Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

Carl

RIP Brother
Another east coast place gets a pass for being hard. You had one person at large, and yet you shut a city down. No one in no one out. How does this prove anything except 10 people can shut down the whole of the US.

Carl

RIP Brother
Who won? The FBI get a nudge in their budget. The Boston PD get to show off their new toys; the networks love the headlines and viewers. The only people that lose are the victims who have lost legs or worse family members; and they are already for the most part already forgotten.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Erik Rush, a Fox News contributor, tweeted, "Let's kill them all," referring to Muslims.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Another east coast place gets a pass for being hard. You had one person at large, and yet you shut a city down. No one in no one out. How does this prove anything except 10 people can shut down the whole of the US.
Why you son of a...

USA!!! USA!!!! USA!!!

:art

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm trying to figure out what Carl's complaint is...you shut down the city because there are possible other bombs set up in and around the city. Not only that, but the brother they did catch had explosives on his body, so it would figure the brother at large would have that too...so he is basically a moving bomb. Seemed very reasonable.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I'm trying to figure out what Carl's complaint is...you shut down the city because there are possible other bombs set up in and around the city. Not only that, but the brother they did catch had explosives on his body, so it would figure the brother at large would have that too...so he is basically a moving bomb. Seemed very reasonable.
Whatever. You are mindlessly chanting USA.

Police state!

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Is it a complaint? Looks like more of a straight up observation to me. Yes, the feds/police did a good job in quickly identifying and apprehending the suspects. No question about that. But the fact is this shows exactly how easy it is to bring a major metropolitan area in this country to a grinding halt. It doesn't appear right now as though these guys were highly trained in tactical terrorism. Just a couple of radical young guys who decided to do something horrible and look at the result. People told not to leave their houses, businesses shut down, events cancelled, etc. Maybe these were reasonable measures to take but that in and of itself is pretty alarming. Have to assume other radicals are going to take note and try to accomplish the same thing in other cities.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Whatever. You are mindlessly chanting USA.

Police state!
Huh? I know you love to take every opportunity to try and mock anyone who is concerned that this country is moving towards a police state but it seemed awkward and out of place here. You're trying too hard.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Considering how hard core the police were going door to door and trying to clear the area as if they were Seal Team Six it's a good job by them that they didn't kill a family who didn't immediately surrender. That's how 90s Federal Law Enforcement used to roll. During the Clinton Administration the FBI and ATF were all shoot first and ask questions later and that reputation pretty much still haunts them nearly a decade later.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Huh? I know you love to take every opportunity to try and mock anyone who is concerned that this country is moving towards a police state but it seemed awkward and out of place here. You're trying too hard.
And your mocking USA chant was a profound analysis?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Let's not act like the city shut down immediately after the bombing. It wasn't until these two ambushed a police officer, tossed bombs out of a speeding car, were found to be wearing explosives, and had a stockpile of bombs and weapons discovered that police locked things down and went door-to-door.

I would say that it was justified, but would be interested in hearing alternatives from the counter-terrorism experts here.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yes, profound analysis. That's what it was.

I'm not in this thread to scream "police state!". I did find some of the footage of people in the streets chanting USA! USA! USA! to be kind of pathetic but whatever.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Yes, profound analysis. That's what it was.

I'm not in this thread to scream "police state!". I did find some of the footage of people in the streets chanting USA! USA! USA! to be kind of pathetic but whatever.
Cool. But we mock each other here. Not everything has to be a thoughtful dissection of the issues.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Let's not act like the city shut down immediately after the bombing. It wasn't until these two ambushed a police officer, tossed bombs out of a speeding car, were found to be wearing explosives, and had a stockpile of bombs and weapons discovered that police locked things down and went door-to-door.

I would say that it was justified, but would be interested in hearing alternatives from the counter-terrorism experts here.
Personally I'm not saying that is wasn't justified and I'm not claiming to be a counter-terrorism expert. Just pointing out that there is some truth to Carl's observation on how apparently easy it is for a couple of young, possibly independent/relatively untrained radicals/terrorists to shut down a major American city.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Is it a complaint? Looks like more of a straight up observation to me. Yes, the feds/police did a good job in quickly identifying and apprehending the suspects. No question about that. But the fact is this shows exactly how easy it is to bring a major metropolitan area in this country to a grinding halt. It doesn't appear right now as though these guys were highly trained in tactical terrorism. Just a couple of radical young guys who decided to do something horrible and look at the result. People told not to leave their houses, businesses shut down, events cancelled, etc. Maybe these were reasonable measures to take but that in and of itself is pretty alarming. Have to assume other radicals are going to take note and try to accomplish the same thing in other cities.
What? The part where he sayds the big city cops get a pass is pretty much a complaint. Sometimes shit is going to happen and the general populace is going to have to have their lives altered a bit for their own safety. Hell, Clay is already chiming in that he is surprised no one got killed during these searches. It didn't happen, but lets create imaginary scenarios where we can complain.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will not be treated as an enemy combatant says White House spokesman.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I feel bad for those two brown guys that were TEH SUSPECTS at first.

