Report: Geno Smith's attitude caused slide

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Report: Geno Smith's attitude caused slide

NESN - ‎Thursday‎, ‎May‎ ‎2‎, ‎2013

Geno Smith is blaming his now former agents for his falling all the way into the second round of this year’s NFL draft. But it appears he might actually be the one at fault.

Smith, who finally came off the board at No. 39 to the New York Jets, fired his agents after the draft-day slide. But some league executive seemed unimpressed with Smith, according to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

The sources described Smith as having a bad attitude and even accused him of spending too much time on his phone instead of paying attention to coaches.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said one league executive. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches.”

The same accusation came from another league executive, who claimed that Smith was something of a loner during his visit to their facility.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one of the sources said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

The overwhelming perception wasn’t that people around the league didn’t like Smith, rather, that they worried about his personality and how players would react to him in the locker room.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” said another league executive. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets better hope that all the criticisms of Smith are mere accusations rather than truth. They’ve had enough behavioral issues in their locker room over the past few years, and by the sounds of it, Geno won’t be mending any of those fences.

Carp

DCC 4Life
At a certain point it just seems like piling on. He still went pretty high, saw a few mocks with him going in this range, so it was not some kind of crazy fall for him. Why are Nassib and Barkley not getting picked apart? They fell to the 4th for crying out loud.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Told you guys something was weird about him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I can somewhat relate to Geno Smith. I'm not naturally an outgoing person who'll chat up everyone. I usually like to sit back and observe the scene before jumping in, so to speak. I'm not shy, but I'm not one of those guys that strikes up random conversations with people I don't know.

Doesn't mean he's douche or anything. That's just his natural personality.

But I understand why teams would be hesitant to take a QB with that type of personality. You want your QBs to be natural leaders, outspoken, and involved. You can grow into that over time but I'm sure teams would rather have a guy who naturally exudes those traits than having to try to coax it out of them.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can somewhat relate to Geno Smith. I'm not naturally an outgoing person who'll chat up everyone. I usually like to sit back and observe the scene before jumping in, so to speak. I'm not shy, but I'm not one of those guys that strikes up random conversations with people I don't know.

Doesn't mean he's douche or anything. That's just his natural personality.

But I understand why teams would be hesitant to take a QB with that type of personality. You want your QBs to be natural leaders, outspoken, and involved. You can grow into that over time but I'm sure teams would rather have a guy who naturally exudes those traits than having to try to coax it out of them.
If you have listened to an interview with him, he's not a shy person. He will tell you immediately how damn good he is. He will tell you all about his stats first and foremost. To me, that's a huge turn-off.

According to him, he can read any defense and it is proven by a low INT ratio. Nevermind that offense pretty much didn't require him to make reads and many of his throws were to wide open guys.

I don't like how he sounds and comes across in even simple radio interviews, he doesn't sound confident, he sounds like a retard who has been programmed to say the things that you want to hear, but it is not genuine. I'd hate it if my team drafted him, even in the second round.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If you have listened to an interview with him, he's not a shy person. He will tell you immediately how damn good he is. He will tell you all about his stats first and foremost. To me, that's a huge turn-off.

According to him, he can read any defense and it is proven by a low INT ratio. Nevermind that offense pretty much didn't require him to make reads and many of his throws were to wide open guys.

I don't like how he sounds and comes across in even simple radio interviews, he doesn't sound confident, he sounds like a retard who has been programmed to say the things that you want to hear, but it is not genuine. I'd hate it if my team drafted him, even in the second round.
I've haven't listened to any of his interviews so I can't comment.

But the fact that he fired his agents right after the draft does make me believe that he's a bit too into himself. He certainly shouldn't be bragging about his passing numbers. Those numbers were largely the result of him playing against piss poor Big XII defenses.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
He went to the exact wrong team, with that not-as-fat doofus caring not one iota about the offense.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger

You must love a real humble guy like Tebow.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The guy seems like a serious mental midget.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All the above and in addition he is not first round talent/material.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Mike Glennon/Matt Barkley will have better NFL careers than Geno

I would've disagreed with you before the draft but after seeing his attitude during and post draft, I agree.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Jets are heading down the same road we did pre-Romo. Smith is not the answer. But, they have like 4 other QBs on staff on top of Sanchez. :lol

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Anyone who watched a game where wvu was getting annihilated last year could have told you this.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Anyone who watched a game where wvu was getting annihilated last year could have told you this.
Right, it's Smith's fault that WVU had the worst defense ever devised by mankind.

I don't even like him that much, but this piling on before he's even played a game is ridiculous.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
He's clearly an insecure bitch.
Then it surprises me that we didn't draft him. We love having those kinds of players on our roster.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Right, it's Smith's fault that WVU had the worst defense ever devised by mankind.

I don't even like him that much, but this piling on before he's even played a game is ridiculous.
Their bad defense made Geno play terribly and pout and scowl on the sidelines by himself?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The Jets are heading down the same road we did pre-Romo. Smith is not the answer. But, they have like 4 other QBs on staff on top of Sanchez. :lol
And not a single one should be a starting QB in the NFL.

Top Bottom