Insane, yet not surprising

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 2h
Credit card close to maxed out. RT @corryjoel: @espn_macmahon Dallas has an NFL high $145.9M in '14 cap obligations.

So, we are what almost 30 million over cap going into next offseason as it stands right now?

Jesus.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 2h
Credit card close to maxed out. RT @corryjoel: @espn_macmahon Dallas has an NFL high $145.9M in '14 cap obligations.

So, we are what almost 30 million over cap going into next offseason as it stands right now?

Jesus.
And now you know why we will see a lot of Free this season.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Quick, someone go get a Zoner so they can tell me what a cap genius goof son is again.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Quick, someone go get a Zoner so they can tell me what a cap genius goof son is again.
Exactly. There were several Zone idiots applauding Jerry and Stephen for "fixing" the cap situation.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't worry. He will fix it by pushing things to the following year.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
These next few years are really going to suck, I think.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You mean more than the last 17 have?
We could sink to 2001 type levels. And I am being dead serious.

That was the last time we were in this bad of a shape in regards to the cap and I can tell you that we aren't getting out any time soon. I think they both realize they have to get cheap and the last time that happened we went 5-11 three years in a row.

This idea that we are playing from year to year, extending those who simply aren't worth it and drafting like we are just "one player away" is coming back to roost.

This team has nothing to hang its hat on and when the money runs out, the losses will come in bunches.

Cotton

Staff member
We could sink to 2001 type levels. And I am being dead serious.

That was the last time we were in this bad of a shape in regards to the cap and I can tell you that we aren't getting out any time soon. I think they both realize they have to get cheap and the last time that happened we went 5-11 three years in a row.

This idea that we are playing from year to year, extending those who simply aren't worth it and drafting like we are just "one player away" is coming back to roost.

This team has nothing to hang its hat on and when the money runs out, the losses will come in bunches.
It's not going to be pretty. I give us like 3 years to drop to 2001 levels, though. That is if current talent on the roster stays healthy. If we run into injury problems on the same level as last year, it could happen much sooner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not going to be pretty. I give us like 3 years to drop to 2001 levels, though. That is if current talent on the roster stays healthy. If we run into injury problems on the same level as last year, it could happen much sooner.
Oh it will be gradual.

7-9 or 6-10 this year. Then the bottom will fall out in 2014.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
One wildcard win in 17 years to show for all this. If hope didn't totally go out the window when these fools bet the house on more Tony Romo, it's definitely gone after yet another poor draft and this cap situation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One wildcard win in 17 years to show for all this. If hope didn't totally go out the window when these fools bet the house on more Tony Romo, it's definitely gone after yet another poor draft and this cap situation.

The cap alarms me far more than the draft thing. It used to be where we knew we could use the credit card to make up for years like 2009.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Based on the draft, even if we had cap room it's not like we know how to spend it. Look at what we paid a choker like Romo. Look at the contract we gave to Free. Look at our FA "haul" from last year.

Between the incompetent player evaluations, mismanagement of the cap, coaching hires and Jerry's over the top meddling I hope everyone has vivid memories of that wildcard win over the Eagles a few years back because it'll likely be the last one we see any time soon.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The cap alarms me far more than the draft thing. It used to be where we knew we could use the credit card to make up for years like 2009.
They both are equally disturbing to me.

I won't say alarming, because that implies you didn't expect it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh it will be gradual.

7-9 or 6-10 this year. Then the bottom will fall out in 2014.
7-9 has been my prediction for months for the 2013 season, and I too believe that 2014, after another year of both cap hell and this idiotic family calling the shots, will be the year where we really turn into pure shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They both are equally disturbing to me.

I won't say alarming, because that implies you didn't expect it.
Well, neither are totally unexpected, but we have made some really really dumb moves the last two-three years with the cap that are horrific.

The Sensabaugh extention. Free. And the little ones like Lissemore, Church etc.

It is like Jerry Jones took a page out of the extensions for Dummies book and did it. He thinks he was following the Eagles' model where you take young players and extend them before they ripen. Bad thing is, they were all backloaded deals that look like a monkey made them up.

The Eagles have been sitting pretty cap wise, even after what they did several years ago.

Cotton

Staff member
7-9 has been my prediction for months for the 2013 season, and I too believe that 2014, after another year of both cap hell and this idiotic family calling the shots, will be the year where we really turn into pure shit.
How can you have predicted our record before FA or the draft?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
How can you have predicted our record before FA or the draft?
:lol

Are you really asking me this?

It's not like it was bold prediction, nor was it something I needed to wait-and-see about.

You've got a very average team going into an offseason cap strapped and with the Jones' running the draft. Who in their right mind would look at that and come away thinking that the combination of all those things was going to leave the team with a real chance to improve its outlook for the upcoming season?

Let me ask you this, do you think we're 1 win better today than we were when the season ended that night in Washington?

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

Are you really asking me this?

It's not like it was bold prediction, nor was it something I needed to wait-and-see about.

You've got a very average team going into an offseason cap strapped and with the Jones' running the draft. Who in their right mind would look at that and come away thinking that the combination of all those things was going to leave the team with a real chance to improve its outlook for the upcoming season?

Let me ask you this, do you think we're 1 win better today than we were when the season ended that night in Washington?
I think that it's not easy to tell, even with Jones at the helm, what a team will look like before FA or the draft. Yes, you can bank on ongoing failure, but predicting a record before it plays out is a bit of a reach.

Top Bottom