Hoax of the Century

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/debunking-911-myths-pentagon

Debunking the 9/11 Myths: Special Report - The Pentagon
The following content is from an in-depth investigation of the conspiracy theories surround the attacks of 9/11, which was published in the March 2005 issue of Popular Mechanics. That cover story was expanded and published in August 2006 as a book titled Debunking 9/11 Myths. The fully revised and updated 2011 edition of the book is now on sale.
BY THE EDITORS

February 3, 2005 12:00 AM

The Pentagon
At 9:37 am on 9/11, 51 minutes after the first plane hit the World Trade Center, the Pentagon was similarly attacked. Though dozens of witnesses saw a Boeing 757 hit the building, conspiracy advocates insist there is evidence that a missile or a different type of plane smashed into the Pentagon.

Big Plane, Small Holes
Claim: Two holes were visible in the Pentagon immediately after the attack: a 75-ft.-wide entry hole in the building's exterior wall, and a 16-ft.-wide hole in Ring C, the Pentagon's middle ring. Conspiracy theorists claim both holes are far too small to have been made by a Boeing 757. "How does a plane 125 ft. wide and 155 ft. long fit into a hole which is only 16 ft. across?" asks reopen911.org, a Web site "dedicated to discovering the bottom line truth to what really occurred on September 11, 2001."

The truth is of even less importance to French author Thierry Meyssan, whose baseless assertions are fodder for even mainstream European and Middle Eastern media. In his book The Big Lie, Meyssan concludes that the Pentagon was struck by a satellite-guided missile—part of an elaborate U.S. military coup. "This attack," he writes, "could only be committed by United States military personnel against other U.S. military personnel."

Hole Truth: Flight 77's landing gear punched a 12-ft. hole into the Pentagon's Ring C. (Photograph by Department of Defense)FACT: When American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon's exterior wall, Ring E, it created a hole approximately 75 ft. wide, according to the ASCE Pentagon Building Performance Report. The exterior facade collapsed about 20 minutes after impact, but ASCE based its measurements of the original hole on the number of first-floor support columns that were destroyed or damaged. Computer simulations confirmed the findings.

Why wasn't the hole as wide as a 757's 124-ft.-10-in. wingspan? A crashing jet doesn't punch a cartoon-like outline of itself into a reinforced concrete building, says ASCE team member Mete Sozen, a professor of structural engineering at Purdue University. In this case, one wing hit the ground; the other was sheared off by the force of the impact with the Pentagon's load-bearing columns, explains Sozen, who specializes in the behavior of concrete buildings. What was left of the plane flowed into the structure in a state closer to a liquid than a solid mass. "If you expected the entire wing to cut into the building," Sozen tells PM, "it didn't happen."

The tidy hole in Ring C was 12 ft. wide—not 16 ft. ASCE concludes it was made by the jet's landing gear, not by the fuselage.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Very interesting stuff, Jiggy.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
So, rather than plant a conventional bomb and simply frame Al Qaeda operatives, the US government fired a missile into the Pentagon and went about the infinitely more complex task of creating a story with millions of moving parts.

But then, I guess that's what they want me to think, maaaaaan.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, rather than plant a conventional bomb and simply frame Al Qaeda operatives, the US government fired a missile into the Pentagon and went about the infinitely more complex task of creating a story with millions of moving parts.

But then, I guess that's what they want me to think, maaaaaan.
There is also the not so small obstacle of eye witnesses to overcome. What, they just killed all the ones that saw the missile fly into the building?

I just don't think our gov't is smart enough to pull off something like this. I think conspiracy people give them way too much credit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is also the not so small obstacle of eye witnesses to overcome. What, they just killed all the ones that saw the missile fly into the building?

I just don't think our gov't is smart enough to pull off something like this. I think conspiracy people give them way too much credit.
Yep. That's the Hollywood version of the government applications.

Top Bottom