JJT: Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then what accounted for his success here with the same line. Murray was an exceptional runner and I don't think that can be successfully disputed.
He was successful here. Behind a great run blocking line. He has been terrible behind a terrible run blocking line in Philly. So the evidence supports the Oline being the cause for his success as much as anything.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I couldn't disagree more.

Two major things changed from last season: our running game and defensive turnovers. I put major blame on those two things for this failed season.

It's not that the ypc was slightly down this year, but that it was very inconsistent this year. Teams therefore didn't respect our running game. Which means it was harder to throw and we increased the burden on Romo. And oh look, he got hurt.
Romo played what 1.5 games before he got hurt and then another 1.5 before he got hurt again?

Blaming that on the running game is total speculation.

The running game has been inconsistent but somewhat productive despite not having Romo or Dez for most of the season, with a healthy Romo and Dez the running game has been productive enough to win games, not as productive as last year but productive enough. Probably not productive enough to make a deep playoff run, which is why relying on Randle and McFadden was such a big mistake, but it isn't the reason that we are 4-9, the reason for that is Romo's injury and the lack of a back-up or the ability to adjust without Romo.

I'm saying the running game is worse, and not good enough to win it all because of what we have at RB, but still good enough to make the playoffs considering the rest of the team, the article is saying that it has been the downfall of our season, that is the difference.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was successful here. Behind a great run blocking line. He has been terrible behind a terrible run blocking line in Philly. So the evidence supports the Oline being the cause for his success as much as anything.
So you conclude Murray was just a so so RB?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Just consider the epic fail of our 3rd and 1 performance as
evidence of run game futility, run game decline.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I couldn't disagree more.

Two major things changed from last season: our running game and defensive turnovers. I put major blame on those two things for this failed season.

It's not that the ypc was slightly down this year, but that it was very inconsistent this year. Teams therefore didn't respect our running game. Which means it was harder to throw and we increased the burden on Romo. And oh look, he got hurt.
None of that is correct, teams have loaded up against the run and have not respected the passing game.

This time last year the running game was also very inconsistent and Romo burden was raised yet he did not get hurt, over the last 4 games we were averaging around 3.3 yards a carry going into the Washington game.

This idea that we just ran roughshod over everybody last year is wrong after the Thanksgiving game we were just as inconsistent, the difference was we had a competant passing game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
None of that is correct, teams have loaded up against the run and have not respected the passing game.

This time last year the running game was also very inconsistent and Romo burden was raised yet he did not get hurt, over the last 4 games we were averaging around 3.3 yards a carry going into the Washington game.

This idea that we just ran roughshod over everybody last year is wrong after the Thanksgiving game we were just as inconsistent, the difference was we had a competant passing game.
You're looking at it wrong. Whether we were effective in any particular game, teams had to respect it. It's not just about loading the box, it's about defenders keeping an eye in the backfield, and biting on play action, and spending time game planning, and so on.

We didn't have a respectable running game to start the year and it was a big deal. We may actually have one now but without Romo it doesn't matter anymore.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're looking at it wrong. Whether we were effective in any particular game, teams had to respect it. It's not just about loading the box, it's about defenders keeping an eye in the backfield, and biting on play action, and spending time game planning, and so on.

We didn't have a respectable running game to start the year and it was a big deal. We may actually have one now but without Romo it doesn't matter anymore.
And do you think if Romo was around that the running game wouldn't have developed to the point that it has for some reason?

Perhaps we would've struggled for a while but if Romo was healthy all year I think our running game would've been fine once we figured out Randle was a toad. We would've easily won the division and perhaps won a game or two in the playoffs.

So like I said, what we did at RB is not what torpedoed our season, I don't think it is good enough to win it all but it is not the reason we are 4-9.

townsend

Banned
Scheme still seems like the biggest problem. Garrett/Linehan's offense is like a finely tuned watch that can be ruined by a grain of sand, the Pats at like a war ship that can keep fighting with half of its engine room on fire.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How do you invest so heavily in the OL, all but declare yourself a run-first team, and then skimp on the actual RB position?

The Cowboys signed McFadden knowing his age and injury history and lost their gamble when his hamstring put him behind the 8-ball early on.

The Joseph Randle thing was a joke from the start.

What made this even worse was how loaded the draft was at the position. I was pissed when the Ravens got Buck Allen just before we picked in the 4th round, but it kept happening every round.

You need to ensure you have strong RB talent, and that means drafting high and then low two-three years later.

They don't understand this. The Cowboys need to be in the running for best RB in the league every year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
How do you invest so heavily in the OL, all but declare yourself a run-first team, and then skimp on the actual RB position?

The Cowboys signed McFadden knowing his age and injury history and lost their gamble when his hamstring put him behind the 8-ball early on.

What made this even worse was how loaded the draft was at the position. I was pissed when the Ravens got Buck Allen just before we picked in the 4th round, but it kept happening every round.

You need to ensure you have strong RB talent, and that means drafting high and then low two-three years later.

They don't understand this. The Cowboys need to be in the running for best RB in the league every year.
:lol

Yeah...amazing how Jones and Co crowed about the OL, how great they were, how they wanted to impose their will on everyone by running the ball....yet, they allow Randal to be the feature back, and pick McFadden off the heap and think...ALL...IS...WELLLLL...ALL IS WELLL...DO NOT PANIC...ALL IS WELLLL

McFadden hasn't been terrible, but after all that time and effort to build up your OL, to not take a RB in the draft is fucking retarded.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Let's not let the "great" OL off the hook either. They've been horrid in short yardage.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Seems they don't like to draft QB's either. Maybe it's me, but that just seems fucktarded.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Seems they don't like to draft QB's either. Maybe it's me, but that just seems fucktarded.
It's OK if your changeover is imminent, but when they both signed Romo long term and restructured him twice, they also made it very hard to draft/develop a QB. "Developmental QBs" are kind of a myth today, anyways.

You draft one in the 1st or 2nd round and don't look back. Even 2nd rounders should play right away unless there's a Hall of Famer ahead of them.

IMO it's perfect to draft a 2nd rounder with the intent to start him 17 months later.

Top Bottom