Watkins: Fixing personnel is key to Dallas' success

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guy like Sherman goes to Seattle and becomes an elite corner. Had he gone to Dallas he'd be called for holding every other play, lose his confidence, and get injured trying to compensate for his inadequate front seven and the piss poor safety playing next to him.

Seattle is young, fast, confident, coached by a man with passion, and owned by the best in the game. Dallas is old, slow, gutless, coached by a robot, and owned by the biggest meddler in the game.

What possible chance do we have? It's all on Romo. Again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Legit question... would we rather Kony Ealy?
I think Donald has a much bigger impact in this defense. Not to say I don't like Ealy. I do, I think he can be a consistent 10 sack a year DE. Something similar to what a healthy Spencer gives you. Donald on the other hand I think can be a 10 sack a year DT which is far more valuable in this defense. Pressure up the gut causes way worse problems for an offense then pressure coming off the edge. Pressure up the middle gets to a QB faster and unlike pressure off the edge, pressure up the middle leaves no where for the QB to step up and deliver the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those guys most likely won't be there (though I pass on Clinton-Dix).
Clinton-Dix is a stud that we desperately need in this defense. I know he is a DB so he is automatically shit in your mind but our safety situation last year costs us multiple games.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't pass up on a Sutton or Easley in the 2nd even if we took Donald in the 1st. I'd also be 100% fine with Ealy at our pick, Clinton-Dix would be a little tougher to accept but I'd be ok with it as long as went heavy on the DL afterwards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easley in the 2nd even if we took Donald in the 1st.
They are such similarly built players I wouldn't be ok with this. I don't think you can make it in this defense with two 6'1" 285 lb DTs. The other problem I have with Easley is the injuries. He has torn his ACL in college twice now and is coming off missing most of the season. The last thing I want to do it take another injury prone defensive player in the second round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wouldn't pass up on a Sutton or Easley in the 2nd even if we took Donald in the 1st. I'd also be 100% fine with Ealy at our pick, Clinton-Dix would be a little tougher to accept but I'd be ok with it as long as went heavy on the DL afterwards.
Please. That is not Jerry's style to carpet bomb a position unless it is CB.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I go Donald over Ealy without hesitation...DT is going to be such a suck hole if Hatcher is not brought back. At least we have Selvie and Ware at DE.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I do want to keep an eye on Mack and Barr though...I could see one falling to us and LB is another weak spot now. If we got one of them and put him with Lee and Holloman, I'd feel alright.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I go Donald over Ealy without hesitation...DT is going to be such a suck hole if Hatcher is not brought back. At least we have Selvie and Ware at DE.
Don't forget Crawford, always Crawford.

And as for Mack and Barr, I'd take either of them at 16/17 almost regardless of who else is on the board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do want to keep an eye on Mack and Barr though...I could see one falling to us and LB is another weak spot now. If we got one of them and put him with Lee and Holloman, I'd feel alright.
They are both studs. I just hope their talents wouldn't be wasted here in Dallas. Both guys are elite blitzers with 10+ sacks this past year a piece. They are guys that I'd have rushing the passer in my nickle and dime defense.

My fear is that in Dallas they would just be used as a standard 4-3 cover 2 LBer. You didn't see the Bears under Marinelli use any of his OLBers in this manner and we didn't see Kiffin do it with the Bucs. It isn't exactly rocket science but if you're not going to use these guys heavily to get after the QB I think it would be a mistake of a draft pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They are both studs. I just hope their talents wouldn't be wasted here in Dallas. Both guys are elite blitzers with 10+ sacks this past year a piece. They are guys that I'd have rushing the passer in my nickle and dime defense.

My fear is that in Dallas they would just be used as a standard 4-3 cover 2 LBer. You didn't see the Bears under Marinelli use any of his OLBers in this manner and we didn't see Kiffin do it with the Bucs. It isn't exactly rocket science but if you're not going to use these guys heavily to get after the QB I think it would be a mistake of a draft pick.
Seattle plays Irvin in a similar role and supposedly we want to run something similar to their defense. You'd be retarded to use a guy like that as a traditional 4-3 OLB, you use him like Denver uses Miller, strongside LB in base situations that you can blitz and in nickel/dime you put him at DE with his hand down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seattle plays Irvin in a similar role and supposedly we want to run something similar to their defense. You'd be retarded to use a guy like that as a traditional 4-3 OLB, you use him like Denver uses Miller, strongside LB in base situations that you can blitz and in nickel/dime you put him at DE with his hand down.
I hope we do run something very similar to them. What we did last year was not very similar to Seattle. We should have our corners up pressing on very play knocking WR's off their routes. Of course part of the problem with that is we don't have the safeties on the back end to help our corners out deep. I just worry about our staffs ability to adapt their system to the talent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree. DT is probably our biggest need. safety is probably 2nd.

That said, if there is a stud DE/pass rusher sitting there it would be hard to pass up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. DT is probably our biggest need. safety is probably 2nd.

That said, if there is a stud DE/pass rusher sitting there it would be hard to pass up.
Needs on this team in my opinion look something like this:

1. DT
2. Safety
3. DE
4. LBer
5. O-line
6. QB

I think the top 2 are obvious. I think 4 and 5 are pretty interchangeable. The sixth one is a legitimate need but we will totally ignore it. After that we could use another WR (Austin hopefully being gone) or backup RB. Maybe even another corner for depth.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Clinton-Dix is a stud that we desperately need in this defense. I know he is a DB so he is automatically shit in your mind but our safety situation last year costs us multiple games.
I'd be ok with a safety but not over a stud DL.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Which Safety?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, Smitty prefers Dix over a stud.

So noted.

Top Bottom