Mike Pope Hired As TE Coach

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per the Twitter.

A bit surprised he would take it but solid coach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And Pablo takes his first step towards the HOF.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only guy I see reporting this is Ralph Vacchiano...the Giants writer.

Weird because he is usually plugged in.

Err...wait...I mean I hope my source is not joking with me again.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is he the guy that was with the Giants for like 25 years? Through all the coaching changes and front office changes, they kept this one coach? Seems odd. And I'm not sure why all of a sudden they don't want him any more, unless the new OC wants to move on. But why after all this time did this not happen before? Maybe I am missing something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys name Mike Pope TEs coach

January, 22, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have hired Mike Pope to be the tight ends coach, replacing Wes Phillips.

Pope spent the past 14 seasons as the New York Giants' tight ends coach. He worked with former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells with the Giants and New England Patriots, and has spent time with the Washington Redskins and Cincinnati Bengals.

Phillips left last week to become the Washington Redskins' tight ends coach after coaching tight ends for just one season.

Pope is considered one of the best tight ends coaches in the NFL, and has developed players like Pro Bowlers Mark Bavaro, Ben Coates, Stephen Alexander, Rodney Holman and Jeremy Shockey.

He inherits Jason Witten, who is playing in his ninth Pro Bowl, Gavin Escobar, a second-round pick in 2013, and James Hanna.

Head coach Jason Garrett was a player for the Giants in Pope's second run with the team. Pope has been an assistant coach for 31 years.

“Mike Pope has been one of the great coaches in this league for a long time,” Garrett said. “I had the good fortune of being around him for four years, and his influence on me has been significant. He is an outstanding person and a welcome addition to our staff.“

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is he the guy that was with the Giants for like 25 years? Through all the coaching changes and front office changes, they kept this one coach? Seems odd. And I'm not sure why all of a sudden they don't want him any more, unless the new OC wants to move on. But why after all this time did this not happen before? Maybe I am missing something.
Pope was there under Parcells and Fassell and was retained when Coughlin came aboard.

Chances are good they wanted a clean break on the offense when they forced Gilbride out. The new guy McAdoo wanted his guy, probably someone from Green Bay's staff.

I am not sweating it. He's very decorated and how possibly could he be any worse than John "Huff Puff Martellus" Garrett and fricking snotnose Wes Phillips? I mean, really?

All he has to do is coach like one guy anyways.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's a solid hire, even if it's just for one year. Of course Jerry may force him on the next HC so you never know.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is an excellent coaching hire. Of course I'm not sure how much legitimate impact a TE coach will have in Dallas anyway.

Top Bottom