Goodell: NFL may consider getting rid of the extra point

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Goodell: NFL may consider getting rid of the extra point

Found 13 hours ago on NFL Trade Rumors

The idea of eliminating the extra point has come up in recent years as some including Patriots HC Bill Belichick have pointed to the fact that extra points have become almost automatic.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell addressed the topic during an interview with Rich Eisen on Monday.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said, via NFL.com. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

“There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

Goodell wondered whether or not abolishing the extra point could end up having an inverse effect that would discourage teams from attempting two-point conversions.

The Competition Committee would obviously have to agree to any changes, but it appears as though this could be a topic they at least consider in the coming months.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How about we just change the name of the game entirely.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We've never done it that way. We've always done it this way. :scream: :art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The extra point is kind of silly at this point. It's a play that you don't bother watching because you know its a given.

Still there is something to be said about tradition. I hate the idea of eliminating an entire part of the game. You're not just adjusting football rules for safety, you are changing the way the game is played entirely. Comes off as a man looking to make his mark on the NFL more so then a man trying to actually improve the game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The extra point is kind of silly at this point. It's a play that you don't bother watching because you know its a given.

Still there is something to be said about tradition. I hate the idea of eliminating an entire part of the game. You're not just adjusting football rules for safety, you are changing the way the game is played entirely. Comes off as a man looking to make his mark on the NFL more so then a man trying to actually improve the game.
I agree with this. Pretty soon we will just give teams 8 points and forgo the 2 point conversion as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
FG percentages made are at an all-time high, too. We should look into eliminating them, as well. At least the FGs from inside 50 yards. If a team elects not to go for it on 4th down, just award them with 3 pts. Make it so, God-ell.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How about 3 point field goals inside the 40 and 4 pointers outside the 40?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
In the comments section someone brought up keeping a TD at 6 then making the person scoring it kick the XP. :lol

townsend

Banned
Vince McMahon got rid of the extra point in the XFL, clearly Goodell has figured out the winning formula.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This sounds like a move to cut off the length of games and fill the time with more annoying commercials. F Goodell and his never ending meddling.

data

Forbes #1
This sounds like a move to cut off the length of games and fill the time with more annoying commercials. F Goodell and his never ending meddling.
Until the 5:00 mark left in the half, the clock still runs even running out if bounds.

As in the 80s, overall still a 3 hour game, but now less playing and more commercials.

I won't be surprised if the same happens to incompletions soon.

data

Forbes #1
This change would royally screw up stats. Statistically, So if dez Bryant scores a TD, is he awarded 7 points or 6?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
This change would royally screw up stats. Statistically, So if dez Bryant scores a TD, is he awarded 7 points or 6?
8. But only if the scoring play results in a first down, and he's an eligible receiver but not on the field when the team goes for two and follows it up with the soon-to-be-nonexistent onside kick.

jootep

Brand New Member
In the comments section someone brought up keeping a TD at 6 then making the person scoring it kick the XP. :lol
That would be awesome.

A fat DL recovers a fumble for a TD then has to kick the XP.

:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I heard a pretty good suggestion on ESPN. Just make the EP harder by making them kick from the 30 or 35 yard line. It could be the 20 or 25 but the idea is to make it harder.

Top Bottom