Mendez: Garrett says health has kept Murray, Cowboys' newest Pro Bowl player

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett says health has kept Murray, Cowboys' newest Pro Bowl player, from putting up numbers like in 2013

DeMarco Murray became a 1,000-yard rusher and a Pro Bowl player this season, and coach Jason Garrett said it might have happened before now if not for injuries.

“If he had stayed healthy in other years, he probably would have had similar numbers and similar production,” Garrett said Tuesday at the Senior Bowl. “So it was a big thing that for the most part, he stayed healthy and had production both as a runner and also as a receiver. He’s a darn good football player.”

Murray missed two games this year because of a knee injury. He has missed 11 games in his first three seasons because of injuries.

“I’m troubled, but not to the extent that I want to do anything about it,” owner Jerry Jones said on Monday of Murray’s injury history. He cited the potential of 2013 draft pick Joseph Randle and 2012 undrafted free agent Lance Dunbar.

Murray is the fifth player to make the Pro Bowl for the Cowboys this year. Left tackle Tyron Smith and receiver Dez Bryant made it in the voting, and Murray, defensive tackle Jason Hatcher and tight end Jason Witten made it as alternates.

“Hatch was as impactful a football player as we had, certainly on the defensive side of the ball, this year,” Garrett said. “Really emerged into a leader. Very, very productive player. Anybody who watched us play saw that he just showed up, he jumped up off the tape. So, really happy for those guys.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with your playcalling, could it?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with your playcalling, could it?
It was the most productive season of his career, and had we actually run the ball as much as we should have, he'd probably have another 150-200 yards and 2-3 TD's more to add to his stats for the year.

Murray still doesn't have the best vision in the open field, but I like him. He's tough, you can see he wants to win, and the guy has plenty of talent to be a solid back in this league.

I wish we had an OC that actually used him properly.

data

Forbes #1
Health kept us from winning the Super Bowl three-peat style. Darn those injuries.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bullshit. Garrett's pathological aversion to the run is what held Murray back just as much as the injuries. The way he was running and how the OL was blocking at the end of the season, there was no excuse for how Garrett called football games.

If I were Murray, I'd be pretty fricking offended at Garrett's comments.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

data

Forbes #1
97 yards on 11 carries in the Green Bay 1 st half.

Responding to why only 7 rushes thereafter, garrett said that it was obvious the cowboys needed to score more points in the 2nd half, so they passed more.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Geez. If only rushing the ball could help you score points...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Bullshit. Garrett's pathological aversion to the run is what held Murray back just as much as the injuries. The way he was running and how the OL was blocking at the end of the season, there was no excuse for how Garrett called football games.

If I were Murray, I'd be pretty fricking offended at Garrett's comments.

Yep.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Backs are going to get hurt. Look at Peterson.

Hey were are Garrett's passive aggressive comments about overpaid Miles Austin?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FWIW, we ran the ball fewer times this year than the previous two years, yet Murray had his best numbers.

Not excusing anything, just saying, it's probably technically correct to say that, if Murray had stayed healthy the previous two years -- years where we actually had more runs -- he would have put up similar numbers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Backs are going to get hurt. Look at Peterson.

Hey were are Garrett's passive aggressive comments about overpaid Miles Austin?
Jiggy?

:tippytoe

Top Bottom