Mendez: Jones glad he spent No. 1 picks on OL but isn't promising he'll do it again

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones glad he spent No. 1 picks on linemen in 2013, 2011, but isn't promising he'll do it again

Jerry Jones has gotten an All-Pro player and an all-rookie team player out of the last two No. 1 picks he invested in the offensive line.

But he said that does not mean he’ll do it again.

“I gladly used those two. I don’t know that I’ve got confidence in using any more,” the Cowboys general manager said Monday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., where the top-rated guard in the draft, Baylor’s Cyril Richardson, is practicing. “This is an either-or proposition, and if you use your resources one place, you don’t have them to go another place.”

Smith, the Cowboys’ first-round pick in 2011, earned second-team All-Pro honors this season. Frederick, taken with the No. 31 pick in 2013, was the center on the Pro Football Writers of America all-rookie team.

They are only the offensive linemen drafted in the first round by the Cowboys since 1981.

“I don’t regret at all using those two No. 1s to get Frederick and Smith and don’t know if the circumstances would present themselves to use another one,” Jones said. “We have used 2s a lot, relatively speaking – not a lot – but 2s on Larry Allen, 2s on Flozell Adams. That’s a pretty high pick.”

-- Carlos Mendez
------------------

The MFer has spent two number ones in three years on OL, but has spent three 2nd round picks on tight ends during the last eight years.

Tell me how that makes sense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas can't afford to keep passing on talent. Barring great need, just take the best player.

If the #5 guy on your board, an OL, falls to 17 would you pass? We know it would take at least a 2nd round pick to move up from 17 to 5-- take the talent value and address needs with the rest of the draft. Take him or trade down with someone else that wants him.

Dallas got lucky in 2013 with their trade down because Williams played bigger than a late 3rd rounder, but they really could have used Floyd. They'd probably have drafted Larry Warford if they had taken Floyd, and you can bet he'd have upgraded the OL just as much as Frederick.

This year, the front seven represents an overwhelming need and I fully expect Dallas to go heavy in the draft up front, but every time they pass on talent they weaken the team for years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They'd probably have drafted Larry Warford if they had taken Floyd,
Warford wasn't even on our board.

You are right though. There are very few positions that we can afford to pass up talent at. I'd probably say TE is the only position I can say there is no way I'd consider in the first round. (Except for FB, Kicker, and Punter obviously)

It would take a pretty special corner or RB for me to want either in the first round but I guess there is still a slim possibility I'd take one.

QB, WR, OL, DL, Safety and LBer should all be game if their is clearly a stud available. Ideally I want a DT or Safety but you can't force the position.

junk

Not So New Member
Dallas (Jerry) always seems to consider the 2nd their throwaway/gamble round.

8-8 teams should be getting starters in 2. Or, at least, significant contributors.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas (Jerry) always seems to consider the 2nd their throwaway/gamble round.

8-8 teams should be getting starters in 2. Or, at least, significant contributors.
I have thought this for years...this is Jerry's play round. This is where he opens it up to the room and whomever can convince him the most gets their guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd strongly consider Zack Martin with our 1st rounder but God knows Jerry wouldn't. He has a habit of thinking that because he spent a high pick or a bunch of money on a guy, that guy should be able to carry an entire unit, aside from CB's of course. In his mind I'm sure he thinks he can ignore the rest of the OL for the next 5 years now that he's drafted Smith (who he will soon give a mega-contract to) and Frederick.

And in a nutshell that is one of Jerry's many fatal flaws, he gets tunnel-vision on the big names and thinks if we have top talent from 1-10 on the roster they should be able to carry the 11-53, so he basically just dicks around when it comes to the rest of the roster when in reality that's where the difference between teams is seen in this parity-driven league.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd strongly consider Zack Martin with our 1st rounder but God knows Jerry wouldn't. He has a habit of thinking that because he spent a high pick or a bunch of money on a guy, that guy should be able to carry an entire unit, aside from CB's of course. In his mind I'm sure he thinks he can ignore the rest of the OL for the next 5 years now that he's drafted Smith (who he will soon give a mega-contract to) and Frederick.

