Mailbag: Do Pro Bowl Nods Signify Cowboys’ Talent?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=2]Mailbag: Do Pro Bowl Nods Signify Cowboys’ Talent?[/h]Posted 1 hour ago

CHARLIE GARCIA

AUSTIN, TX
Does the fact that the Cowboys have five players going to the Pro Bowl indicate that they have talent, and the coaching just needs to get better?

Rowan: Not to take anything away from any of the players going because they all had stellar seasons, but let’s keep in mind three of them were alternates and only two were initially selected. Plus, five solid players won’t win a championship. There’s 17 more starters total. Only one of those players that made it, Jason Hatcher, came from the defensive side and depth was lacking on both sides of the ball. That’s not to give the coaches a free pass and the play-calling on both sides left more to be desired, but sometimes the evaluation of the talent can be skewed or misconstrued.

David: I certainly think the Cowboys have talent. You look around the roster and see Romo, Smith, Bryant, Murray, Hatcher, Lee, Ware – there are definitely some incredibly talented players … at the top. The problem is, I’m not sure how deep it goes. The 49ers lost Pro Bowl guard Mike Iupati and All-Pro linebacker Navorro Bowman to gruesome injuries during Sunday’s NFC Championship Game, but they had quality players to fill in. The Cowboys’ five or 10 best players are top notch, but the rest of the roster needs addressing.

ERIC HERZOG
LAPORTE, TX
Why do you think there has not been a move made at defensive coordinator? The defense was awful. I understand injuries play a role, but there were too many times we just flat weren’t competitive. Do you think changes are coming or is Monte Kiffin getting one more chance?

Rowan:It certainly sounds as if Kiffin will get another chance, which leads one to believe that the front office and the general manager believe the players are solely to blame for being the worst defense in the team’s history. Given how Rob Ryan was quickly shown the door and wasn’t offered any immunity despite a slew of injuries, I’m surprised to see

injuries be offered as any sort of excuse this time around. The takeaways were greater this year, but that’s the only statistic to point to as a positive from the 2013 defense, which never got to see its full arsenal in place.

David: This is just a guess on my part, but it sure seems like Rob Ryan’s rejuvenation in New Orleans had an effect on Jerry Jones. The Saints’ woes on defense have lost them a lot of games, even with an elite trigger man like Drew Brees at quarterback. That sounds incredibly familiar to the situation Tony Romo found himself in the past two seasons. After seeing his old coordinator find success, it seems like Jones doesn’t want to once again pay for a knee jerk reaction.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Does the fact that the Cowboys have five players going to the Pro Bowl indicate that they have talent, and the coaching just needs to get better?
Whether or not the coaching needs to get better, it's not indicated by the fact that the Cowboys have 5 players in the Pro Bowl.

As has been said many times, especially by Bob Sturm, the Cowboys 1-10 roster matches up at least ok with lots of teams. Its the rest of the roster that is woefully inadequate, in a league where you see more like 33 guys get starters minutes than 22.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether or not the coaching needs to get better, it's not indicated by the fact that the Cowboys have 5 players in the Pro Bowl.

As has been said many times, especially by Bob Sturm, the Cowboys 1-10 roster matches up at least ok with lots of teams. Its the rest of the roster that is woefully inadequate, in a league where you see more like 33 guys get starters minutes than 22.
Our roster is still an 8-8 roster. We have some talent obviously otherwise we would be a 4-12 team. Sure we have five guys going to the probowl but a number of them weren't exactly top picks at their position. Instead they were substitutes. I'd say that is about correct for a team with 8-8 talent.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
No Pat McQuistan, no Super Bowl. Just sayin'.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Hatcher was selected as the first pick (#2 overall behind only Suh) by Team Rice for the Pro Bowl.

I bet that impresses Jerry also.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't care about the pro bowl, but the talent was certainly good enough to at least make the playoffs the past three years. The coaching was not.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The obvious answer is yes, the amount of talent compiled by Jerry Jones is just absolutely sick.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and a joke. In the AP All-Pro voting the Cowboys have a whopping two players that managed to make the second team roster (Witten and Ware) and for the life of me I don't know who Ware had to pay off to even get on the second team roster.

Evaluating your team's talent by who made the Pro Bowl is an exercise in ignorance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Hatcher was selected as the first pick (#2 overall behind only Suh) by Team Rice for the Pro Bowl.

I bet that impresses Jerry also.
Oh, you know it does. He will take anything that even comes close to what he views as vindication.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and a joke. In the AP All-Pro voting the Cowboys have a whopping two players that managed to make the second team roster (Witten and Ware) and for the life of me I don't know who Ware had to pay off to even get on the second team roster.

Evaluating your team's talent by who made the Pro Bowl is an exercise in ignorance.
The bigger joke was that abomination of a selection show. It was horrible and clownish. A complete embarrassment.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The bigger joke was that abomination of a selection show. It was horrible and clownish. A complete embarrassment.

Anytime Deion is a part of something, it's going to be a little bit retarded.

Look at Dez. :tippytoe

Top Bottom