Goodell: NFL may consider getting rid of the extra point

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Every job has that guy who is paid a lot but there isn't really anything for him to do as the company would run just fine without him.

So he has to come up with stuff to justify his existence.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Why not just make the teams go for two instead of the extremely gay TDs are 7 but you can go for 8 but get 6 if you fail?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In a way the EP is supposed to be a bonus. A bonus is supposed to be earned. If the EP IS too easy to earn then make it harder. Seems reasonable on the surface.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on NFL possibly eliminating extra point attempts: ‘You can just use your imagination as to what you could add’

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
9:01 am on January 22, 2014

MOBILE, Ala. — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network earlier this week that the league’s competition committee could consider getting rid of all extra point attempts following touchdowns.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tuesday the possibility of abolishing the PAT is intriguing.

“One way to look at it is they’re going to be thinking about adding another play that has more intrigue,” Jones said. “You can just use your imagination as to what you could add to it.”

Jones said that Lamar Hunt, the founder of the American Football League and former owner of the Kansas City Chiefs who died in 2006, “was always for making that change.” Jones also said Hunt lobbied to get the league to eliminate the kneel down and require teams to always try to move the football forward.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell told the NFL Network. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd [attempts]. So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.”

Goodell said one suggested proposal involved a touchdown being worth seven points instead of six, with the potential for an extra play from scrimmage that would yield an eighth point. However, “if you fail, you go back to six [points],” Goodell said.

Jones said he needs more time to think about it.

“I know it’s always been a subject of consideration,” he added.

Cotton

Staff member

There ya go, LT.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why not just make the teams go for two instead of the extremely gay TDs are 7 but you can go for 8 but get 6 if you fail?
Their suggestion is needlessly complicated but I think the thought process is that there is a long standing tradition that NFL games multiply by 7 or 3. Typical scores of 3, 7, 10, 14, 17, 20, 21, 24 etc. turn into 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 22 etc. if you make teams go for 2 all the time. Just too weird, too much to adjust to. At least under their scenario most teams would opt for 7 and the scoring in most games wouldn't really look much different.

And yes, this is absolutely about money and it's ridiculous. Why else would they be looking at this change. Extra points have been basically automatic for at least 40 years. Why is it suddenly a problem? Because someone somewhere said, "Why are we wasting valuable commercial time on a play that is successful 99% of the time? Just give them the point and run a couple more ads instead. And to disincentivize going for two and making us lose that extra commercial revenue, we will penalize a failed conversion."

From a gameplay standpoint, this suggestion makes no sense and harms the game. Extra points are automatic and boring. Fine. But two point conversions are risky and exciting. But instead of encouraging more 2 point conversions, this suggestion would mean less teams would go for two, only at the very, very end of games if a team is desperate. It's a different thought process when you give points back that you already have.

To whoever suggested this change:

:fyou

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
The oddsmakers setting the lines in Vegas would have to adjust, as well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If they want to add intrigue to the extra point, I'd favor just moving it back to something less than automatic. They even can basically pick and choose the percentage made that they want, based on league average FG percentages. Move it back to the 15-25 yard line range.

This would have the added bonus of incentivizing teams to just go for two (assuming you keep the 2 point conversion play inside or at the 5 yard line).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree something should be done. The whole play is a waste of everyone's time, and yeah, money.

If you move the extra point attempt back to the 30, then a lot rides on your kicker. One guy. Teams would win more randomly, as it wouldn't be a given that you could tie a game with a touchdown when behind 7. Random sucks ass.

I like the automatic-7, go back to 6 if you fail to make 8. More actual football for my time. So a "pick-six" becomes a "pick-seven" and "going for two" becomes "going for one". BFD.

People resisted bringing the two-point conversion to the pro game for years, and now you think nothing of it because it clearly makes the game better.

I don't see any negatives to dumping extra point attempts. They are completely retarded.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

There ya go, LT.
I always knew I was brilliant.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Personally I like it. It's a rule from a time when kickers sucked and there was a real chance of it swinging a game either way. I read that in the last 3 years they are made at a clip of 99.4 percent. It's pointless and a waste of time.

I can't stand Peter King but he said something I agree with... If you were trying to create the perfect football game from scratch today, you (most people) wouldn't include an extra point.

I don't agree with most of this commissioner's ideas.. But I like this one. Get rid of it completely or make it much more difficult. It's way too automatic now.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't hate this. XPs are irrelevant and add delays

data

Forbes #1
1. Touchdowns are still 6 points

2. 'XP' is a real play from the 1-yard line

3. 2-point conversion is from the 5 yard line.

Top Bottom