Gosselin: Keeping Monte Kiffin, Bill Callahan a bad move for Cowboys

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gosselin: Keeping Monte Kiffin, Bill Callahan a bad move for Cowboys

Tom Fox/Staff Photographer

Columnist Rick Gosselin answered questions in a chat Tuesday. Here are some highlights.

Question: Bringing back Callahan and Monte? Good move or bad move?
Rick Gosselin: When you haven't made the playoffs for four years and you're stuck at 8-8 on that treadmill of mediocrity, status quo is never good. Bad move. Changes needed to be made to give the fan base hope. This team has big cap problems and an aging roster. The three faces of the franchise -- Romo, Witten and Ware -- are all in their 30s on big contracts. Something big needed to happen this offseason but it didn't.

Question: No specific mention of Garrett's input on Jerry's decision to keep the coaching staff. I remember the day Garrett was announced as coach years back, we were all hoping for a strong coach with backbone to stand up to Jerry. Silly us.
Rick Gosselin: Money talks louder than Garrett. Bill Callahan is a former Super Bowl head coach. Monte Kiffin is a former Super Bowl defensive coordinator. Rod Marinelli is another former head coach and arguably the best DL coach in the NFL. Rich Bisaccia is among a handful of the best special teams coaches in the NFL. They didn't come to Dallas cheaply on one-year contracts. It would have cost Jones a pretty penny to buy them out. Now it appears they all have one more year.

Question: Would you want Richard Sherman on the Cowboys?
Rick Gosselin: Would I want a Pro Bowl cornerback on this defense? Yes. Talent is what matters. Dez Bryant, Randy Moss, LaGarrette Blount all have baggage. All in their primes would be welcome on this roster. If Richard Sherman showed up at Valley Ranch, he'd be welcomes with open arms.

Question: I don't know that we could do better than the RHG, but what do you foresee if we go 6-10, 7-9? Thanks.
Rick Gosselin: If the Cowboys go 6-10 or 7-9, I think Jerry empties the pool. As long as the Cowboys are hovering around .500 and competing for division titles on the final day of the season, Jerry can live with his coaches. When they stop competing, they stop coaching here.

Question: NFL players will take Richard Sherman, including his interviews, any day of the week, correct? Some seem shocked, but fans and players want talent that tries not well-spoken average players.
Rick Gosselin: You are correct, sir. Players get paid for what they do on the field. Few play corner the caliber of Sherman on Sundays.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hovering around .500 isn't considered competing in my mind.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get what he is saying but unless he was canning Garrett...nobody would beat down the doors to coach on Dallas for one year.

Right in general principle...just not realistic.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Yeah, i dont think its that crazy to keep them. If we get another 8-8 year (or likely worse) you just clean house next year and let your new HC pick his staff. No one (good) is going to roll the dice on a one year Cowboys job this year

Carp

DCC 4Life
I get what he is saying but unless he was canning Garrett...nobody would beat down the doors to coach on Dallas for one year.

Right in general principle...just not realistic.
Norv would have...he seems like a Nomad...and he can develop Garrapolo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The crazy/dumb part isn't keeping Kiffen and Calahan, it's keeping any of them. They all should have gotten dumped, starting with Garrett.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
The trouble with dumping any of the coaches is the fact that their replacements are going to be hired by the same guy who thought they were the perfect candidates for the job in the first place. It's self-perpetuating mediocrity on a scale matched and surpassed only by Cleveland.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The trouble with dumping any of the coaches is the fact that their replacements are going to be hired by the same guy who thought they were the perfect candidates for the job in the first place. It's self-perpetuating mediocrity on a scale matched and surpassed only by Cleveland.
Great owner.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
There's something to be said for continuity.

Or was that mediocrity? I don't remember anymore.

p1_

DCC 4Life

In the context of this franchise, those terms are fairly synonymous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The funny thing is continuity can be a really good thing. However in Dallas the term is just used as an excuse to do nothing. I want my players to have a chance to learn a system for more then just one year so continuity in a coaching staff is something you usually want. Continuity on your O-line is a good thing. Players play better when they know what the guy next to them is going to do.

The problem is if your coaches just suck or your O-line talent is just bad, continuity will never make up for that.

Top Bottom