Cowboys position series: With Tyron Smith, Dallas ranks with NFL's best at this spot

Carp

DCC 4Life
By DAVID MOORE
Staff Writer
dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: 24 June 2014 10:04 PM

Offensive Tackle

Quick synopsis: This position is considered the foundation of any good offensive line. The left tackle must be physical, athletic and adapt at protecting the quarterback as he consistently finds himself pitted against the opponent’s top rusher.

2013 review: Smith became the first Cowboys left tackle to receive a Pro Bowl invitation since Flozell Adams in 2008. It was well deserved. Smith asserted himself as one of the league’s top athletes at the position. He can overpower defenders in the run game and has the quickness and technique to drop back into pass protection and neutralize the defense’s prime threat. He’s also durable. Smith started all 16 games in ’13 and has missed only one of 48 possible starts since entering the league.

2014 outlook: Signing Smith to an extension is one of the priorities for the franchise heading into the start of the regular season. He won’t turn 24 until December. He should anchor the offensive line for years to come.

Depth Chart:

Tyron Smith

Darrion Weems

Jermey Parnell

John Wetzel

Josh Aladenoye

Darius Morris

On Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Depth here may be the only real weakness on the OL. If Free or Smith are injured, Parnell and I guess Martin have to step up. I don't mind Parnell or Martin at RT, but well, all I can say is "Stay healthy, Tyron."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As good as the guard depth has got recently, we are status quo at tackle and I don't feel all that great about it.

Parnell and Weems? Feh.

If Smith or Free go down, I am putting Martin in and plugging in one of the guards at his spot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Right...I said that in another thread...we are doing a good job of taking a look at vet Gs, but we seem to be putting way too much faith in Parnell and Weems.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As good as the guard depth has got recently, we are status quo at tackle and I don't feel all that great about it.

Parnell and Weems? Feh.

If Smith or Free go down, I am putting Martin in and plugging in one of the guards at his spot.
I think that would make the most sense. Especially since Martin basically played LT his entire college career anyway. He might not be perfect for LT but he should be able to hold up better then the scrubs we have backing it up now. Plus we have the depth at guard to handle that move.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Right...I said that in another thread...we are doing a good job of taking a look at vet Gs, but we seem to be putting way too much faith in Parnell and Weems.
Yeah, we are dangerously thin at T, no doubt. I wish we could have gotten at least a decent guy or couple of guys in the offseason.

Top Bottom