Archer: Cowboys take linebacker in Todd McShay mock draft

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys take linebacker in Todd McShay mock draft

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – At 4-9, the Dallas Cowboys hold out hope for a playoff spot even if it would mostly require the rest of the division to fall apart with three games to go, which is possible. Yet it would also require the Cowboys to win their final three games, and how probable is that?

In all honesty, the Cowboys are staring at a top-five pick in next spring’s draft and a lot of fans are already yearning for draft information to start the process on being better in 2016.

Well, ESPN Insider Todd McShay is here to help with his first mock draft.

The Cowboys are projected to have the sixth pick in the draft and McShay has them taking Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith.

Before those screaming for a quarterback go crazy, Paxton Lynch and Jared Goff were off the board by the time the Cowboys picked.

I’m not going to spout off reasons why Smith is or isn’t a good pick at No. 6. He’s a really good player from the Notre Dame games I’ve seen on television, but at this point my focus has been covering this season and not yet worrying about the college players. I’ll always defer to McShay and others when it comes to those sorts of things.

What I will say about taking an outside linebacker at No. 6 overall is this: Meh.

Unless the Cowboys move Sean Lee to middle linebacker next year if they choose not to re-sign Rolando McClain (or if he chooses to leave via free agency), then I don’t see weakside linebacker as a great need.

Oops, there I go, mentioning need when it comes to the draft. I realize that’s a no-no for many people and you’re not supposed to do that. Well, sorry, I don’t know how you don’t factor need into the equation. It has to be a factor. With the sixth pick of the draft, I want a guy who will play every down from the first day of rookie minicamp.

Now, if the Cowboys want to move Lee inside and have Smith play the weakside, OK. If he’s viewed as a strongside linebacker, then I’m definitely not taking him at No. 6. The Sam linebacker doesn’t play enough to warrant that high of a pick. That’s a two-down player. Nope, not doing it.

The Cowboys have plenty of needs (oops, there’s that word again) and linebacker is one. They can go defensive line, cornerback, wide receiver, quarterback and running back, too.

The value of a position has to play a part when you’re picking that high. Smith might end up being the sixth-best player in the draft. He might be a Cowboy, too.

But knowing what little I know right now, I’d rather go in a different direction.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith is arguably the closest thing to being an every down player for us from the jump, shows how clueless Archer and most of these media guys are when it comes to knowing talent. These media guys are basically one big echo chamber, usually parroting the same ideas and stories because they aren't capable of actually analyzing the sport with any nuance or creativity.

At any rate, part of me is hoping we can win another game and end up picking around 8 or 9 (where we likely end up with a Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack) just so I don't lose my shit when we take Jalen Ramsey over a QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith is arguably the closest thing to being an every down player for us from the jump, shows how clueless Archer and most of these media guys are when it comes to knowing talent. These media guys are basically one big echo chamber, usually parroting the same ideas and stories because they aren't capable of actually analyzing the sport with any nuance or creativity.

At any rate, part of me is hoping we can win another game and end up picking around 8 or 9 (where we likely end up with a Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack) just so I don't lose my shit when we take Jalen Ramsey over a QB.
Yeah, taking a pure 4-3 OLBer that high in the draft should basically never happen. It may be a safe pick but it's not likely to be a franchise changing piece either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
49ers are tanking with Goff in mind. Dallas must take the best non-QB, non-CB left. Front seven or WR is fine by me.

dallen

Senior Tech
1. Tennessee Titans

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Even with the Titans' apparent needs on offense, it would be hard for them to pass on the best player in the draft. Bosa is scheme-versatile, with experience playing defensive end on both sides and moving inside to defensive tackle on obvious passing downs. And with 51.0 tackles for loss in 40 career games, he has the production you look for in a top pick.

2. Cleveland Browns

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers*

Lynch has been an extremely efficient passer for the Tigers this season (69.0 completion rate, 28 TDs vs. 3 INTs) -- and he showed up in a big way against Memphis' best opponent (Ole Miss). He has not yet declared for the draft -- and I still have a lot of work to do on him in terms of analyzing his work ethic, leadership skills, mental makeup and durability history -- but Lynch has the physical skills to develop into a good starting NFL QB, which Cleveland needs.

3. San Diego Chargers

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels*

When healthy and staying out of trouble, Nkemdiche is a force along the defensive front. Just flip on the tape from Ole Miss' upset win over Alabama. Nkemdiche practically lived in the backfield against the Tide, racking up 2.5 tackles for loss. His combination of size (6-foot-4, 296 pounds) and quickness is tough for offensive linemen to handle.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State Seminoles*

Ramsey can do it all in the secondary: match up in the slot, play center field and stuff the run. It's no surprise, then, that he's a terrific athlete, winning the ACC long-jump title as part of Florida State's track and field team earlier this year. One of the most complete players in this class, Ramsey would be a welcome addition to a Ravens secondary that has struggled the past few seasons.

5. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

This is assuming the 49ers move on from Colin Kaepernick in the offseason. I think Goff would benefit from returning to school for his senior season to get bigger and stronger, but I get the sense that's not going to happen. He got into some bad habits with his mechanics behind an O-line that did not protect well, but when his feet are right, he can be deadly accurate. With a high football IQ and great work ethic, I have faith he will put in the time to get better.

6. Dallas Cowboys

Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

I won't be surprised if the Cowboys spend an early-round pick in 2016 on a QB to be Tony Romo's heir apparent. But with Lynch and Goff gone, Smith would be a good way for Dallas to bolster its front seven. He shows excellent range against the run and in coverage, and is a far more disruptive pass-rusher than his 4.5 career sacks would lead you to believe.

---------------------

That's who McShay has going through our pick. I can copy the rest if anyone is interested. Personally, I think I'd try to trade down a few spots with someone who needs a OT and if I can't get a good deal I take Treadwell

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, taking a pure 4-3 OLBer that high in the draft should basically never happen. It may be a safe pick but it's not likely to be a franchise changing piece either.
While I generally agree, Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis say hi, and the Panthers defense is basically built on Kuechly and Thomas Davis, two top 15 picks.

The organization has done a good job of scouting LB's in their recent history. Lee is an elite talent, if an injured one, and they supposedly loved Navorro Bowman and Bobby Wagner, two of the best LB's in the league. If they have a top 10 grade on Smith or Jack and want to take him in the back end of the top 10 of a relatively weak draft, I wouldn't complain, assuming both QB's are gone of course.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I generally agree, Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis say hi, and the Panthers defense is basically built on Kuechly and Thomas Davis, two top 15 picks.

The organization has done a good job of scouting LB's in their recent history. Lee is an elite talent, if an injured one, and they supposedly loved Navorro Bowman and Bobby Wagner, two of the best LB's in the league. If they have a top 10 grade on Smith or Jack and want to take him in the back end of the top 10 of a relatively weak draft, I wouldn't complain, assuming both QB's are gone of course.
I get that the Panthers are the flavor this year. Kuechley is an excellent player but also a MLBer. He was also kind of a very rare special talent. Willis is also a middle lber.

Davis on the other hand? I wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick ever. That's the point on Smith. This is an outside LBer who doesn't rush the passer. Just a waste with a top 10 pick. By the way the Panthers defense is great in large part due to having an elite corner and 2 stud young DTs. I'll give you Kuechley but Davis has been a pretty average LBer in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get that the Panthers are the flavor this year. Kuechley is an excellent player but also a MLBer. He was also kind of a very rare special talent. Willis is also a middle lber.

Davis on the other hand? I wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick ever. That's the point on Smith. This is an outside LBer who doesn't rush the passer. Just a waste with a top 10 pick. By the way the Panthers defense is great in large part due to having an elite corner and 2 stud young DTs. I'll give you Kuechley but Davis has been a pretty average LBer in the NFL.
So would you say an elite MLB would be worth a high 1st then? Because I think Smith could pretty easily play MLB for us, I would actually expect him to start out there as opposed to WLB.

He isn't a pass rusher like a 3-4 OLB or undersized DE of course, but if you consider what Kuechly does rushing the passer, as a blitzer, then I think Smith could do that.

My only concern with Smith is that he can be a bit soft taking on OL's at the POA from time to time and I question his instincts in pass coverage, he certainly has the athleticism to play coverage. They're relatively minor complaints because he definitely shows the ability to take on OL and holds up well in coverage for the most part.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's who McShay has going through our pick. I can copy the rest if anyone is interested. Personally, I think I'd try to trade down a few spots with someone who needs a OT and if I can't get a good deal I take Treadwell
Treadwell is going to steadily climb boards IMO. If we want him, we might already be in the right spot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So would you say an elite MLB would be worth a high 1st then? Because I think Smith could pretty easily play MLB for us, I would actually expect him to start out there as opposed to WLB.
I guess this is my problem with that. I have no problem taking an outside lber and moving him from day one to the middle spot. I don't think it's that hard of a transition to make. But do I use a top 10 pick on a guy who is changing positions? Just seems a bit ridiculous to me. By the way, the reason I like Kuechly so much is mostly due to what he does in coverage. That's where I think he substantiates his value as a top pick. If I'm using a top 10 pick on a LBer he better have elite instincts and coverage ability.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I guess this is my problem with that. I have no problem taking an outside lber and moving him from day one to the middle spot. I don't think it's that hard of a transition to make. But do I use a top 10 pick on a guy who is changing positions? Just seems a bit ridiculous to me. By the way, the reason I like Kuechly so much is mostly due to what he does in coverage. That's where I think he substantiates his value as a top pick. If I'm using a top 10 pick on a LBer he better have elite instincts and coverage ability.
MLB is not a foreign position to Smith, Notre Dame moves him around quite a bit, they even have him put his hand down and rush off the edge from time to time, and they have definitely played him at MLB at times throughout the year. Plus, we all know 4-3 LB spots are somewhat interchangeable, at least for the elite talents. A guy like Kuechly, Wagner, Bowman, they can play any 4-3 LB spot just fine, to me Smith could definitely be a guy like that.

