond the line of scrimmage and claim he is gifted in that regard.
I have never made a comment about his vision. That topic is used by others. Frankly I don't know why it's a big deal in their first place since the end result is outstanding performance. If the worst someone can identify is vision issues it comes across as a trival assessment.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Leary has progressed for sure. Frederick was rock solid last year, only now he can work the middle with quality next to him instead of trying to overcompensate for both sides.
They've both progressed for sure. Frederick was a revelation last year -- but part of that was because we were used to dogshit at the position.

This year he's even better and should be in the conversation for Pro Bowl. He's taken a big step and amazingly enough he should be even better next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So you're saying the difference in production is the OL then?
They are producing because they are committed to and believe in running the ball. Any statistical way you look at it, the raw average numbers are the same.

We went from a running less than 40 percent of the time on first down to running it nearly at 60 percent.

That's not because Leary and Frederick got better after their first season.

Top Bottom