And in a nutshell that is one of Jerry's many fatal flaws, he gets tunnel-vision on the big names and thinks if we have top talent from 1-10 on the roster they should be able to carry the 11-53, so he basically just dicks around when it comes to the rest of the roster when in reality that's where the difference between teams is seen in this parity-driven league.
Jerry: "Oline was a strength, Leary having his knee go out was very unfortunate for us but he should be back next year better than evah ~wink~"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry: "Oline was a strength, Leary having his knee go out was very unfortunate for us but he should be back next year better than evah ~wink~"
That's actually the one thing that prevents me from getting excited about Leary's development. I just feel like that guy could need career ending microfracture surgery at any minute.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leary is a stopgap, but Jerry doesn't think beyond two years so to him he's "solid".

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is truly bizarro world.

Jerry, your first round picks on the offensive line have been very successful!
Eh, not inclined to do that again.

Jerry, your overall management of the team has been a complete disaster for the better part of 17 years!
Your criticism reinforces my intention to keep doing what I have been doing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leary is a stopgap, but Jerry doesn't think beyond two years so to him he's "solid".
Which is sad because he is a 24 year old starting NFL guard who is progressing very nicely. The problem is we all know that knee is going to become a problem likely in the next few years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
“I don’t regret at all using those two No. 1s to get Frederick and Smith and don’t know if the circumstances would present themselves to use another one,” Jones said. “We have used 2s a lot, relatively speaking – not a lot – but 2s on Larry Allen, 2s on Flozell Adams. That’s a pretty high pick.”
Since this guy loves history so much how about he sees that we've wasted a solid 3 2nd rounders on TE's in the last 7 years and starts spending some of those 2nd's on OL?

This guy is just a walking contradiction honestly, he just says whatever comes to his pea-brain that supports whatever idiotic notion he has swirling around in that demented head of his.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Chad Scott CB.....................................
Alan Faneca G......................................
Troy Edwards WR..................................David LaFleur TE
Plaxico Burress WR................................Greg Ellis DE
Casey Hampton NT................................Ebenezer Ekuban DE
Kendall Simmons G.................................Roy Williams S
Troy Polamalu S....................................Terence Newman CB
Ben Roethlisberger QB............................Marcus R. Spears DE
Heath Miller TE.....................................DeMarcus Ware OLB
Santonio Holmes WR..............................Bobby Carpenter OLB
Lawrence Timmons LB............................Anthony Spencer OLB
Rashard Mendenhall RB...........................Felix Jones WR
Evander Hood DE..................................Mike Jenkins CB
Maurkice Pouncey C..............................Dez Bryant WR
Cameron Heyward DT............................Tyron Smith OT
David DeCastro G..................................Morris Claiborne CB
Jarvis Jones LB.....................................Travis Frederick C

DB-2..................................................DB- 4
QB-1..................................................QB- 0
DL- 3.................................................DL- 3
LB- 2.................................................LB- 3
OL- 4................................................OL- 2
TE- 1................................................TE- 1
RB- 1................................................RB- 1
WR- 3...............................................WR- 1

Spread of positions not outrageously different, but Steelers have been more consistent, not traded out of their 1st round picks, avoided drafting for need (except Edwards and Jones), and as a result always got steady value for the pick. Dallas traded up and down all the time, usually reached for need (except in 2005 when they re-architected the defense or grabbed Dez in 2010), and have been hit/or miss as a result.

Dallas was built off the 2003 and 2005 drafts and finding Tony Romo in a garbage bin. Pittsburgh was built by by not busting in the first round and being able to mine tweeners who slipped in the draft before the 3-4 defense became popular.

Both are 8-8, but you get the feeling Pittsburgh will pull out sooner than Dallas, if only because they will draft a QB in the 1st round where they should be drafted and they draft for talent, not need. Thing is that is changing a bit for Pittsburgh as they only last season grabbed Jones out of need. It will be interesting to see if they grab a WR/RB next year out of need as well.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Jerry, your overall management of the team has been a complete disaster for the better part of 17 years!
:lol :lol :lol

So hilariously true.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This post should be bronzed.

Top Bottom