Archer: Jimmy Graham deal Dez Bryant's baseline?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jimmy Graham deal Dez Bryant's baseline?

July, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jimmy Graham was unable to declare himself a wide receiver in an arbitration case, but the New Orleans Saints tight end did fairly well with his reported four-year, $40 million deal that includes $21 million guaranteed.

As the Dallas Cowboys and Dez Bryant look for ways to come to an agreement on a long-term deal so they can avoid any franchise-tag hassle next offseason, can Graham’s deal be something of a barometer for Bryant?

Graham argued he was a receiver because he lined up mostly off the line. It was an argument that was eventually denied by an arbiter, but there is some truth to what he was saying. Graham is not a tight end in the way Jason Witten is a tight end. But that is his position. Bryant will never be asked to put his hand on the ground to block somebody the way Graham is asked to do at least part of the time for the Saints.

But I digress. Let’s just look at the statistical comparisons of Bryant and Graham. Both players were selected in the 2010 draft. Bryant was a first-round pick, so he has an extra year on his rookie deal. Graham was a third-round pick.

In the past three seasons their numbers are fairly similar.

Bryant: 248 catches, 3,543 yards, 34 touchdowns.
Graham: 270 catches, 3,507 yards, 36 touchdowns.

Any discussions between the Cowboys and Bryant’s agent, Eugene Parker, have been kept under wraps for the most part. Most of the figures thrown around have been by the media. There are seven wide receivers with an average annual value of at least $10 million:Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe and Vincent Jackson.

Marshall, Johnson, Fitzgerald, Wallace, Bowe and Jackson have at least $20 million in guaranteed money in their deals, as does Andre Johnson, who is threatening a holdout from the Houston Texans' training camp.

Graham’s contract puts him in line with receivers if not with the top-paid guys like Johnson ($16.2 million), Fitzgerald ($16.1 million). Harvin ($12.9 million) and Wallace ($12 million) who cashed in during free agency. Bowe averages $11.2 million. The Washington Redskinssigned DeSean Jackson to a three-year, $24 million deal that included $16 million guaranteed in the offseason.

So where does Bryant fit in? Should he get Graham’s $10 million average or play out the season and possibly get tagged (that was $12.3 million in 2014)?

There is some middle ground in which both sides can compromise, but Graham's deal could help define just where that ground is, even if he is a tight end (wink, wink).

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That sounds about right. 40 million, 21 guaranteed @ 10 million per year...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be happy if we got him for Graham's deal, especially if he has a monster season.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dez's deal will probably be somewhere between this and what Calvin got, I don't expect Dez to get a deal worth over 100 million in total or 60 million in guarantees.

If I had to guess he'll get something around 80-90 million with around 40 guaranteed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez's deal will probably be somewhere between this and what Calvin got, I don't expect Dez to get a deal worth over 100 million in total or 60 million in guarantees.

If I had to guess he'll get something around 80-90 million with around 40 guaranteed.
A lot will also depend on the length of the contract. I don't expect Dez to get a 4 year deal.

Top Bottom