Archer: What QB tier is Tony Romo on?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What QB tier is Tony Romo on?

July, 2, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When it comes to ranking quarterbacks, the debates can be endless and sometimes pointless, but Mike Sando took the question to people inside the NFL with his latest ESPN Insider piece.

It might surprise some of you that Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romofinished tied for eighth in the tier-rankings of 26 general managers, former GMs, pro personnel people, coordinators, head coaches, position coaches and an executive.

Four players tied for the top spot in Sando’s rankings, using a 1 for the best at the position and a 5 for the worst. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgersand Drew Brees shared the top spot. Andrew Luck was fifth.

Romo checked in after Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger and tied with Russell Wilson andEli Manning in the second tier.

Here’s what Sando wrote and the insiders had to say about Romo:
T-8. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys (2.23 average rating)

A few evaluators questioned whether Romo had the mind-set to play at the highest level consistently. It's a familiar refrain in league circles, a feeling that Romo is an undisciplined QB playing for an undisciplined organization with a poorly constructed roster.

"People want to knock him," one GM responded, "but the guy has talent and is one of the top 10 starters in the league."

Romo is 34 years old and coming off back surgery, but he still could be in line for a "monster" season, one evaluator said. "But I absolutely believe they will not win big with him. As soon as he decides it's a clutch moment, his brain goes elsewhere. He loses focus and tries to create something."​

What’s funny is that the GM and evaluator have the same thoughts of those who love Romo or loathe Romo who are not on the inside. Pete Prisco of CBS Sports went so far as to call Romo “underrated” in his yearly rankings, which drew the ire of some.

The “clutch” talk has been a big thing around Romo since the bobbled snap in 2006 against the Seattle Seahawks in the playoffs. That talk is always followed up with Romo having the best fourth-quarter passer rating in NFL history (102.4) and his 20 come-from-behind wins.

Those numbers aren’t hollow, although with one playoff win to his credit that’s what his detractors will say.

That’s why this debate is a good one. Both sides can declare victory with their points. If Romo were to ever win a Super Bowl -- or perhaps just get to one -- then the perception would change entirely.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who cares? He is what he is, no matter how you slice the "tiers"

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
People need to tap the breaks with Luck. He's done jack shat in the playoffs except beat up on soft competition. The big four>Big Ben>Rivers>Romo in that order, and in every case those other teams have superior coaching and defensive talent.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I actually like Romo, I really do. But I can't wait until he retires so I never need to hear his name again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People need to tap the breaks with Luck. He's done jack shat in the playoffs except beat up on soft competition. The big four>Big Ben>Rivers>Romo in that order, and in every case those other teams have superior coaching and defensive talent.
If I am picking a QB, right now, to last me the next five years, I am taking that goofy caveman looking MFer.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Romo is an undisciplined QB playing for an undisciplined organization with a poorly constructed roster.
End of argument, and exactly why he will not win a Super Bowl.

Top Bottom