Carp

DCC 4Life
In the wake of the revelations about the violent nature of accused marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, investigators in the Boston suburbs tell ABC News they are probing whether he may have been involved in an unsolved grisly triple homicide of a former roommate and two others. The murders took place around the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

"We are looking at a possible connection with the suspect in the marathon atrocity and this active and open homicide in Waltham,'' Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex County District Attorney, confirmed to ABC News.

Tsarnaev, the alleged bombing mastermind who died in a fierce gun battle with police early Friday morning, had been training with one of the 2011 murder victims in an attempt to transition from boxing into a possible career in the brutal sport of mixed-martial arts.

The victims were found in a Waltham, Massachusetts apartment. They had their throat slashed, their heads nearly decapitated. Their mutilated bodies were left covered with marijuana.

It was a gruesome scene – but also perplexing to law enforcement. While drugs appeared to factor into the motive, the murderer left both the marijuana and thousands of dollars in cash behind in the Waltham apartment. While the investigation has been active for more than a year, authorities acknowledged they have had few leads.

Two law enforcement sources told ABC News that may now change, with the bomb attack prompting a fresh look into Tsarnaev's alleged penchant for violence.

Even before the bombing, police records show, there was an indication of a rage growing inside of Tsarnaev. Court documents obtained by ABC News show in July 2009 he was arrested for domestic violence after his then-girlfriend made a frantic 911 to report she was "being beat up by her boyfriend." The police report, which was redacted to hide the girlfriend's name, says that Tsarnaev admitted to responding officers that he slapped her. The case was later dismissed.

Tsarnaev had also been close to one of the murder victims, 25-year-old Brendan Mess, investigators told ABC. The two had been training together in a local gym –each helping the other with a missing element from their fighting arsenal. Tsarnaev, a golden-gloves heavy weight boxer, lacked martial arts training. And Mess, an experienced jiu jitsu competitor, lacked boxing experience.

The two sparred together at an Allston, MA gym called Wai Kru. The gym's head trainer, John Allan, provided a statement to the Boston Globe via Facebook message saying that Tamerlan "came into the gym to spar from time to time."

Tsarnaev and Mess lived just a few blocks apart in Cambridge, in the same predominantly Russian neighborhood. Authorities believe there were times Mess crashed at Tsarnaev's apartment.

It was unclear if Tsarnaev knew the other men slain, Raphael Teken, 37, and Eric Weissman, 31.

A Waltham investigator who called the murders "the worst bloodbath I have ever seen in a long law enforcement career" said Tsarnaev has now proven he had the propensity for the type of violence that unfolded two years ago.

"There was no forced entry, it was clear that the victims had let the killer in. And their throats were slashed right out of an al Qaeda training video. The drugs and money on the bodies was very strange," the investigator said.

One of Mess' relatives yesterday told investigators they thought it was odd that Tsarnaev did not attend the funerals for his slain friend. The Mess relative also described animosity between the two friends "over Brendan's lifestyle,'' two law enforcement sources said. Because it is an open homicide investigation the sources were not authorized to speak on the record.

"Given how religious the older brother was, and we have heard information from the college about how the younger brother was 'a pot head' is there a chance that Tsarnaev was angry that Brendan was selling his brother marijuana? We don't know,'' said one of those sources. "But we are certainly interested in finding out."

Tsarnaev and Mess had been socializing together in the months before the murder, according to a Massachusetts correction officer who met up with a group of fighters that included Tsarnaev and Mess at a June 2011 Mixed Martial Arts event run by Burlington Brawl, a Vermont-based fighting outfit. Tsarnaev impressed the group with his golden gloves status, but largely kept to himself during the evening.

"We were all drinking beers, but not that guy. He was drinking water,'' the correction officer said.

Freelance writer Michele McPhee is a Boston-based reporter and frequent contributor to ABC News.

Top Bottom