User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 117

Thread: Should the Death Penalty be abolished

  1. #1
    Senior Member 2233boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,617

    Should the Death Penalty be abolished

    In the aftermath of the second botched execution recently what are your thoughts?

    I think it should what do the rest of you say. I'll make a guess, bipolar may be the only one to agree with me perhaps no one will. I think it's unethical, immoral and unconstitutional.

    I just found an article by Amnesty international that says it's also more expensive then life in prison trails. Millions could be saved specifically in court costs.

    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost
    Other links
    http://www.icomdp.org/arguments-agai...death-penalty/
    http://www.deathpenalty.org/section.php?id=13

    Post your opinion and tell us why.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Clay_Allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by 2233boys View Post
    In the aftermath of the second botched execution recently what are your thoughts?

    I think it should what do the rest of you say. I'll make a guess, bipolar may be the only one to agree with me perhaps no one will. I think it's unethical, immoral and unconstitutional.

    I just found an article by Amnesty international that says it's also more expensive then life in prison trails. Millions could be saved specifically in court costs.

    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost
    Other links
    http://www.icomdp.org/arguments-agai...death-penalty/
    http://www.deathpenalty.org/section.php?id=13

    Post your opinion and tell us why.
    It's only more expensive if you make it more expensive. We just have a very stupid and inefficient court system and it takes too damned long to exhaust appeals. The numbers are also skewed by states like Cali who use the sentence a lot but almost never carry it out. I think we get it done often enough in Texas we may actually see some cost savings if we get them dead within 5 years, like we sometimes do.

    IMO, there are just some people that shouldn't be rewarded for their crimes with free room and board and cable TV. I personally don't think we use it nearly enough. If you love murderers and think a life of ease and comfort should be their "punishment", I just disagree.

  3. The following user likes this post:


  4. #3
    Senior Member 1bigfan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,694
    I'm all in favor of the death penalty. I know the deaths of inmates is supposed to be humane but to me if a person committed a heinous crime that landed them on death row then, IMO, they deserve a painful death.

    A guy viciously kills an entire family, including the children, doesn't deserve to just drift away peacefully into a "deep sleep". I don't mind them suffering some before they die.

    Also, call me crazy but I'd be in favor of public executions like they used to do centuries ago. I think seeing someone punished in a public square would be a huge deterrent for committing a crime in America. And it doesn't have to be just for murder cases. Some rapes someone or commits a robbery, tie them to a post and beat their ass in a public square to send a firm message to any would-be hoodlums.

    Stuff like that sends a stronger message than community service and fines.
    Last edited by 1bigfan13; 07-24-2014 at 08:28 PM.

  5. The following 2 users like this post:


  6. #4
    Senior Member 1bigfan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay_Allison View Post
    It's only more expensive if you make it more expensive. We just have a very stupid and inefficient court system and it takes too damned long to exhaust appeals. The numbers are also skewed by states like Cali who use the sentence a lot but almost never carry it out. I think we get it done often enough in Texas we may actually see some cost savings if we get them dead within 5 years, like we sometimes do.

    IMO, there are just some people that shouldn't be rewarded for their crimes with free room and board and cable TV. I personally don't think we use it nearly enough. If you love murderers and think a life of ease and comfort should be their "punishment", I just disagree.
    That's one of my biggest gripes with the judicial system. It takes too damn long for the appeals process to play out.

    If the DNA matches up and the case is air tight and appeal should be heard within a year and the convicted criminal should be frying within 18 months of his initial sentence.

    It pisses me off when I see these guys who are finally being put to death for a crime that they committed way back in '82.

  7. #5
    Senior Member jeebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    661
    As currently constructed the death penty should be discontinued.

  8. #6
    Senior Member 2233boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,617
    How are we any better then them if we are killing them? Who are we to determine if a human being lives or dies? What if they were wrongly convicted? All questions that need to be answered.

    We are in great company with China and Iran in still having the death penalty. A lot of the rest of the civilized world including almost all of Europe no longer employ the death penalty.

    I think saying I love murders just because I choose not to be one, and why should they get to live a life of ease and comfort is terribly simplistic and not even close to being true. I have no issue with making life sentence folks work and not having Tv and the like.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Clay_Allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by 2233boys View Post
    How are we any better then them if we are killing them?
    How does locking someone in prison make us better than kidnappers? How does fining people make us different than thieves? Who are we to judge anyone's actions, right? Why don't we just give up on punishing people altogether?

  10. #8
    Senior Member 2233boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    I'm all in favor of the death penalty. I know the deaths of inmates is supposed to be humane but to me if a person committed a heinous crime that landed them on death row then, IMO, they deserve a painful death.

    A guy viciously kills an entire family, including the children, doesn't deserve to just drift away peacefully into a "deep sleep". I don't mind them suffering some before they die.

    Also, call me crazy but I'd be in favor of public executions like they used to do centuries ago. I think seeing someone punished in a public square would be a huge deterrent for committing a crime in America. And it doesn't have to be just for murder cases. Some rapes someone or commits a robbery, tie them to a post and beat their ass in a public square to send a firm message to any would-be hoodlums.

    Stuff like that sends a stronger message than community service and fines.
    Making a punishment so that the person would suffer would certainly be unconstitutional. You'd prefer we be just like China? Death penalty has never been shown to be a deterrent for crime. A better solution to stop crime would be to decriminalize drugs. It would empty out our prisons and free up our courts and law enforcement. 50% of the people in federal prison are in there for drug related crimes.

    If you have to kill people you better be sure and you had better down it legally. Your dealing with a persons life you need to be 100% everything was done above board and you are right .

  11. #9
    Senior Member 2233boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay_Allison View Post
    How does locking someone in prison make us better than kidnappers? How does fining people make us different than thieves? Who are we to judge anyone's actions, right? Why don't we just give up on punishing people altogether?
    Apples and oranges

  12. #10
    Senior Member Clay_Allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by 2233boys View Post
    Apples and oranges.

    Your comparing murder for "legalized" murder
    Or kidnapping for "legalized" kidnapping. If you want to say due process is meaningless, don't be a hypocrite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •