Sturm: 2014 Cowboys Draft Weekly Notebook - Episode 5 - Safeties

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roy wasn't a fat ass coming out of college either. And, for some reason, Joyner never tackles low, which could lead to injury issues if he continues it in the NFL. I would probably take him in the second as well, but don't really want him at 16.
Williams was pushing fat ass even in college. His first year in Dallas he was chunk-style. After two years, Parcells was labeling him "Biscuit". Add in his devastated ego after Destiny's Beeotch fucked him up, it was over.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Whenever we needed a play, Joyner was there and made it. Absolutely outstanding blitzer off the edge in addition to an splendeferous DB

But, even I think he's too small to go in the first.

He's almost Tyrann Mathieu 2.0, but a better athlete and not as high off his ass

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whenever we needed a play, Joyner was there and made it. Absolutely outstanding blitzer off the edge in addition to an splendeferous DB

But, even I think he's too small to go in the first.

He's almost Tyrann Mathieu 2.0, but a better athlete and not as high off his ass
But he sucks, Bob. Just look at the video against Clemson. Didn't do much to impress and stuff.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Joyner is not even a consideration at 16, if we trade down into the late 20's/early 30's I'd consider him there, and with our 2nd of course.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Our defense has played better with great safeties and average corners than vice-versa. With Woody back there, we got away with a lot of fairly average corners (Sanders being the blatantly obvious exception). Not sure why this has never occurred to Jerry...well he is dumb...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joyner is not even a consideration at 16, if we trade down into the late 20's/early 30's I'd consider him there, and with our 2nd of course.
Clinton-Dix and Pryor are really the only safeties to consider at 16 and I hope Dallas at least considers and looks into both heavily. Joyner should go more in the area that Bob Sanders went which is in the early second round range.

Also I think Iamtdg just doesn't want a safety and didn't even watch the clips.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, sorry. Not impressive. Hell, half those plays he was not even involved in.
I didn't realize it wasn't a highlight reel, peckerface. Hell, he was circled before every play like it was. I know it's a draftbreakdown vid but for them the highlight him before every play makes it seem like you should be watching his play. So, maybe I have more of a problem with the video compilation.

Cotton

Staff member
Clinton-Dix and Pryor are really the only safeties to consider at 16 and I hope Dallas at least considers and looks into both heavily. Joyner should go more in the area that Bob Sanders went which is in the early second round range.

Also I think Iamtdg just doesn't want a safety and didn't even watch the clips.
I didn't watch all of them, but I watched some. He's going to have to improve his tackling to move up to the next level and be successful, IMO. The shoulder tackling doesn't work in the NFL consistently. He is going to have to work on his wrapping up and get lower to use his stature to his advantage. If he tries to tackle a Brandon Jacobs type with that up high shoulder technique, he is going to get trucked and probably hurt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't watch all of them, but I watched some. He's going to have to improve his tackling to move up to the next level and be successful, IMO. The shoulder tackling doesn't work in the NFL consistently. He is going to have to work on his wrapping up and get lower to use his stature to his advantage. If he tries to tackle a Brandon Jacobs type with that up high shoulder technique, he is going to get trucked and probably hurt.
Brandon Jacobs will be gone next year, just so you know.

All I am looking at is if this kid is going to give me four good years.

Hell, that is all most players are worth now anyways since you can't even have them for a full offseason program.

The new CBA plus free agency basically made this like college. Teams have to re-invent themselves by the time a young player is entering their prime.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't realize it wasn't a highlight reel, peckerface. Hell, he was circled before every play like it was. I know it's a draftbreakdown vid but for them the highlight him before every play makes it seem like you should be watching his play. So, maybe I have more of a problem with the video compilation.
No, you just don't know how to study "the film".

~nose in the air~

Cotton

Staff member
Brandon Jacobs will be gone next year, just so you know.

All I am looking at is if this kid is going to give me four good years.

Hell, that is all most players are worth now anyways since you can't even have them for a full offseason program.

The new CBA plus free agency basically made this like college. Teams have to re-invent themselves by the time a young player is entering their prime.
Yeah, because Jacobs will be the last back of that nature. The end of an era. The Last of the Mohicans. Point still stands.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, because Jacobs will be the last back of that nature. The end of an era. The Last of the Mohicans. Point still stands.
If you look at the prototype these days, yeah, he's a fucking dinosaur.

Cotton

Staff member
There are still plenty of bruisers to come. Point still stands, motherf'er!

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I disagree. He was a pretty unique talent. Really big, fast, and great balance. If his clone entered the NFL he would tear it up for a few years as well. Then he would get injured just like Jacobs did because he's such a big target. Still, great career for a 4th rounder. Really should be a 1-2 back with a missum back alternating.

Top Bottom