Broaddus: 12 Thoughts from the radio booth

Carp

DCC 4Life
SAN DIEGO – I’ll have more in-depth analysis when I’ve had a chance to watch the game tape. For now, here’s a dozen quick impressions from the Cowboys’ preseason loss to San Diego – as seen from the radio booth at Qualcomm Stadium.

•The battle between Joseph Randle and Ryan Williams at running back will go down to the final blitz pickup. They both run the ball tough and catch it well, but who can stand in there and keep rushers off Tony Romo is going to get that spot.

•If you don't play with your hands and shed blocks at the point of attack, you are going to have a bad defense -- I don't care how much talent you think you have. The Chargers did a much better job of coming off the ball and sustaining their blocks. The Cowboys front seven had no answer for that.

•I would not want to be hit by Ahmad Dixon.

•Was not surprised by the way Brandon Weeden played, but I was surprised by how much mobility he showed to get to the outside and deliver that ball to James Hanna. I was always positive that he was going to get rid of the ball out of bounds, but he did a nice job of keeping his eyes down the field to make the throw.

•Without watching the tape, I like what I saw from Mackenzy Bernadeau at center. He appeared to play on his feet, and when he had to make a reach or a cutoff block, he did a nice job of securing those blocks. He wasn't slow or sluggish at all.

•Don't give up on Terrance Mitchell. The kid played the whole game and at times was technique poor, but Jerome Henderson and Joe Baker will continue to work with him. This was a great learning experience for him.

•Really nice hit by Justin Durant on the goal line to knock the ball loose from Ryan Mathews. I haven't given him nearly enough credit for his play making ability, but he continues to keep showing up in practices and now games.

•Was disappointed that I didn't see more in production from Chris Boyd. Thought he had a chance to come down with that 3rd down pass late in the game from Dustin Vaughan. It appeared that he misjudged it in flight.

•I believe that if the league passed this 33-yard extra point rule I would be a fan. Each time it was attempted, I paid closer attention to the kick.

•I will be interested, when I study the tape from this game, if Kenneth Boatright did a better job than Martez Wilson at defensive end?

•If I worked in this front office, I would lobby to not play Dustin Vaughan in any more snaps. I think this kid showed great poise hanging in the pocket and I am not interested in letting anyone study his film and take him from me.

•I wish that everyone could do a Cowboys game on radio with Brad Sham.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
•If I worked in this front office, I would lobby to not play Dustin Vaughan in any more snaps. I think this kid showed great poise hanging in the pocket and I am not interested in letting anyone study his film and take him from me.
Oh, for Christ's sake. The kid needs the reps and game time to show if he's even good enough to deserve a practice squad spot. A few snaps against future minimum wage workers showed enough for him to be covertly hidden already? If he shows up decent, and we lose him to a waiver claim, oh well. The odds are stacked heavily against him for even becoming a decent backup. We will somehow survive if the great youtube QB is somehow stolen from us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess you are forgetting about how we lost Tanney last year.

GSM, Broaddus

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess you are forgetting about how we lost Tanney last year.

GSM, Broaddus
I liked what I saw of Vaughn. He is ahead of Hanie by a wide margin.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, for Christ's sake. The kid needs the reps and game time to show if he's even good enough to deserve a practice squad spot. A few snaps against future minimum wage workers showed enough for him to be covertly hidden already? If he shows up decent, and we lose him to a waiver claim, oh well. The odds are stacked heavily against him for even becoming a decent backup. We will somehow survive if the great youtube QB is somehow stolen from us.
Why not just keep him on the roster... There is nothing wrong with keeping 3 QBs. Sure as hell beats keeping 2 kickers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why not just keep him on the roster... There is nothing wrong with keeping 3 QBs. Sure as hell beats keeping 2 kickers.
I wouldn't be against that. If he shows he deserves to be kept. He looked classically decent the other night. I'd consider moving him past that scrub Hanie right now, and letting him play the entire 2nd half. Maybe even a series in the first half. Give him every opportunity to make the roster.

But I'd hate to hang on to him on the 53 just because we're afraid we MIGHT not get him to the PS. Especially if that means we have to let somebody go that might be able to help that trainwreck we call a defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I'd hate to hang on to him on the 53 just because we're afraid we MIGHT not get him to the PS. Especially if that means we have to let somebody go that might be able to help that trainwreck we call a defense.
This idea though that it is somehow a bad thing if he shines during the preseason is ridiculous to me. If he shines then awesome, he is worth a roster spot. If he is good enough that another team wants to pick him up then he is good enough to not risk trying to get on the practice squad. The point of preseason is to get these young guys exposure and see what they can do.

Top Bottom