Archer: Young Guns - Sean Lee

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Young Guns: Sean Lee

January, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Since 2010 the Dallas Cowboys have done a better job of finding talent. As a core of Tony Romo,Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Jason Hatcher, Anthony Spencer and Doug Freeinch closer to the end of their careers, the Cowboys need a group of young players heading into their primes to take ownership of the team. Cowboys reporters Calvin Watkins and Todd Archer analyze those players from the class of 2010 on.

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys believe Sean Lee is one of the best middle linebackers in the NFL and paid him like one last summer when he signed a six-year, $42 million extension.

The deal could be worth as much as $51 million provided Lee is healthy.

Health is the only question mark for Lee. He has not played a full season since the Cowboys took him in the second round of the 2010 draft. He missed five games in 2013 because of hamstring and neck injuries. The sprained ligament in his neck requires rest, not surgery, which is the good news.

Despite missing five games, Lee finished second on the defense with 123 tackles. His four interceptions led the Cowboys, which is also a sign of how poorly the secondary played. He also had six pass deflections, three quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery.

He is the quarterback of the defense. He is also the brains and the heart; the defensive version of Witten in a way. Lee had a run of seven straight games with double-digit tackles, including a season-high 21 against the San Diego Chargers. One of his four interceptions was good for a 52-yard return for a touchdown. He finished with 174 return yards on his picks.

Lee has a nose for the ball. Unfortunately injuries have a nose for him. In order for Lee to be considered one of the best linebackers in football, he has to play a full season. Until then, the talk is only about his potential.

If he can play in 80 percent of the snaps in 2014, he will earn an extra $1.5 million on his 2015 base salary that is already guaranteed. From 2016 to 2019, he can earn an extra $7.5 million toward his base salaries with 80 percent playing time in the previous years.

There is incentive for Lee to stay healthy. The Cowboys will gladly pay him, but they know they need him on the field if the defense is ever to become a playoff-level unit.

Young Guns
DeMarco Murray
Barry Church

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Sean Lee when he is on the field but my god I'm not sure I have seen a player as injury prone as him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miles Austin and Matt Johnson.
Miles Austin is a pussy. He drags his injuries out twice as long as possible.

I just don't believe that Sean Lee is taking it easy out there. I actually believe his injuries are legit. Man is just made of glass.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Miles Austin is a pussy. He drags his injuries out twice as long as possible.

I just don't believe that Sean Lee is taking it easy out there. I actually believe his injuries are legit. Man is just made of glass.
Agreed on both counts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would not mind spending another choice in May on an ILB. We have to have a viable backup to Lee. Hell, if the right guy was there, I'd even consider moving Lee outside.

There are some decent ILBs in this draft. Borland in particular is going to be a good one IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would not mind spending another choice in May on an ILB. We have to have a viable backup to Lee. Hell, if the right guy was there, I'd even consider moving Lee outside.

There are some decent ILBs in this draft. Borland in particular is going to be a good one IMO.
Yeah the Big Ten tends to be a good place to find middle linebackers. I like Borland a lot but I wonder how high of a draft pick we'd need to use. I could easily see him going in the second round and I would prefer not to use a second rounder on a LBer. In the third round though I think he could be excellent value. I think he will be a legitimate starting NFL middle linebacker.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd have no problem moving Lee outside although most of the LB's I'm looking at are guys who are Von Miller types who would rush as a DE in passing situations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have no problem moving Lee outside although most of the LB's I'm looking at are guys who are Von Miller types who would rush as a DE in passing situations.
I actually like Wilber for that role. By the end of last year he was our best LBer on the field. He has some legitimate pass rush ability, he just sucks as a DE against the run. What I'd do is look at Wilber, Carter and Lee as my starting LBers. Then draft someone like Borland knowing that Lee will either get hurt or you can plug Borland in and move Lee to Carter's spot when Carter gets beat like a drum in coverage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah the Big Ten tends to be a good place to find middle linebackers. I like Borland a lot but I wonder how high of a draft pick we'd need to use. I could easily see him going in the second round and I would prefer not to use a second rounder on a LBer. In the third round though I think he could be excellent value. I think he will be a legitimate starting NFL middle linebacker.
If he is the best value there....I would have no issue taking him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he is the best value there....I would have no issue taking him.
It's not ideal but it would sure beat another second round pick who never sees the field. It just shouldn't be that difficult to find LBers for this defense.

On the other hand we can't seem to draft a safety or D-lineman to start in this defense to save our lives. I'd love it if we could find someone on the D-line or at safety with our premium 2 picks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually like Wilber for that role. By the end of last year he was our best LBer on the field. He has some legitimate pass rush ability, he just sucks as a DE against the run. What I'd do is look at Wilber, Carter and Lee as my starting LBers. Then draft someone like Borland knowing that Lee will either get hurt or you can plug Borland in and move Lee to Carter's spot when Carter gets beat like a drum in coverage.
Yea I don't disagree but I look at guys like Ford and Van Noy as guys who would play that same role as Wilber, and I wouldn't pass those guys up if they were good value when we're up.

Top Bottom