Archer: Ryan Williams looking for home with Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ryan Williams looking for home with Dallas
August, 24, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

MIAMI -- Ryan Williams doesn’t know if he will be able to earn a spot on the Dallas Cowboys, but he hopes he has done enough to earn a job somewhere in the NFL.

“You’ve got to realize reality,” Williams said. “There’s a lot of cuts coming up soon. I would love to be here. This is my favorite team, but I feel like I’ve been putting out great film.”

A second-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 2011, Williams played in only five games in three seasons because of injuries. He signed with the Cowboys in May and has steadily impressed with his running ability.

In Saturday’s 25-20 loss to the Miami Dolphins, he carried 12 times for 47 yards. Against the Baltimore Ravens on Aug. 16, he carried five times for 36 yards and had a touchdown.

His workload increased Saturday when Joseph Randle suffered an oblique injury.

“We were going to split time, try to get an equal number of reps, but Ryan got a chance to do because of Joseph’s strained oblique and really did a nice job,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He was running the football well.”

Williams’ 12 carries were the most he has had in a game since carrying it 14 times on Oct. 4, 2012, against the St. Louis Rams. With the stifling heat and extra work, Williams had to leave the game in the fourth quarter because of cramps.

“I haven’t played here since like 2010,” said Williams, referencing his days at Virginia Tech. “I forgot what it was like. I had to take my visor off. I cramped up a little bit. A lot of us had cramps today, I was just hoping I wasn’t one of them, but I was.”

Williams will get another chance to show what he can do Thursday against the Denver Broncos … for the Cowboys or anybody else.

“The opportunity was there and I felt like I capitalized on it,” he said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They need to figure out a way to keep this guy on the roster.
Hopefully, this injury to Randle will seal the deal. Not sure how serious the injury is, but it may be our only hope to keep Williams around.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Randle hasn't looked bad this PS, either. But if it came down to the two of these guys, I'd rather keep Williams.

But my question is this. What has Dunbar done to solidify his hold on the #2?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Randle hasn't looked bad this PS, either. But if it came down to the two of these guys, I'd rather keep Williams.

Yeah he has a few bright spots but I don't see using him a a regular running back because he can't deal with the middle of the defense. His bursts are too quick and he gets to the LOS before the hole is made. He has no patience or discipline in that area. It's all out or nothing. He is good on the perimeter however, because of his speed.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If we keep him it shows how smart Jer is. Just because he throws away a 2nd rounder one year doesn't mean he won't figure out a way to find a former 2nd round gem.

lol @ the dcc

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Can he play special teams is the question. I agree though he's the second best RB on the team from what I've seen. Frankly, he might be better than Murray as a pure runner. He sets up his blocks very well, is patient, is smart. Has power and some shiftiness. He does have the luxury of having played against scrubs though. I'm just not sure about catching passes, pass blocking or special teams. All things he'll need to be able to do.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The ST portion does not matter to me...we have others in the LB and WR corps that can fill that role. I am more inclined to keep a guy who can be a Murray like player when and if he goes down.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The ST portion does not matter to me...we have others in the LB and WR corps that can fill that role. I am more inclined to keep a guy who can be a Murray like player when and if he goes down.
To me he should be the #2 RB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Nothing.

He's not capable of being a real down to down RB. He is a gimmick. And not even an especially talented one, plus he fumbles a lot and gets hurt.

We need Williams on this roster.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Nothing.

He's not capable of being a real down to down RB. He is a gimmick. And not even an especially talented one, plus he fumbles a lot and gets hurt.

Apparently you missed the part about Dunbar = Reggie Bush. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Apparently you missed the part about Dunbar = Reggie Bush. :art
No, I have seen that horseshit. I just laugh and move on to something grounded in reality, namely being the fact that Dunbar is nothing special.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing.

Not sure I have ever seen a coaching staff give so much love to an undrafted RB who has basically done nothing of significance in the NFL. I get that the coaches can see a lot of stuff during practice that we aren't privy too but it seems like even elite established RBs are required to play more in preseason.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dunbar showed me something last year...then he fumbled and got hurt.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dunbar can be a decent weapon but he's only a bit player that you can give a handful of touches to per game and you can't really rely on him too much because he sucks in pass protection. A guy like him definitely has a place on a team but like everything else with this team his importance/value/ability is overexaggerated.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dunbar can be a decent weapon but he's only a bit player that you can give a handful of touches to per game and you can't really rely on him too much because he sucks in pass protection. A guy like him definitely has a place on a team but like everything else with this team his importance/value/ability is overexaggerated.
That's the way I see it also. He has value in certain circumstances but he isn't a rounded RB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Williams over Randle. That is all.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not sure I have ever seen a coaching staff give so much love to an undrafted RB who has basically done nothing of significance in the NFL. I get that the coaches can see a lot of stuff during practice that we aren't privy too but it seems like even elite established RBs are required to play more in preseason.

True, it's amazing how this franchise will make someone a made man so often without the player having a pedigree or shown much on the field.

And I like Dunbar, but they need to make him earn it a lot more than he has.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dunbar is the kind of player elite teams carry as a niche guy. When you are solid across the board it is easy to carry guys that have roles carved out. We don't have that, so it is tough to carry a guy who can't cover kicks and can't be an every down back.

Top Bottom