Sabin: In Rod we trust? Cowboys believe 'guru' Marinelli can spark defensive revival

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In Rod we trust? Cowboys believe 'guru' Marinelli can spark defensive revival

By RAINER SABIN

Staff Writer

rsabin@dallasnews.com

Published: 12 July 2014 01:59 PM

Updated: 12 July 2014 01:59 PM

IRVING — The beatific expression on Rod Marinelli’s face rarely fades as he hobbles around with a slight hunch in his back. Throw a robe and biretta on him and he could easily be mistaken as a member of the clergy. Inside the walls of the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch headquarters, where a football cult resides, he’s revered like one.

Management believes in the newly appointed defensive coordinator. His players, many of whom are at least 40 years younger and more than 100 pounds heavier, liken him to a preacher, a guru or even a cartoon character celebrated for his wisdom.

“He’s Master Splinter,” defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford said, referring to the rat sensei of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fame. “Definitely.”

As the Cowboys head to California for training camp later this month, Marinelli will begin the process of resurrecting a Cowboys defense that was among the worst the NFL has ever seen. It was, without question, the most wretched last season, finishing last in the league rankings and setting records of futility.

Before the world was introduced to the 2013 Cowboys, no one ever had seen four quarterbacks throw for at least 400 yards against one franchise during a single season. No one had never witnessed a team accumulate 40 first downs in a game, as New Orleans did against Dallas last November.

The disastrous outcomes that trailed the Cowboys like a dark cloud had the appeal of stock car crashes. It was impossible to look away when the defense crumpled into the football version of twisted metal.

Recently reminded that the Cowboys’ defense was awful, Marinelli responded, “We were.”

Marinelli can say that with confidence. After all, he saw the recurring horror show up close. Last season, he served exclusively as the defensive line coach and the right-hand man for Monte Kiffin, the coordinator the Cowboys hired in 2013 to install the 4-3, Tampa 2 system that shackled offenses around the league more than a decade ago. The appointment of Kiffin seemed a strange one.

At 73, he was past his prime coaching years. He also had been out of the NFL since 2008 and had bombed at the college level, where he followed his son, Lane, from Tennessee to USC.

With the Cowboys, Kiffin was given the unenviable task of restructuring a defense that had established 3-4 roots since 2005. It proved a Sisyphean challenge as injuries depleted the ranks and some starters had trouble adjusting to the zone-based principles of the scheme.

Soon after the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs with an 8-8 record, Kiffin was pinpointed as the fall guy. He was demoted in January and handed an ambiguous title of assistant head coach/defense while his friend, Marinelli, was left to deal with the wreckage.

It became an awkward arrangement for both men. In the 10 years they coached in Tampa Bay, where they won a Super Bowl together, Kiffin had always been positioned higher than Marinelli on the organizational flow chart, just as he was in 2013 with the Cowboys.

“I’m not down one bit. I’m really not,” Kiffin said. “But Rod is their guy.”

That is undeniable. Yet the Cowboys’ unwavering faith in Marinelli is also suspicious considering he is the only man to have coached an NFL team to an 0-16 record. The winless season, which he endured in Detroit six years ago, is enough to raise doubts about 65-year-old Marinelli and his ability to work miracles.

Marinelli calls the experience in Detroit the most challenging of a coaching career that has spanned 41 years. The 2013 season with the Cowboys, as disastrous as it was from a defensive standpoint, pales in comparison.

“When I was there, I was trying to get the culture the way I wanted it, the way I believed in,” Marinelli said. “And that was hard. I think here the culture is set.”

But that hasn’t stopped Marinelli from sharing his core values with evangelical fervor. The former Marine tunnel rat and Vietnam veteran routinely peddles his beliefs about the game he coaches. The subjects of his homilies in the team meeting rooms include the importance of honing the fundamentals and giving maximum effort, of realizing the fullest potential and developing good habits. Rote repetition is celebrated. Focusing on the details is applauded. Mastering one skill is valued more than being decent at a bunch of different things.

“Football is like a religion to him,” defensive end Anthony Spencer said. “You can tell in the way he talks about it. He is like a preacher. He believes in it so much. He believes that if you do the right things on the football field you also become a good person off it.”

Yes, it’s true. Marinelli considers coaching football a higher calling. To him, there is more to it than X’s and O’s, blitz packages, coverages, gap assignments and the jargon the game has spawned. This is a sport that mirrors life, according to Marinelli.

