2016 NFL Draft Early Entries

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Baylor WR Corey Coleman confirms he is bound for the 2016 NFL Draft
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
December 5, 2015 4:57 pm ET

Baylor redshirt junior wide receiver Corey Coleman tipped his hand before the game when he ran out with the seniors and confirmed it after the game: He is headed to the NFL.

“Me and Coach Briles and my mom and Coach Kaz, we discussed it and that's what we think the best route is,” Coleman responded when asked if he was going to skip his senior year for the NFL. “That's what we think the best route is.”

Listed at 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds, Coleman is ranked as the No. 3 wide receiver prospect for the 2016 class by NFLDraftScout.com and the No. 25 prospect overall.

Coleman set career-bests this season with 74 catches for 1,363 yards and 20 touchdowns with most of that production coming over the first eight games of the regular season. He recorded only 16 receptions for 185 yards over the last four games and was kept out of the end zone as Baylor's quarterback depth chart was decimated due to injuries.

“I'm thankful for all of Baylor nation for what they've done for me and the Baylor program,” Coleman added. “Every time I think about it, I get really sad because I really like this place.”

As an NFL prospect, Coleman is an exciting playmaker with his ability as a vertical threat and catch-and-go receiver. He has quick hands to pluck the ball away from his body with the coordination and leaping ability to play above the rim, making natural adjustments on the ball. Coleman lacks ideal size and growth potential and will have some focus drops, especially over the middle, but he's an aggressive-minded competitor who needs only one step to accelerate to top speed.

The biggest question mark surrounding Coleman and his next level fit is his transition from Baylor's offense to a more traditional pro-style scheme. He wasn't asked to run a full route tree in college with almost all of his production coming on hitches, in-cuts and go patterns. As explosive as Art Briles' offense has been, it's not known for producing high level wideouts, which gives NFL teams pause.

Coleman will be able to answer a lot of these questions at the NFL Combine and pro day, but there are a lot of skeptics around the league regarding Baylor offensive players in the NFL.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Coleman will be able to answer a lot of these questions at the NFL Combine and pro day, but there are a lot of skeptics around the league regarding Baylor offensive players in the NFL.
The Baylor WRs have performed well at the NFL level. None of them have evolved into elite WRs but they've provided some solid 2nd /3rd WR talent to NFL rosters.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Baylor WRs have performed well at the NFL level. None of them have evolved into elite WRs but they've provided some solid 2nd /3rd WR talent to NFL rosters.
None of them are able to grasp route concepts. It does not help that they play in a super simple scheme. I wouldn't take a Baylor offensive player early at all.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
None of them are able to grasp route concepts. It does not help that they play in a super simple scheme. I wouldn't take a Baylor offensive player early at all.
I'd take a guy like Cannon (draft eligible next year) or Coleman in the 3rd round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Myles Jack, LB UCLA
Leonard Floyd, LB Georiga
Yannick Ngakoue, DE Maryland (Curious to see what he measures at and how he tests but I'm thinking he'd be a real solid 3rd or 4th for us)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Paxton Lynch, QB Memphis
Jared Goff, QB Cal
Cardale Jones, QB Ohio St.
Joey Bosa, DE Ohio St.
Kenny Clark, DT UCLA
Artie Burns, CB Miami
Kendall Fuller, CB Virginia Tech
Ezekiel Elliott, RB Ohio St.
Jordan Howard, RB Indiana
Scooby Wright, LB Arizona
Su'a Cravens, S/LB USC
Vernon Hargreaves, CB Florida
Quinton Jefferson, DT/DE Maryland
Carl Lawson, DE Auburn
Cayleb Jones, WR Arizona
Damontae Kazee, CB San Diego St.
Noah Spence, DE Eastern Kentucky

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paxton Lynch, QB Memphis
Jared Goff, QB Cal
Cardale Jones, QB Ohio St.
Joey Bosa, DE Ohio St.
Kenny Clark, DT UCLA
Artie Burns, CB Miami
Kendall Fuller, CB Virginia Tech
Ezekiel Elliott, RB Ohio St.
Jordan Howard, RB Indiana
Scooby Wright, LB Arizona
Su'a Cravens, S/LB USC
Vernon Hargreaves, CB Florida
Quinton Jefferson, DT/DE Maryland
Carl Lawson, DE Auburn
Cayleb Jones, WR Arizona
Damontae Kazee, CB San Diego St.
Noah Spence, DE Eastern Kentucky
This draft needs as many Juniors as possible.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
OU CB Zack Sanchez has declared.

D

Deuce

OU LB Dominique Alexander
PSU QB Christian Hackenberg

Last edited by a moderator:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Alex Collins is peaking right now. If he declares, he is definitely intriguing.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Alex Collins is peaking right now. If he declares, he is definitely intriguing.
he just might be playing himself into the first round. depends on the combine obviously but I really like what I see

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ohio St LB Darren Lee

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Just to clarify, Prosise has a year of eligibility left but he actually isn't an early entry because he redshirted his freshman year.

ND WR Will Fuller has declared for the draft.

Top Bottom