Watkins: Garrett not concerned about extension

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett not concerned about extension
January, 21, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he doesn't believe in a lame-duck status for coaches, saying it was a "politicians" word.

The man who enters that lame-duck status, coach Jason Garrett, isn't concerned about entering the final year of his deal with the Dallas Cowboys either.

"I'm focus on doing my job and our staff's job as well as we can do it," Garrett said. "That's always been my approach in this game, as a player and a coach and that’s what I'm focused on. The business side takes care of itself. We got to do a better job to breakthrough and become the team we want to be."

You can look at how other teams approached lame-duck statuses with their coaches. Washington fired coach Mike Shanahan before he entered the final year of his contract, and Rex Ryan received a contract extension from the New York Jets.

The Cowboys have elected to keep Garrett with his current deal in place.

Something could happen when the 2014 season begins in terms of a contract extension, Jones has done it before, most recently with former coach Wade Phillips.

Garrett however, would have to convince Jones he needs a contract extension during the season. For that to happen, the Cowboys would have to get off to a strong start, but the way things have gone for this franchise, losing in a win-or-go home game the past three seasons, it's doubtful Jones would extend Garrett before the end of the 2014 season.

So Garrett must work under these conditions and hope his team responds to the challenge of reaching the postseason.

"We just have to simply get better," Garrett said. "We've been close the last three years, as we all know, the opportunity in that last game of the season to win our division, the last two years it's a two-minute drive from winning our division. We didn't get that done and we have to live with that reality. We have to look at the things that are positive and build on them, and correct the other things and (the Senior Bowl) is one of the real early stages of correcting the other things; Trying to add personnel to our team that can really make a difference to help us get to the next level."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The good news is it seems like they are set up to clean house if (when) this coaching staff again fails and again shows itself to be poorly constructed and incompetent.

The bad news is it should have already happened.

The other bad news is Jerry is himself incompetent and there's no guarantee that Jerry will recognize the insufficiencies of this staff and he still might not move on. And if that happens, I don't know if I can take this shit anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nothing mysterious about all this. Garrett is on notice that he either turns things around or he is gone. I know it, Garrett knows it, Jones knows it, indeed the entire world knows it so it is a waste of time for the media to continue to harp on the subject.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Nothing mysterious about all this. Garrett is on notice that he either turns things around or he is gone. I know it, Garrett knows it, Jones knows it, indeed the entire world knows it so it is a waste of time for the media to continue to harp on the subject.
This past season should have been his "on notice" season. Frankly, I'll be shocked if we finish even 8-8 next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This past season should have been his "on notice" season. Frankly, I'll be shocked if we finish even 8-8 next year.
Really? At this point I'd be shocked to see Dallas finish at anything other then 8-8.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah it should have been but I think Jones is tired of paying coaches the rest of their contract when he fires them. Garrett and his contract could expire at the same time with another 500 season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I expect regression from a roster that won't improve, mainly on defense.
Depends. Shockingly, we actually did address the OL with 2 additions in Waters and Frederick, and it showed, as did the panning out of some of our wildcatting in Ron Leary.

Maybe we add two or three key DLs and Tyrone Crawford proves he can play a little.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Depends. Shockingly, we actually did address the OL with 2 additions in Waters and Frederick, and it showed, as did the panning out of some of our wildcatting in Ron Leary.

Maybe we add two or three key DLs and Tyrone Crawford proves he can play a little.
I agree. If we play our cards right on the DL and find a legit safety we could be ok on defense. Big ifs though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Translation: I am not in a position to make demands. If I need my nuts, Jerry has them hung over his rear view mirror for now.

Top Bottom