Robin Williams dead at 63

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I liked him up until about 10 years ago. It got to a point where he was trying too hard to be funny so he ended up being more annoying than funny.

It's a damn shame to hear this news, though. He was definitely a comedic legend.

R.I.P.
Not many people can keep their funny for decades. It's not an easy thing. People change and don't have the same things that made them funny.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not many people can keep their funny for decades. It's not an easy thing. People change and don't have the same things that made them funny.
Williams never stopped trying. Yeah, he got a little over the top and annoying at times, but you could tell he still had that goal in mind.

Compare him to Eddie Murphy, who basically sold out and honestly stopped trying.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Comedy is tragedy after all. Sometimes too much is wasted needlessly.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
He made some very cool movies towards the end...Insomnia, One Hour Photo, The Final Cut, World's Greatest Dad...all very good.

dallen

Senior Tech
I would hate it more if it were auto-erotic.

He had a movie called World's Greatest Dad where he is a father who profited off his teenage son that did that.
Great movie, btw. A little eerie now.

Robin Williams was an all-timer. This news really shook me up yesterday

Carp

DCC 4Life
Fisher King was an odd, good movie too.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Patch Adams and Mrs. Doubtfire are all-timers for me. I admired his ability to just talk, just ramble about nothing and make it hilarious. Very sporadic, random shit that you just wonder...where the hell does he come up with it?

Carp

DCC 4Life
See...I did not like those two movies. Seemed like money grabs for him. I liked the darker side of him. As an aside...he was under serious consideration to be the Joker in Batman '89.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I haven't watched any of his movies other than those two from the last couple decades so can't speak on them.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Speaking of money grabs, he's got 4 movies coming out by the end of the year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Good Morning Vietnam, The Best of Times, and Mrs. Doubtfire are some alltimer movies for me.

I saw him perform in Iraq. He was supposed to be on stage for 30 minutes, but stayed for almost an hour and a half in 120+ degree heat. Soldiers would throw him bottles of water up on the stage, and he'd pour some over his head, then spray what was left out over the crowd. Pissed the higher command off that had taken the front rows and they moved. Once they did, RW called for the rope to be taken down and to let the lower enlisted come right up to the edge of the stage. He put on a great show.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Good morning vietnam and his old stand up albums were among the best comedy material ever. I'm glad people are remembering how good he was, seems like everything I heard about him the last couple of years was negative.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) — Sheriff's officials say Robin Williams' personal assistant found him with a belt around his neck at his San Francisco Bay Area home.

Marin County Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd also said Tuesday that superficial cuts were found on Williams' wrist and a pocket knife was found nearby.

Toxicology results on whether Williams had any drugs or alcohol in his system are weeks away.

Sheriff's officials said Monday a preliminary investigation determined the cause of death was suicide due to asphyxia. Williams was 63 and had suffered for years from periodic bouts of substance abuse and depression.

Williams' press representative Mara Buxbaum said the actor had been battling severe depression recently. Just last month, Williams announced he was returning to a 12-step treatment program.
Coroner's officials say he was last seen alive at home around 10 p.m. Sunday.

data

Forbes #1
Recently we talked about Jim carrey's career. Would robin Williams be the most important/influential entertainer ever?

He did some great tv guest starring roles with law and order, homicide life on the street as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As long as we are putting in our favorites by Williams, I liked "What Dreams May Come" very well. It has been a while since I saw it. It was one of his earlier attempts at serious roles.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Recently we talked about Jim carrey's career. Would robin Williams be the most important/influential entertainer ever?

He did some great tv guest starring roles with law and order, homicide life on the street as well.
Good question...with the way comedy is so fractured right now it is rare for a comedian to be so big. Podcasts and whatnot have splintered fans, while during Williams hey day they were more universally loved. People like him and Billy Crystal blew it up. Eddie Murphy certainly has to be considered as well.

Bill Murray, with his humor and dramatic roles is also a giant.

Top Bottom