The First Round Pick...

The First Round Pick...

• Total voters

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Assume Dallas talks themselves out of a DL in the first round. Assume they try to resign Spencer and think that returning players like Ben Bass and Tyrone Crawford are just as good as anyone they can draft at 17/18. Also assume they do not have the value with the safeties that are available.

What offensive positions would you feel comfortable drafting in the first round?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I said guard, but I would be fine with QB, OT, WR as well. The QB would have to be JF or Bortes and the WR Evans or Lee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I said guard, but I would be fine with QB, OT, WR as well. The QB would have to be JF or Bortes and the WR Evans or Lee.
Screw the WRs. Especially screw the TE. I do not care if Ebron is the next Hall of Fame TE, I want nothing to do with him.

Guard? Maybe but I do not think the value is there at the midpoint of the first round.

If Lewan or Martin fall around there, I would be onboard and just pray there is a starter DL type in the second.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is a good point on the Gs, but I was more looking at it from a positional standpoint. WR would be easy for me if Evans was there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is a good point on the Gs, but I was more looking at it from a positional standpoint. WR would be easy for me if Evans was there.
Evans and Bryant. Two first round WRs who can't get natural separation that Garrett could struggle to figure out how to use? Sign me up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
BPA. I don't think Dallas has the luxury of limiting themselves.

In general, though, I think WR's are the biggest offensive difference-makers outside of QB. OL is critical, but there are 5 of them so their importance is diluted a bit. Each impact WR pressures the defense like no other single non-QB position can.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Evans and Bryant. Two first round WRs who can't get natural separation that Garrett could struggle to figure out how to use? Sign me up.
Two players who can go up and get it. The Bears somehow made it work with big WRs. I am not jumping up and down for a WR either, just saying I would accept one as the pick.

dallen

Senior Tech
Pretty much any that you listed besides RB or TE would be fine with me if there is value there and no dline\LB\S worth the pick

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Two players who can go up and get it. The Bears somehow made it work with big WRs. I am not jumping up and down for a WR either, just saying I would accept one as the pick.
I think the Bears' android head coach is a better model than what we have.

I also think Garrett is gone after he fails again and the new head coach will likely be defensive minded and want to run more. I would rather have trench support for the offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Factor in Linehan...now feel stupid.

BOOM
Linehan will fail here just like he has everywhere else because he subscribes to the same crap offensive philosophy Garrett does. Lotsa stats, few wins.

Carp

DCC 4Life
You should have just put that we could only draft a tackle in this scenario...would have saved some time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You should have just put that we could only draft a tackle in this scenario...would have saved some time.
I'd be perfectly fine with a guard, but I just do not see any that knock my socks off.

In fact, Martin might even be a good left guard initially.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree on Martin and Lewan, but I think Martin rises like Johnson did last year. Lewan has a nasty streak I like...eve Kounihisname from Ala.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol You can't dedicate the 1st round solely to guards, o-tackles, d-tackles, and d-ends.

First round's about talent first and foremost, unless you are re-architecting a team (i.e. shifting to WCO, 4-3, 3-4, etc.). Even then, re-architecting can get in your way and make you pick the Spears and Burnetts of the world just to fit your system.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lewan has a nasty streak I like..
That he does. He thought Michigan State bullied his QB the year before and this is what he responded with this year:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol You can't dedicate the 1st round solely to guards, o-tackles, d-tackles, and d-ends.

First round's about talent first and foremost, unless you are re-architecting a team (i.e. shifting to WCO, 4-3, 3-4, etc.). Even then, re-architecting can get in your way and make you pick the Spears and Burnetts of the world just to fit your system.
So you would be willing take Ebron in the first round. Noted.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So you would be willing take Ebron in the first round. Noted.
If the scouts evaluated him as a special talent and the coaches felt Escobar had no future, yeah. He seems awfully full of himself, though.

That he does. He thought Michigan State bullied his QB the year before and this is what he responded with this year:

If the Cowboys draft him, he might kick the shit out of Golden Tate next time they play the Seahawks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the scouts evaluated him as a special talent and the coaches felt Escobar had no future, yeah. He seems awfully full of himself, though.
I think Escobar has no future, but I sure as shit would not draft another TE at this stage. I don't care if the scouts said he's the black Gronkowski, which I know he isn't.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with OT, OG and QB. There isn't a RB that warrants that high of a pick, obviously I don't want a TE in the first no matter who it is and WR is a bit of a toss up, if Watkins somehow fell you couldn't pass that kind of talent up but all in all I think we're fine enough there that we don't need to take a guy in the first.

Top Bottom