“I believe in everything about it,” he said. “I believe it really helps men. You help people this way. To come out and see men compete for jobs and try to help them be what they want to be, it’s something that is so important. That ability to compete every second of every day — I don’t know if you can ever live without that.”

It’s that hunger — that nagging desire to “prove” something — that Marinelli said will help the Cowboys defense climb out of the gutter.

Then again, owner Jerry Jones explained, “Because we were so bad last year, there is no place [to go] but up.”

But if Marinelli sparks a defensive revival in Dallas, it won’t be because of some wild scheme he concocted. Rather, it will be the result of hard work, good, old-fashioned teaching and progress made within a system he and Kiffin have promulgated. Marinelli, according to Spencer, is a man who practices what he preaches. In Chicago, where he was promoted from defensive line coach to coordinator in 2010, the Bears improved from 17th to ninth in total yards allowed and increased the number of takeaways.

“It’s about how you do things. And it’s hard. And it’s tough, man. And it’s demanding,” Marinelli explained. “But every day is fun. I have to look at a calendar and see how many bad days I’ve had. It’s not many. Winning and losing tear you up. But you’re resilient and you bounce back the next day.”

By placing their faith in their football cleric, the Cowboys hope their defense will respond similarly, rebound and make true believers out of everyone. In Rod they trust.

IN THE KNOW

Rod Marinelli

Title: Defensive coordinator

Family: Wife Barbara, two daughters, four grandchildren.

Notable: Marinelli was born in Rosemead, Calif., and attended Rosemead High School. ... He played offensive tackle at Utah and California Lutheran. ... His collegiate career was interupted by a tour of duty in Vietnam.

Pro coaching experience: Tampa Bay, 1996-2005, defensive line and assistant head coach/defensive line; Detroit, 2006-08, head coach; Chicago, 2009-12, assistant head coach/defensive line and assistant head coach/defensive coordinator; Cowboys, 2013, defensive line

Key dates for Cowboys training camp

July 22: Report to Oxnard, Calif., for training camp

July 24: First full-team practice

Aug. 3: Blue/White Scrimmage

Aug. 15: Break camp

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because Marinelli had nothing to do with the historically bad defense last year...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because Marinelli had nothing to do with the historically bad defense last year...
He gets the free pass because of the injuries etc.

Honestly, if you go back and watch the games, yes, the DL probably did as good as could be expected considering who was around. There were games were crap like Everette Brown got pressure and made plays.

But Marinelli was complicit in signing off on entering the season with absolutely zero additions to the DL.

Now he's got his extra bodies, let's see.

But the defensive woes were not on the DL exclusively. The LBers and DBs sucked too, partially due to scheme and coaching. What has changed there? Wait, nothing.

About the only way I can get "excited" about Marinelli is if there indeed was going to be some fundamental changes to the lame ass Tampa 2, which we still don't have the personnel to run effectively. If all the promises of running a D with Seattle flavor like last year came true, I might think differently.

I don't think we see anything noticeable.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am under the impression that marinelli was basically co-defensive coordinator last year.

I agree the dline did about as well as could be expected. But at the same time, I think he jad at least a hand in the overall defense.

I am one that thinks that coaching can make a huge difference. But that said, Marinelli's supposed hocus pocus didn't make much difference last year. Yet he's made out to be a savior. Umm, wasn't he here and part of that debacle last year?

jeebs

Brand New Member
How does Dallas routinely promote from within the organization yet think they ca pass it off as some dramatic change that will revolutionize the franchise? I mean they are the same people!! Every time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am under the impression that marinelli was basically co-defensive coordinator last year.

I agree the dline did about as well as could be expected. But at the same time, I think he jad at least a hand in the overall defense.

I am one that thinks that coaching can make a huge difference. But that said, Marinelli's supposed hocus pocus didn't make much difference last year. Yet he's made out to be a savior. Umm, wasn't he here and part of that debacle last year?
No way man. Old Man Kiffin was a despot who ruled that defense with an iron fist and stifled all of the kick ass ideas Marinelli had.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Pretty much spot on. This new-found genius is a mirage created by the team to try to energize the fanbase, and nothing more. There were no improvements the coaching staff from last year to this. It was nothing but a shuffle of the same crap we had, with a few new toys to play with.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He gets the free pass because of the injuries etc.

