Archer: Tyler Patmon states his case

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tyler Patmon states his case

August, 24, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

MIAMI -- If a phone call last May was just a little different, Tyler Patmon would have been playing against the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday night as a member of the Miami Dolphins, not for them.

After going undrafted and unable to secure a rookie free-agent contract, Patmon had offers from the Cowboys and Dolphins to attend a rookie minicamp tryout. He chose the Cowboys’ offer and played well enough to earn a contract for training camp.

On Saturday, Patmon had two interceptions, returning one 9 yards for a touchdown, forced a fumble, deflected two passes and led the Cowboys with five tackles.

“I made a few plays,” Patmon said. “I left a couple out there, but I definitely made some plays.”

Perhaps enough to make the Cowboys’ 53-man roster. With Orlando Scandrick to be suspended for the first four games, the Cowboys will be looking for corners to pair with Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and Sterling Moore. With B.W. Webb out a hip flexor injury sustained in practice last week and unable to play against the Dolphins, Patmon was the beneficiary.

“I think he’s trying to make this team,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “He played like that. Don’t just look at tonight, but if you look at really how he’s competed all camp and you hear his name come up as these coaches have met from time to time, looking at the personnel, evaluating it, grading the personnel, he’s had a good camp overall.”

Patmon can play in the slot or outside, which helps his chances of making the team. So did his hustle on a 53-yard run.

“That was a short-yardage situation where they broke the line of scrimmage and that’s when the corners and safeties have to show up,” coach Jason Garrett said. “It potentially could’ve been a 70- or 80-yard touchdown run. To tackle him there even after a big gain, it forced them to earn it. Those are big plays.”

Big plays get undrafted players noticed.

The Cowboys’ cuts start this week and the 53-man roster will be finalized by Saturday. Patmon is not thinking he has anything made.

“Man, I can’t,” he said. “I’ve got to keep going, keep pounding, keep getting better every single day. That’s my goal and my mission to make my coaches believe that I can start in this league and play with the best players in this league.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's good news. Too bad Jerruh will keep Claibust over him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Considering the shitty state of our secondary, this guy should get every chance to stick.

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Hell, Patmon has already done more than Claiborne has done and he costs a helluva lot less.
Really so your ready to keep Patmon over Claiborne based on 1 preseason game and let's just forget the play he was roasted on.

Boy the Hyperbole is getting out of hand around here this is some Zone level of instant hero making.

Cotton

Staff member
Really so your ready to keep Patmon over Claiborne based on 1 preseason game and let's just forget the play he was roasted on.

Boy the Hyperbole is getting out of hand around here this is some Zone level of instant hero making.
It's more pointing to the fact that Claiborne could be replaced by a monkey and we would get better results.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I would like for Claiborne to be the player he is hyped to be but to my knowledge he has had only a couple of practices this year where he has even shown a few flashes. He has a lot to prove as far as I can see. Patmon on the other hand has had limited opportunities but has made the most of them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would like for Claiborne to be the player he is hyped to be but to my knowledge he has had only a couple of practices this year where he has even shown a few flashes. He has a lot to prove as far as I can see. Patmon on the other hand has had limited opportunities but has made the most of them.
And Claiborne has actually played NFL games at a competent level does that not factor into the equation?

It was an absurd statement Pattmon has as much or more to prove.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And Claiborne has actually played NFL games at a competent level does that not factor into the equation?

Claiborne will always get super scrutinized because Jerry more than overpaid for him. Not really Claiborne's fault,
but we cant fire the asshole owner, now can we?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

The Claiborne comparison was clearly born of frustration.

But keeping BW Webb over this guy at this point would be being stubborn. What has BW ever shown that justifies keeping him? This organization needs to reward success on the field. Pateman was everywhere and his forced turnovers basically kept Dallas in the game.

This defense is going to need a ton of that for Dallas to win more than 4 games.

Cotton

Staff member
The Claiborne comparison was clearly born of frustration.

But keeping BW Webb over this guy at this point would be being stubborn. What has BW ever shown that justifies keeping him? This organization needs to reward success on the field. Pateman was everywhere and his forced turnovers basically kept Dallas in the game.

This defense is going to need a ton of that for Dallas to win more than 4 games.
Of course it's from frustration. For the same reasons you talk about with BW. What has Claiborne shown that makes anyone think he should be kept around? Patmon got as many INTs in one game as Claiborne has gotten in his two year career.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

He has played but he has been average at best. My point about Claiborne is that he ha not played anywhere near the levels he was expected to do. He is a roster filler up to this point. I would like to see better from him. In fact I would be thrilled to see him have a breakout game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course it's from frustration. For the same reasons you talk about with BW. What has Claiborne shown that makes anyone think he should be kept around? Patmon got as many INTs in one game as Claiborne has gotten in his two year career.
Claiborne has played well in the games he's been healthy. Like it or not, he made a difference when he played in the season finale. Doesn't change the fact he's a relative disappointment or has trouble staying healthy, but at least he's started games.

BW Webb has produced utterly jack shat as a 4th round pick. The difference between William & Mary and the NFL has clearly been too big for BW.

Anyways, the light came on for Claiborne in preseason of his rookie year and clearly Pateman has also shown in these games that he's better than a scrub backup and deserves to be on a roster. Webb hasn't shown a thing in preseason games either, and that's a major red flag for me.

I'd be willing to bet if Webb was released today he'd be out of the NFL like most of Jerry's castoffs.

Cotton

Staff member
Claiborne has played well in the games he's been healthy. Like it or not, he made a difference when he played in the season finale. Doesn't change the fact he's a relative disappointment or has trouble staying healthy, but at least he's started games.

BW Webb has produced utterly jack shat as a 4th round pick. The difference between William & Mary and the NFL has clearly been too big for BW.

Anyways, the light came on for Claiborne in preseason of his rookie year and clearly Pateman has also shown in these games that he's better than a scrub backup and deserves to be on a roster. Webb hasn't shown a thing in preseason games either, and that's a major red flag for me.

I'd be willing to bet if Webb was released today he'd be out of the NFL like most of Jerry's castoffs.
Ya lost me right there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ya lost me right there.
I think he uses the words "relatively well" in place of "average".

He has not been suck ass when he has played.

But he is not like he's at a Sean Lee-level either in a similar comparison.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he uses the words "relatively well" in place of "average".

He has not been suck ass when he has played.

But he is not like he's at a Sean Lee-level either in a similar comparison.
He said well, not relatively well.

Top Bottom