The real curious case to me is Myles Jack, I liked him more than Smith coming into the season so I'm really disappointed that he got injured and there isn't much game action to watch of him this year. His stats aren't eye-popping, mainly because I think they had him in coverage so often (and at RB, but that's another story), but I've seen this guy line up basically as a slot CB at times, fluidly flip his hips and mirror a WR/TE 15-20 yards downfield, something I've almost never seen from a LB before. He's violent at the POA and is an explosive tackler, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy ran a sub-4.5 at the combine honestly. He's so good in coverage I think he could maybe even play a Kam Chancellor type of role where he is a safety but almost always in the box, I wouldn't do that with him personally but I think he could if he had to.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Well that's highly disappointing if Goff is gone by our pick but I wouldn't expect him to last for us and part of the frustration that comes with winning the Skins game.

At that selection I'd strongly consider looking into options to trade down especially since it seems as if we've given away quite a few of our draft picks bringing in players who were likely going to be cut anyways.

I had thought that Michaels had potential but it didn't appear that he had too much of an opportunity to show if he had anything. It's highly frustrating that given the lack of work load that he had that they would have cut him earlier prior to us being on the hook for the pick.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Under the circumstances Smith is probably BPA and I think he's the closest to being a sure thing in the top 10 after Bosa. In the top 10 you ideally want a franchise QB, pass rusher or LT. No way we'll go OL this high with the OL we have, the only pass rusher is Bosa and he'll go top 3 if not 1st. Even if Lynch or Goff are available, it'd be a tough call because they are bigger question marks.

The way it's stacked in the top 10, it's QB, LB, CB. CB would have to be the next Deion, Revis or Sherman. I don't think Ramsey or Hargreaves are that, and even if we thought they were I wouldn't trust it since we felt Mo was the best CB since Deion. Next on our list would be RB or WR, but our spot will be too high for Treadway or Elliot. So if it's not a QB my favorite would be Smith.

One thing to note about this mock is Nkemdiche. I've seen several reports that teams weren't as high on him as many in the media, and that was before his problems last week, falling a story and being caught if weed. I doubt he'll go in the top 5.

dallen

Senior Tech
Under the circumstances Smith is probably BPA and I think he's the closest to being a sure thing in the top 10 after Bosa. In the top 10 you ideally want a franchise QB, pass rusher or LT. No way we'll go OL this high with the OL we have, the only pass rusher is Bosa and he'll go top 3 if not 1st. Even if Lynch or Goff are available, it'd be a tough call because they are bigger question marks.

The way it's stacked in the top 10, it's QB, LB, CB. CB would have to be the next Deion, Revis or Sherman. I don't think Ramsey or Hargreaves are that, and even if we thought they were I wouldn't trust it since we felt Mo was the best CB since Deion. Next on our list would be RB or WR, but our spot will be too high for Treadway or Elliot. So if it's not a QB my favorite would be Smith.

One thing to note about this mock is Nkemdiche. I've seen several reports that teams weren't as high on him as many in the media, and that was before his problems last week, falling a story and being caught if weed. I doubt he'll go in the top 5.
On another site somebody posted McShay's mock from the same time last year and it had Randy Gregory going #4 overall. I think it is too early to say Bosa definitely won't be available when we pick

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
On another site somebody posted McShay's mock from the same time last year and it had Randy Gregory going #4 overall. I think it is too early to say Bosa definitely won't be available when we pick
We need Gregory to slip him some weed around combine time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If a guy like Bosa becomes available you forget need. He'll earn a spot somewhere. After all, Gregory, Lawrence, and the Crawfords have hardly been world-beaters and we don't know if Hardy will even be here long term.

You might be able to build a team around a guy like Bosa. He has the potential to change the whole dynamic up front.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Unfortunately we don't really have a need at DE. Its DT where we could really use someone.
It depends on if Hardy is back. I do agree DT is a bigger need. But for some reason we don't really value the quality DT's. All of this 1-technique / 3-technique BS. You never heard that in the old days. 4-3 teams used 2 DT's. 3-4 teams went with NG's. Those old Cowboy teams valued DT's: Randy White, Jethro Pugh, John Dutton. Even Jimmy's Cowboys had Leon Lett, Russell Maryland, Chad Hennings, Tony Casillas.... But now, we get Crawford, Nick Hayden, David Irving. None of the top prospects are ever able to fit into our scheme. Odd.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bosa reminds me of Hardy in some ways so if we let him go that'd be a good way to replace him. Hardy shouldn't have too much of a market though so if we want him back we shouldn't have to break the bank or anything.

Top Bottom