Honestly, if you go back and watch the games, yes, the DL probably did as good as could be expected considering who was around. There were games were crap like Everette Brown got pressure and made plays.

But Marinelli was complicit in signing off on entering the season with absolutely zero additions to the DL.

Now he's got his extra bodies, let's see.

But the defensive woes were not on the DL exclusively. The LBers and DBs sucked too, partially due to scheme and coaching. What has changed there? Wait, nothing.

About the only way I can get "excited" about Marinelli is if there indeed was going to be some fundamental changes to the lame ass Tampa 2, which we still don't have the personnel to run effectively. If all the promises of running a D with Seattle flavor like last year came true, I might think differently.

I don't think we see anything noticeable.
If Marinelli can get pressure by committee out of a deep line rotation and plays man-under-cover-2 instead of calling zone coverages that our players won't be able to execute, the defense could climb into the mid-late teens in ranking, I think.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As I have said before. The only direction the defense can go is up. The bottom is the Bottom and at least there is the hope that there will be more familiarity with the system.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As I have said before. The only direction the defense can go is up. The bottom is the Bottom and at least there is the hope that there will be more familiarity with the system.
Oh, we could always go sideways and be last again.

jeebs

Brand New Member
You don't know the bottom until you hit it and start moving up. Is there anything that gives you the impression we are moving up?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Only thing is. If it only goes up to say, 17th, will that be good enough to make a big difference.

I guess the answer to that is "depends", if we climb into the mid teens in everything that's not likely good enough unless Linehan sees the light and protects a mediocre d with the running game (unlikely).

If we're 17th in yardage and scoring but we get into the top 5 in turnovers, that will translate into wins as long as the offense continues to take care of the ball.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Well actually we weren't last in points given up or takeaways so we could be worse

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You don't know the bottom until you hit it and start moving up. Is there anything that gives you the impression we are moving up?
The only way the D is better is if some teams underestimate them.

The talent is poor and if they decide to attack, most decent teams can have their way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only real hope I have for our defense is that Melton regains his Pro Bowl form and that if we develop some depth on the DL we could do a decent job getting pressure. The play-callers/offense has to do their part by running the ball and keeping the defense off the field, if they do that, and we develop depth on the DL, we could be decent.

Realistically, we're probably going to have a bottom 10 defense again.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think we're going to have to play small on the DL and rotate. If McClain, Melton and Crawford can rotate and be plus pass rushers in the middle and Selvie, Mincey and Lawrence can rotate at DE with a couple of extras in the form of whomever else makes the cut in camp, we don't need a big bag of fertilizer like Hayden to take up snaps based on being a little better against the run but adding zero against the pass.

We probably need about 40 sacks from this defense for it to be any good. Even though man under cover 2 basically deemphasizes our safeties as much as they possibly can be, they still suck and their ability to provide deep help to allow more aggressive corner play will be limited. We'll probably be looking for safety help on the street before the end of camp. If we can't get pressure to force a throw before coverage breaks down we could be in for a lot of long days.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we're going to have to play small on the DL and rotate.
Agreed. I think that is their best chance. Waves and waves of fresh guys and hope their can wear out an OL just by being physical as opposed to good.

If we have any of the four guys we have as starters playing entire games, we are doing it wrong. They need to rotate in a lot and the subpackages need to be very specialized. Thing is, I have never seen a Tampa 2 operate this way successfully. That system works best with the studs at the four key positions. We don't even have one of them (1-Technique, ROLB, MLB, RDE).

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Agreed. I think that is their best chance. Waves and waves of fresh guys and hope their can wear out an OL just by being physical as opposed to good.

If we have any of the four guys we have as starters playing entire games, we are doing it wrong. They need to rotate in a lot and the subpackages need to be very specialized. Thing is, I have never seen a Tampa 2 operate this way successfully. That system works best with the studs at the four key positions. We don't even have one of them (1-Technique, ROLB, MLB, RDE).
I disagree the the 1-Tech is more of a key than the 3-Tech. I think Sapp was a little more important to that D than Booger McFarland. Otherwise I agree.

It's really going to have to be more like a Jimmy Johnson defense than a classic Tampa D. Just get the fastest, freshest guys you can out there and hope they go get the football.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No one to rush the passer. No dominant DL like successful Tampa-2 D's have used....no good safetys, and mediocre CB's.

Oh yes...we'll be better defensively.

:dunce

Top Bottom